Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jaws

Old 03-06-04, 02:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jaws

Popped this one into the dvd player last night.

Wow, this film is perfect. It is a shame Robert Shaw wasn't nominated for best supporting actor. He was fabulous.
Old 03-06-04, 03:31 PM
Banned

For that you get the head...

...the tail...

...the whole damn thing.
Old 03-06-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Watching it right now as I surf...
Old 03-06-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
"here's to swimmin' with bow legged women"
Old 03-06-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian t'Leyte, we'd just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer. You know how you know that in the water, Chief? You can tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin', so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the squares in the old calendars like the Battle o' Waterloo and the idea was the shark come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and sometimes that shark he go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn't even seem to be livin'... 'til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin' and your hollerin' those sharks come in and... they rip you to pieces. You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin', Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boson's mate. I thought he was asleep, Reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon the fifth day a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol' fat PBY come down and start to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened? Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. Three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the twenty-ninth, nineteen-forty five. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.

Old 03-06-04, 05:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one of the best movies ever created!
Old 03-06-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Always thought his performance was iconic and a joy to watch. I'll have to watch this again now.
Old 03-06-04, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
I see you brought your rubbers.
Old 03-07-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You hit the nail right on the head Parcher.

That was the scariest part of the movie for me, better than the shots with the actual shark in the picture.

A great performance by Robert Shaw.
Old 03-07-04, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
one of the best movies ever created!
Damn right!
Old 03-07-04, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Jaws is my favorite Spielberg film of all time It was the very first Spielberg film I saw in the theatre, so I've been always partial to this. Nothing has quite matched that experience since then for me. Not Close Encounters, not Raiders, not E.T., and well, Schindler's List is a different cup of tea...

I always remember being most terrified when I couldn't see the shark in those various POV shots. When the shark appeared, it was like a relief because at least I knew what to expect.

They should have included the original Oscar winning mono sound mix on the DVD. The whale song heard while the guys are waiting at night aboard the Orca used to scare the bejesus out of me.
Old 03-07-04, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did you see the E! true hollywood story on Jaws? It's very interesting.
Old 03-07-04, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can definitely say that Quint is one my favorite movie characters of all time...

Jaws is a great movie. It's dated, of course, but thereøs just something about it that works.
Old 03-07-04, 09:07 AM
Banned

What is the deal on the mono track? Can somebody explain?

I have'nt watched it in a few years, but man, this is how a blockbuster should be. No mindless popcorn movie, but an honest damn good ride with a great script, charcters, and action.

Besides Shaw's performance, I thought Roy did a good job too. You can totally feel his "I'm here in Amityville to get away from New York" charcter, someone who just wants to get the job done, but is scared as hell.

Man, Steven made a jewel here. All the special effects in the world can't beat the ride of when the Orca takes out of harbor and you know doom is waiting on the other side.
Old 03-07-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Jabootu has what I think is the best in-depth review of this great film: http://www.jabootu.com/jaws.htm

(P.S. Jabootu usually only has humorous negative reviews of bad movies but, in this case, a great positive review was written for the original Jaws that was then followed by a series of humorous negative reviews for all of the lousy sequels: Jaws 2, Jaws 3D, and Jaws 4.)
Old 03-07-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Parcher
Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian t'Leyte, we'd just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer. You know how you know that in the water, Chief? You can tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin', so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the squares in the old calendars like the Battle o' Waterloo and the idea was the shark come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and sometimes that shark he go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn't even seem to be livin'... 'til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin' and your hollerin' those sharks come in and... they rip you to pieces. You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin', Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boson's mate. I thought he was asleep, Reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon the fifth day a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol' fat PBY come down and start to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened? Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. Three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the twenty-ninth, nineteen-forty five. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.
John Milius wrote that.
Old 03-07-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Hiro11
John Milius wrote that.
In fact Milius wrote other parts of the dialogue, for example "I'll find him for 3, but I'll catch him and kill him for 10".

Carl Gottlieb has stated himself that Shaw DID write that long monologue, but Milius is often credited for it...
Old 03-07-04, 02:58 PM
Banned

Shaw wrote that bit I believe...watch the Doc on the disc...
Old 03-07-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Parcher
Jaws is a great movie. It's dated, of course, but thereøs just something about it that works.
Jaws is one of my top 5 favorite movies.
Old 03-07-04, 06:06 PM
Banned

Shaw did The Deep after Jaws, and then died in 78.

Like I said, he should have been at least nominated for a best supporting oscar for this role.
Old 03-07-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great movie.

I also love the bar scene in Chasing Amy that resembled that scene in Jaws where they were exchanging scar stories. Never caught that until I saw a special on HBO or Cinemax on Chasing Amy. They talked about how they even went so far as to make the bar in CA resemble the boat look from Jaws.
Old 03-07-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

JAWS is easily one of the best movies of all time. I can watch it any day of the week and be riveted for the entire running time....without fail. A true classic.

MATT
Old 03-08-04, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
It has held up extremely well over the years.

Too bad the sequels were sukkeeee.
Old 03-08-04, 08:41 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Agreed - Jaws is a fantastic film and one of the best genre-changing films to ever be made. That said, it still isn't my favorite Spielberg piece.
Old 03-08-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally posted by TylerDurden_73
Jaws is one of my top 5 favorite movies.
When asked "What's your favorite movie?", the answer I give is JAWS.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.