Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Warners catalog titles 2004-2006

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-04, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warners catalog titles 2004-2006

This info comes from the excellent MastersOfCinema.com site...

"Warner Home Video (USA) last night announced hundreds of forthcoming DVD titles. We've culled the MoC-flavoured titles and list them below in no particular order:

Seven "new to DVD" Hitchcock's are due this year [a few of the seven Warner Hitchcock's already have DVD releases, namely Rope (1948), Under Capricorn (1949) and Strangers On A Train (1951) (the latter is currently being restored)]. The other titles will be Stage Fright (1950), I Confess (1953), Dial M For Murder (1954), and The Wrong Man (1956).

John Ford's The Searchers (1956) is "getting a full photochemical film restoration followed by a new transfer" and will be released in 2006 for the 50th anniversary along with other Wayne and Ford pictures, including Stagecoach (1939) which will be revisited.

King Vidor's The Big Parade (1925) is "being restored on film from the recently recovered (thought lost) original nitrate camera negative".

Ernst Lubitsch's To Be Or Not To Be (1942) has "been remastered from nitrate" and will be coming in 2005 along with Ninotchka (1939).

Gone With The Wind (Fleming, 1939) and Meet Me In St Louis (Minnelli, 1944) will be released in "ultra-resolution" (WB's proprietary process for presenting 3 strip Technicolor films with high levels of sharpness and registration, like The Adventures Of Robin Hood and Singin' In The Rain)

A host of film noir titles will be released this July, all have commentaries, including Out Of The Past (Tourneur, 1947); The Set-Up (Wise, 1949) commentary by Wise and Scorsese; Asphalt Jungle (Huston. 1950); Gun Crazy (Lewis, 1950); and Murder, My Sweet (Dmytryk, 1944).

The classic WB gangster films will get a remastered boxset later this year too.

Some George Cukor, including Dinner At Eight (1933), Camille (1936), and more.

A large Greta Garbo tie-in with her 100th birthday in 2005 including "the release of all her most beloved films".

A Busby Berkeley box set in 2005 containing David Thompson's Going Through The Roof documentary.

Cat People (Tourneur, 1942) and 8 other Val Lewton RKO productions in a box set in 2005.

A major Sam Peckinpah promotion in 2005 including The Ballad Of Cable Hogue (1970), Ride The High Country (1962), and Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid (1973).

Some Buster Keaton before the end of the year, along with some more silents...

Interesting films planned for release by Warner over the next year or so include John Huston's The Mackintosh Man (1973); John Cromwell's Caged (1950); John Sturges' Bad Day At Black Rock (1955); Ken Russell's The Devils (1971); Roman Polanski's Fearless Vampire Killers (1967); Lindsay Anderson's O Lucky Man! (1973) and Billy Wilder's The Spirit Of St. Louis (1957) (film elements being restored at the moment, due mid-2005).

A stunning set of announcements from Warner. Great to see a major studio doing things properly and with gusto."

I'm especially excited about the Lubitsch, noir, Lewton and silent titles! Not to mention a long-overdue revisit of Stagecoach.
Old 03-10-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I'd better find a second job or win a lottery or something... Val Lewton ...Buster Keaton ... John Ford box sets... etc. etc.

Last edited by marty888; 03-10-04 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-10-04, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
With great sadness, I note that King Kong is not listed.
Old 03-10-04, 08:51 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Looking forward to the Peckinpah titles.
Old 03-10-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looking forward to the Ford-Wayne reissues. While The Searchers is in good shape, Stagecoach could really use the "remaster" treatment.

Does this mean Fort Apache is finally coming out?
Old 03-10-04, 09:49 AM
Banned

isn't this just all information from the chat??
Old 03-10-04, 09:53 AM

Really can't wait - as a film student who loves the classics, I'll be buying basically everything pre-1950 that is coming out.
Old 03-10-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This info is obviously ripped from the HTF chat.

What excited me but also ticked me off was the amount of double-dipping I will be doing in the next year or so on Warner titles. SE's of Gone with the Wind, Lost Boys, Heat, etc.......can't wait!
Old 03-10-04, 10:57 AM

"With great sadness, I note that King Kong is not listed."

