Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

St. Patty's Day Tribute to Flogging Molly

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-17-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering it's St. Patrick's Day, I thought I'd make an appreciation thread to one of my favorite bands, Flogging Molly, or the best band most people have never heard of.

New album (their third major record) comes out relatively soon. I believe they just finished it. They're starting a minor show circuit right now, and will be playing with the Warped Tour again for the second time in support of the new release.

I don't know anyone who's seen them live who hasn't become an instant follower.

Old 03-17-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: St. Patty's Day Tribute to Flogging Molly

I love them. Saw 'em twice, each time they were great. Lots of energy (even when the singer had the flu, like at one of the shows that I went to).

I made a St. Patty's Day CD for my friends today. It's chock full 'o Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, the Tossers, the Pogues, the Saw Doctors, and the like.

Originally posted by BJacks

New album (their third major record) comes out relatively soon. I believe they just finished it. They're starting a minor show circuit right now, and will be playing with the Warped Tour again for the second time in support of the new release.
They sent out an e-mail to their list yesterday that said that they'll be entering the studio shortly and the new album is expected in September.
Old 03-17-04, 04:01 PM

Re: Re: St. Patty's Day Tribute to Flogging Molly

Originally posted by DJLinus
They sent out an e-mail to their list yesterday that said that they'll be entering the studio shortly and the new album is expected in September.
Ah, I missed that part. I spoke to their PR company in January and I gleamed that it was going to be finished in the Spring. Guess not. Can't wait to see them on Vans! I plan on bringing a video crew to shoot backstage. It'll be grand.
Old 03-17-04, 05:41 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great thead man!

I found out about FM about 6 months ago. Downloaded some shit, and just really dug em. Bought the albums, saw em live and have been a huge fan ever since. Greatest live show i have ever been to, excluding Radiohead.

Dave was so drunk he was insultin people in the crowd. it was HILARIOUS.

they played the key club here in LA today. Would have love to go but

1. im not 21

2. i had school

3. i didn't win tickets

oh also, i dunno bout the new album. where did you hear your info from? i saw them in concert a few months ago and dave said that "next week will begin to write our new album"

dunno if thats coming out soon or not though. then again, he was drunk, so maybe he forgot they already did it or something.

i love them!
Old 03-17-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by whynotsmile
oh also, i dunno bout the new album. where did you hear your info from? i saw them in concert a few months ago and dave said that "next week will begin to write our new album"
Straight from their website:

For those of you on this side of the pond, in August/September 2004 look for the arrival of a new Flogging Molly record on SideOneDummy Records (www.sideonedummy.com).
Old 03-17-04, 09:36 PM

If you don't own any Flogging Molly, their CD Drunken Lullabies is on sale this week at Best Buy for $9.99.

Well, it's also that price if you do own any of their CDs, but you get the idea...
Old 03-18-04, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
They played tonight here in AZ. Seems like they do that every year.
Old 03-18-04, 03:13 AM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
I love Flogging Molly; they're a great live band. I used to be a big fan of Matt Hensley when I was a kid. He's their accordion player who used to be a pro skateboarder.

Flogging Molly pales in comparison to the Pogues, though. Hope this photo shows up:

Irish singer Shane MacGowan former member of the Pogues, entertains the crowd at Belfast City Hall, Northern Ireland, Wednesday during the St Patrick's Day festival.
Old 03-18-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by funkyryno
Flogging Molly pales in comparison to the Pogues, though.
Never seen the Pogues so I guess I can't really say, but I think Flogging Molly blows away the Pogues. I know it's sacrilege to say such a thing, but it's how I feel.

FM is harder, faster, more guitars, and better songs (in general).
Old 03-18-04, 11:44 AM

I think both FM and The Pogues have different styles, so it's not really fair to compare them. They're both Irish-based musically, but as mentioned FM plays a lot harder and faster. Both are great bands.
Old 03-19-04, 04:06 PM
Suspended

Chalk me up as one who saw them happen to open for a band, and became an instant fan. Drunken Lullabies is awesome!
Old 03-19-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i havent seen a Flogging Molly show yet where they havent blown away everyone they played with. AMAZING band live.

alot of people still dont know that Dave from FM is also the singer of Fastway of "Say What You Will" fame, a song still played daily on alot of rock stations.
Old 03-19-04, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Saw them last week and they were indeed amazing.
Old 03-22-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love Flogging Molly and the Pogues. Though if I had to choose I would choose Shane above all.

The reason they are being compared comes from the fact that before they were the Pogues, they were Pogue Mahone (kiss my arse), before that Shane was The Nips, and before that he was Nipple Erectors and they were punk.

But for true Irish Rebel music, one must check out Eire Og.