DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Projectors any good?

Old 03-07-04, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Projectors any good?

Recently I have been interested in buy a large projector screen+projector to play my DVDS, They seem like a great bang for the buck. Adn would be very space consuming for me and an upgrade from my 27 in Sony,So are these any good picture quality?, how much do they ussualy go for?. Thanks.
Old 03-07-04, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, they are wonderful! I have a BenQ PB6100 and I paid $900.00 (after $100.00 rebate) for it from Tiger Direct. I have a 95" DIY screen and I'll NEVER go back to the "small" screen! I had a 36" Sony tube before.

It is important to make sure that you:

1) have some sort of light control in your room. Blinds, curtains, etc.

2) get a projector with a decent lumen output. Mine is 1500 and has enough output for daytime use

3) have the ability to run power and video cable(s) to the projector

A great resource for you is to visit The AVS Forum Projectors $3500.00 & less thread.

They also have a forum on screens.

Gaming is WOW as is HDTV!

Sonicflood

Last edited by Sonicflood; 03-07-04 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-07-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 407 Likes on 352 Posts
I'm seriously considering one in our new house and have done a lot of research,

Sonicflood is right. From what I have read projectors in the lower price range are greatly effected by light. You really want total control.

You want to check out bulb cost and bulb life in the overall cost of a projector. Some bulbs are a couple of hundred dollars. So in some cases a $1,200 projector with a 3000 hour bulb life is a lot better deal then an $800 projector with an 800-1000 hour bulb life.

One of the things that I want a projector for, is the ability to hang if from the ceiling. Then a fixed or drop down screen means no equipment in the middle of the room. Yes, will need some long wires for equipment, but I like the idea of having it all off the floor (considering wall mounted or in wall speakers as well). This would take up a lot less room then say a 65" CRT TV at one end of the room.

The link that Sonicflood, gave is excellent. Be warned, at first it is very overwhelming. But spend some time there and you can find out everything. Also check out http://www.projectorcentral.com lots of good information as well.