I think that's because it was previously announced. So far as I know, KONG is still a go -- tentative street date is sometime in August, I believe.
Old 03-10-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
For a complete overview of the titles Warner talked about, just read the transcript at the HTF forum.

Also, I think he has the Hitchcock titles wrong. Rope is a Universal title, Under Capricorn was recently released on DVD by Image, and Strangers on a Train isn't new to DVD. Warner owns Suspicion, Mr & Mrs Smith & Foreign Correspondent, those three would make more sense of being part of the 7.

Last edited by Jaymole; 03-10-04 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-10-04, 12:48 PM

Has anyone heard anything about 'Point Blank' with Lee Marvin?

I'm surprised no one at the chat asked about it. Good news on everything else though...
Old 03-10-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
I was disappointed no one mentioned Point Blank this time. It's probably my most wanted unreleased movie, and it's just begging for a special edition.
Old 03-10-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally posted by markdclark43016
I think that's because it was previously announced. So far as I know, KONG is still a go -- tentative street date is sometime in August, I believe.
Please don't tease me. I had not heard of any announcement, but I hope you're right.
Old 03-10-04, 01:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These 2 are awsome:
1. A Busby Berkeley box set in 2005 containing David Thompson's Going Through The Roof documentary."

2. Cat People (Tourneur, 1942) and 8 other Val Lewton RKO productions in a box set in 2005."

And with all this and the Fox noir collection we're finnally going it have some noir on DVD

"A host of film noir titles will be released this July, all have commentaries, including Out Of The Past (Tourneur, 1947); The Set-Up (Wise, 1949) commentary by Wise and Scorsese; Asphalt Jungle (Huston. 1950); Gun Crazy (Lewis, 1950); and Murder, My Sweet (Dmytryk, 1944)."

Last edited by Pants; 03-10-04 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-10-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The classic WB gangster films will get a remastered boxset later this year too.

Please include The Public Enemy, The Roaring Twenties, and Angels with Dirty Faces. I'm drooling over those releases.
Old 03-10-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts
I looked at the MastersOfCinema.com website, and noticed their column on Warners future releases, but didn't see any mention that they obtained this information from the Home Theater Forum chat on Monday night.

That's pretty bush-league IMO.
Old 03-10-04, 02:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Previously unreleased Hitchcock =
Old 03-10-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, I think he has the Hitchcock titles wrong. Rope is a Universal title, Under Capricorn was recently released on DVD by Image, and Strangers on a Train isn't new to DVD.
You didn't read what he said very closely.

Seven "new to DVD" Hitchcock's are due this year [a few of the seven Warner Hitchcock's already have DVD releases, namely Rope (1948), Under Capricorn (1949) and Strangers On A Train (1951) (the latter is currently being restored)].
You see what he says? By using quotation marks in the way he did, he was saying, in fact, that they were being claimed to be new to DVD, implying that they weren't. Said implication was followed through on within the same sentence by parenthetically explaining that, in fact, some of the movies being said to be "new to DVD" were not new to DVD, but were being marketed as such.

However, that said...

Warner owns Suspicion, Mr & Mrs Smith & Foreign Correspondent, those three would make more sense of being part of the 7.
I checked a Hitchcock news site which agrees with you, but it says there are 8 coming.

"Warner will be releasing DVDs of the following films, each with its own 'making of' documentary directed by Laurent Bouzereau: Foreign Correspondent (1940), Suspicion (1941), Mr and Mrs Smith (1941), Stage Fright (1950), Strangers on a Train (1951), I Confess (1953), Dial M For Murder (1954), and The Wrong Man (1957).
"No other details are yet available (though we've heard that Peter Bogdanovich and Pat Hitchcock will feature in some of the documentaries)."
(around the middle of the page)

However, I don't see any source for it, so grain of salt.

Still, that's quite good news, if true. I believe that just leaves 'Lifeboat' and a few of the waaaaay early ones before everything's on DVD. [And, yes, I know 'Lifeboat' is available via cheesy Asian bootlegging, no need to link a picture with an 'Oh yeah?']
Old 03-10-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You see what he says? By using quotation marks in the way he did, he was saying, in fact, that they were being claimed to be new to DVD, implying that they weren't. Said implication was followed through on within the same sentence by parenthetically explaining that, in fact, some of the movies being said to be "new to DVD" were not new to DVD, but were being marketed as such
I didn't then & still don't care about his quotation marks for 2 reasons:

#1 - He's just taking the info from the HTF chat where there wasn't quotation marks when NEW was mentioned. He added them because he wrongly believes those 3 titles are part of the 7.

