Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Hellraiser film?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Best Hellraiser film
Hellraiser
62.34%
Hellbound: Hellraiser II
25.97%
Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth
5.19%
Hellraiser: Bloodline
0%
Hellraiser: Inferno
0%
Hellraiser: Hellseeker
2.60%
Hellraiser XXIII: Twikoff's Revenge
3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Best Hellraiser film?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-04, 08:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Best Hellraiser film?

As great as the original is, I love Hellbound. I think it effectively expands upon the images and themes of the first film without seeming hokey.

I watched Hellseeker last night and was quite disappointed. It didn't feel like a Hellraiser movie so much as a movie which had the Cenobites in it a few times. The return of Kirsty's character was badly done.

I remember seeing parts of Bloodline on TV and thinking it wasn't too bad, it could be pretty good if we ever get to see a director's cut.

Haven't seen III or V yet.
Old 03-08-04, 09:42 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I'm not what you would call an aficionado of the horror genre, but I've actually seen several of the films in this series, and I think the second is easily the best. Very stylish and creepy.
Old 03-08-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
The last one I saw was Bloodline and it was all over the place. I love Cenobites and they have such potential. But they keep getting featured in half assed movies .

To be hoenst, the TOYS are more interesting than the movies at this point. The exception being the 1st two movies of course.
Old 03-08-04, 10:34 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELLRAISER is the classic, but HELLBOUND is just plain nuts - exactly what a horror film should be.
Old 03-08-04, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always will have the most affection for the first movie. I thought the second one just got too loony and sadistic for its own good, and wasn't as scary.

I haven't bothered with any of the straight-to-video sequels past the fourth one, which was bad enough.
Old 03-09-04, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed the first two greatly, even better that both came in the dvd tin. But definately think the first one was best with hellbound a close second. After that it went downhill fast.
Old 03-09-04, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The first one was the best IMO. The second while entertaining killed off all of the cool cenobites. The new ones created in the subsequent sequels were all corny and nowhere near as good as the Chatterer, The Fat man and that bald chick.
Old 03-09-04, 12:53 AM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Thrush
The first one was the best IMO. The second while entertaining killed off all of the cool cenobites. The new ones created in the subsequent sequels were all corny and nowhere near as good as the Chatterer, The Fat man and that bald chick.
While I agree that the Chatterer and the Girl were awesome, I always thought Butterball seemed especially silly. I mean, he's lumpy. Woo. I know I won't be able to sleep tonight. Some of the sequels had cooler Cenobites than Butterball, but none cooler than the other three originals.
Old 03-09-04, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The original scared the crap out of me as a kid, so it gets my vote.
Old 03-09-04, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also believe the original was the best. The second film is also pretty good, but the rest are horrible.
Old 03-09-04, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hellbound, it notched up the gore and the insane asylum just added to the creepiness immensely. Quick downhill slide after that. Three was fairly enjoyable, but that's the end.
Old 03-09-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I haven't seen either in many, many years, but I seem to remember liking Hellbound a bit more than Hellraiser.
Old 03-09-04, 10:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
As matome noted the gore factor was uped for the second film (thankfully the ultra-gore was retained for the unrated DVD) which I liked, also the back story of Pinhead and the reveals of the other Cenobites in Hellbound was fascinating. Although I really liked the first, I think the second is the best.

never saw Bloodline, Inferno, or Hellseeker
Old 03-09-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
As matome noted the gore factor was uped for the second film (thankfully the ultra-gore was retained for the unrated DVD) which I liked, also the back story of Pinhead and the reveals of the other Cenobites in Hellbound was fascinating. Although I really liked the first, I think the second is the best.

never saw Bloodline, Inferno, or Hellseeker

I dont' remember back stories for the rest of the Cenobites only Pinhead.

I know Pinhead was some British Soldier from WW I ......
Old 03-09-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The first is the best, IMO.
Old 03-09-04, 11:09 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
I dont' remember back stories for the rest of the Cenobites only Pinhead.

I know Pinhead was some British Soldier from WW I ......
sorry I didn't really word that right:

the back story of Pinhead and the reveals of the other Cenobites to their true selves.
Old 03-09-04, 11:11 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The best thing about Hellbound was it's inspiration for Satan's voice on "South Park." "I remember..."
Old 03-09-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am a horror film connosour and I got to tell you, Hellbound gave me nightmares for over six months after seeing it.

I also enjoyed the first one (of course) and Bloodline was pretty cool too. I like how it tied it all together over many generations of time.
Old 03-09-04, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw Bloodline in the theater. How lame is that?

das
Old 03-09-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I voted for Hellbound, but a close second was Bloodline.

Although I own every dvd, Im not thrilled with the direction the series has taken. I lust for more mythology and a harkening back to the creative sadism of the original 2 episodes.

Part 7: Deader is coming soon, so fingers crossed for that one.

EDIT: for fans of Clive Barker, this year we can expect Tortured Souls: Animae Damnatae which is based on the Tortured Souls Toys that he created with McFarlane:

the toys are way cool, and I'm excited by the snippets of back story!
http://www.spawn.com/features/torturedsouls2/
http://www.spawn.com/features/torturedsouls/

Last edited by succubiss; 03-09-04 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-09-04, 05:47 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by succubiss
EDIT: for fans of Clive Barker, this year we can expect Tortured Souls: Animae Damnatae which is based on the Tortured Souls Toys that he created with McFarlane:

the toys are way cool, and I'm excited by the snippets of back story!
http://www.spawn.com/features/torturedsouls2/
http://www.spawn.com/features/torturedsouls/
I also read on his website that he's been hired to write and direct another movie altogether, as well. Looks like it's a good time to be a Clive fan.
Old 03-09-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

really? the last update was on Dec 5 which states "Dec 5th, 2003 - Clive has just been hired to write the next draft and to direct Tortured Souls -the movie."

That guy has got a crazy imagination... if I were him, I'd be afraid to go to sleep at night.
Old 03-10-04, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by succubiss
really? the last update was on Dec 5 which states "Dec 5th, 2003 - Clive has just been hired to write the next draft and to direct Tortured Souls -the movie."

That guy has got a crazy imagination... if I were him, I'd be afraid to go to sleep at night.
Personally I'd prefer to see him helm a sequel to Nightbreed.

While I agree that the Chatterer and the Girl were awesome, I always thought Butterball seemed especially silly. I mean, he's lumpy. Woo. I know I won't be able to sleep tonight. Some of the sequels had cooler Cenobites than Butterball, but none cooler than the other three originals.
Ahh, but you see there in lies the genius of Butterball. While you're worried about Pinhead and the Chatterer you don't even pay attention to where Butterball is. Next thing you know he's stabbing you in the liver with a rusty salad fork. You never even saw it coming. And why do you think he wears the shades? Thats right because he's a pimp. I guarantee you he pulls in twice the chicks that Pinhead does.
Old 03-10-04, 01:28 AM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Thrush
Ahh, but you see there in lies the genius of Butterball. While you're worried about Pinhead and the Chatterer you don't even pay attention to where Butterball is. Next thing you know he's stabbing you in the liver with a rusty salad fork. You never even saw it coming. And why do you think he wears the shades? Thats right because he's a pimp. I guarantee you he pulls in twice the chicks that Pinhead does.

Well, there must be plenty of pimps and whores in hell, so I guess Butterball has his work cut out for him.
Old 03-10-04, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.