Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

whats the appeal of Eyes Wide Shut?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now, Kubrick is an amazing director (2001, shining are his best and some of the best of all time). but how slow and boring can a movie get now. so, slow in fact, that the orgy scene was some of the most painfull crap to watch. imo, the story seemed to go no where, and it seemed like Kubrick wanted to have shots that went on forever. oh, and Tom Cruise really didn't act. It kind of sounded like he was reading lines. sorry, if this little rant isn't detailed enough, but for all of you that love this movie, can you explain yourselfs?
Old 03-06-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's supposedly "layers" to it. I dunno. I saw it once and pretty much forgot about it.
Old 03-06-04, 11:19 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I love it. I think it's one of Kubrick's best. I think Cruise and Kidman both give incredible examples of internal acting (i.e., emotions conveyed through eyes and body movement versus dialogue). The dreamlike quality of the whole thing was mesmerizing. I never even noticed how long or slow the shots were, because I was totally captivated. But, what do I know, everyone I know hates L'Avventura but I can't get enough of it.
Old 03-06-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kidman nakked. :giggle:
Old 03-06-04, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: whats the appeal of Eyes Wide Shut?

Originally posted by Rypro 525
but how slow and boring can a movie get now.
Have you ever seen Barry Lyndon?

I liked Eyes Wide Shut. I just thought it was a well made movie that was rather mesmerizing.

Last edited by Rizor; 03-06-04 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-06-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts
To me the appeal is the excellent photography. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 03-07-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

it is a movie about relationships and the institution of marriage and one I would say that was done a 100 times better than the Academy Award winning original screenplay of Lost In Translation which to me was about as 'slow and boring' as a movie can get

it is about the temptations that couples are confronted with in maintaining their relationships and how they must accept responsibilites for their actions.

it is about some truely frightening consequences that can result because of paths we choose or may have chose

it is a deep/rich/layered movie, beautifully photographed, wonderfully scored, with subtle hints and foreshadowing along the way, that gets better with each viewing

it is a work of art by the greatest director in the history of cinema

it is not a movie about orgys

Last edited by musick; 03-07-04 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-07-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Like RocShemp said, excellent photography. It's been a while since I saw that movie but what was the deal with Tom Cruise showing his Doctor's ID like it was a cop badge?
Old 03-07-04, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The appeal to me is to put yourself back in the kids shoes at the end of the movie.
Spoiler:
That was where the film took shape and made sense to me, rethinking my youth, and when you'd say your parents DEEPLY in conversation and never giving it a second thought. But this film established the perspective that a whirlwind of living could have been behind those conversations we so blissfully skipped through a toystore never understanding.
Thats' what I took and it freaked me but good.
Old 03-07-04, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Josh he used his doctor id to get info on Nick and get into Rainbow costumes after hours because many hold doctors in just as high or higher regard than police, it's not like he was the cable guy

Nature Boy while the little girl is just a small part of the story that is a great interpretation

and while I mentioned the beautiful photography I should have also singled out the vivid use of colors to represent the (Freudian) dreamlike states of this movie
Old 03-07-04, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a parable about a man struggling to come to terms with his homosexuality. Considering it stars tom cruise in that role, what's not to love?
Old 03-07-04, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The appeal for m was to see Nicole Kidman nekkid after she teased it in To Die For. But 5 minutes into it I could see I wasn't going to enjoy the movie as I thought I would.

Eventually I didn't care for Cruise' acting, or Nicole's body ( ) or the storyline and not even Leelee Sobieski's appearance. The movie looked good on paper but should have been better. I thought it was a sad way to end Krubick's career.
Old 03-07-04, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Eventually I didn't care for....or Nicole's body

LIES! LIES! YOU SPEAK LIES!

Kidman

Leelee
Old 03-07-04, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This movie was supposed to be slow and painful and make you uncomfortable. That was the point; to subconsciously force you to feel what the characters are feeling. It sounds like you were too busy trying to appreciate the movie and "get it" without first just sitting down and going along for the ride.
Old 03-07-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,461 Likes on 930 Posts
I like the sensation of nightmare I get from the movie. Nothing ever quite makes sense, but it almost does, and you imagine that if you work at it, everything will come together.

I like how the doctor goes to an orgy, and it's completely unerotic. This the opposite of when, in Clockwork Orange, Alex rapes a woman, and it's totally hot. We're seeing it from the character's POV.

I think it's funny how a doctor's ID can get you anything in the world. More dream logic.

After I saw this movie, I bought a bunch of CDs from the composer Ligeti. He also wrote the chorale used for the black monolith in 2001.
Old 03-07-04, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,461 Likes on 930 Posts
My wife says that the guy is so egotistical that when he gets out of his depth, it's a completely unfamilliar experience to him, and he can't cope with it. So at the end, he ignores the whole thing and goes back to his wife.

Spoiler:
Yep, Nick is at home banging Mrs. Nick. The girl died of an OD. There is no conspiracy.
Old 03-07-04, 10:05 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I rented this movie when it first caem out on video with a friend. we were both young and immature and only cared about seeing some T&A. we got it, but was bored to death.

I watched it again just last year and I loved it. Amazing, haunting film. My eyes were glued to the screen.

the film is so horrific, so disturing, and its just kurbrick's direction. nthing really scary happens in the movie. i thought it was a masterpiece.

on of his best
Old 03-07-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Mandy had a nice set on her.
Old 03-07-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watch it again in about 10 years, Rypro. That's all I can tell you.
Old 03-07-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought 2001 couldn't be any more boring or slower.

But I find Eyes Wide Shut riveting, really. It's all about connection and relation to the movie, and how the film captures your intrigue. I couldn't get into 2001, but I was immediately immersed into Eyes Wide Shut. When the camera was simply following Tom Cruise I really felt the tension build, as opposed to 2001 where I couldn't get excited about a damn thing.
Old 03-07-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Nick Danger

This the opposite of when, in Clockwork Orange, Alex rapes a woman, and it's totally hot. We're seeing it from the character's POV.

it is? I'm sorry, but that for me was a bit much.
Old 03-07-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed the movie because of the dark mood it set. It felt voyeuristic, as if you were floating around Tom Cruise. I also liked how he continued to pull at the loose thread, clearly knowing things would unravel, but willing to go on because he has "to know." Not knowing what's on the other side of that door is too excruciating to ignore. It's like he chose the red pill over the blue, but instead of getting "answers" he gets his block knocked off by the hierarchy of the secret society.
Old 03-07-04, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Damon Wayans/David Alan Grier: "hated it!"
Old 03-08-04, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It definitely is Nicole Kidmans's butt.

no, joke aside I think it's a very good movie, not his best, but good.

I believe that Kubrick thought EWS was his best...though I think 2001 is.
Old 03-08-04, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I have yet to see it, but my little brother is still pissed that Kubrick died because, in his words, "that shithead stole over three hours of my life and I want them back!"

On the other hand, my brother-in-law hated it when he first saw and now he can't turn the channel when it is on. He enjoys it more w/ each viewing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.