#2 - He obviously doesn't have a clue what Hitchcock titles Warner owns, or else he wouldn't have mentioned Rope or Under Capricorn.

I suggest you read the transcript.

Also Warner is re-mastering Strangers on a Train which would account for the eighth title.

Last edited by Jaymole; 03-10-04 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-10-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't then & still don't care about his quotation marks for 2 reasons:
I'll explain why you're wrong, but I'm done with this conversation after this; no reason for me to threadcrap just because you don't understand grammar.

#1 - He's just taking the info from the HTF chat where there wasn't quotation marks when NEW was mentioned. He added them because he wrongly believes those 3 titles are part of the 7.
For the sake of argument, you could be right, he could've been quoting the HTF chat. But since he was paraphrasing what was said in HTF, it would seem fair to assume that the quotes were added by him as well even without any further context. Luckily, though, there *is* context -- the parenthetical explanation that they are not, in fact, 100% new to DVD. Which they're not. Then there's the fact that you're not even acknowledging what I was criticizing you for; you were criticizing him for saying things were new to DVD that weren't when, in fact, he was specifically pointing out that the titles *weren't* new to DVD. I agree with you that he had the titles wrong, and agreed with you in my previous post, but your critique was just as wrong-headed, since it was based on your own lack of understanding of the phrase " 'new to DVD' ".

#2 - He obviously doesn't have a clue what Hitchcock titles Warner owns, or else he wouldn't have mentioned Rope or Under Capricorn.
It's a pretty easy mistake to make, considering that both films were released by Warner Brothers initially (produced by Hitch's company, "Transatlantic" I believe). [Theatrically, I mean, not DVD.] It's not like he was bringing up 'Psycho' or either of the men 'Who Knew Too Much'. I think you were being overly critical, and now that I've called you on it, you're trying to back out by being needlessly critical. [Now who's ironic?]

I suggest you read the transcript.
Too late.

Also Warner is re-mastering Strangers on a Train which would account for the eighth title.
Yeah, the original post said that. Though I wonder, if i can divert this towards relevance just slightly, if it'll still have both versions.
Old 03-10-04, 08:18 PM

As for me, not one single additional Warner title that comes in that crappy, cheap, clumsy, awkward, spill/dirt sensitive snapper! And I have spoken LOL.

PEACH
Gimme plastic.
Old 03-10-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MISS PEACH
As for me, not one single additional Warner title that comes in that crappy, cheap, clumsy, awkward, spill/dirt sensitive snapper! [/SIZE]
I agree that snappers suck, always have always will, but nothing would make me miss a lot of these titles.

For Me:
Strangers On A Train re-release (been waiting for one)
Dial M for Murder
Ninotchka (YES!!)
Probably, To Be or Not to Be
Asphalt Jungle and probably all the noir (This years Postman always rings twice was great), but definately Gun Crazy which is so good.
Gangsters Box
Tourneur Box (I'd be happy with only Cat People, but this is great)
Sam Peckinpah's
Bad Day at Black Rock (Now if only they could get Criterion's commentary for this great movie)

All in all, not one bad item. What a great announcement!
Old 03-11-04, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

""""This has got to be the funniest thread I read in a long time""""!

GuamGuy - is "mastersofcinema" your website?

Last edited by Jaymole; 03-11-04 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-11-04, 09:50 AM

Gun Crazy FINALLY! I saw this a few years ago and thought it was awesome. Can't wait. The Lubitsch titles are also gonna make it to my house pretty quickly. Yippee! Just hope Warner keeps up the great work they've been doing in the past year or so. (Especially for Gun Crazy and Ninotchka. )
Old 03-11-04, 07:44 PM

Oh please, Warner Brothers, don't mess up the release of
THE DEVILS! We want the LONGEST version available w/ director commentary. Now all that's missing is the uncut version of PERFORMANCE...some day...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.