Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Movie theaters showing DLP movies?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This past Saturday I went to go see 'Starsky and Hutch' in San Francisco. They had a 6:20pm showing listed as "Starsky and Hutch - DLP" and a 7:20pm showing listed as just "Starsky and Hutch". The guy at the ticket counter next to us asked what the difference was between the two shows and apparently didn't like the answer and bought the later show instead. I couldn't hear what the employee was saying and no one inside knew what I was talking about.

We went to the "DLP" showing and didn't notice any real difference. The picture might have been crisper but I had never been to that theater before so I couldn't compare to other movies. They also didn't run a "DLP" trailer or brag about the new technology before the film.

Any ideas?
Old 03-10-04, 05:18 PM

http://www.dlp.com/dlp_cinema/default.asp
Old 03-10-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awesome. I wish they had played the DLP trailer but the movie still did look crisp without the flicker that film usually has.

Thanks for the link.
Old 03-11-04, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I saw Once Upon A Time In Mexico and was floored by it. The picture was just jaw-dropping.
Old 03-16-04, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it would be awesome for an action or fast-paced film. I'm hooked and am looking forward to future movies in the DLP format. Maybe Spiderman 2 will use DLP.
Old 03-17-04, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by yashan
I think it would be awesome for an action or fast-paced film. I'm hooked and am looking forward to future movies in the DLP format. Maybe Spiderman 2 will use DLP.
Haha, hopefully the colorwheels in those extremely expensive projectors are quick enough.

A general complaint about home DLP projectors such as the one I own (the x1) is something called a Rainbow effect, where your eyes see the three separate colors faster than the projector assembles them together as an image. So especially during fast paced scenes, or scenes where light and dark colors contrast with each other, you see litter slivers of red-green-blue fly by real fast.

Maybe the guy in front of you at the theater was succeptable to them (as most people are) and thought they would ruin his experience. In any case, I doubt a projector of that calibre would exhibit those problems as much as a home projector does.

I'd like to see a movie on DLP though, but I don't think any theaters around here have them yet.
Old 03-17-04, 02:53 AM

The movie theater DLP's are 3-chip. There are no colorwheels.
Old 03-20-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by gotapex
The movie theater DLP's are 3-chip. There are no colorwheels.
I figured they probably were.
Old 03-20-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

that's why they cost $40,000 more than the single chip models. not that i think they can justify it.
Old 03-24-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3 years ago I saw Toy Story 2 in DLP up in Dallas. I really doubt there's a better way to demo DLP than with an all digital source. Quite easily the best looking movie I have ever seen in a theater.