Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pet peeves while watching a movie with loved ones/friends

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember way back ( in 1990) my friend set me up for a blind date (I know...Bad idea). My blind date met me after work and to my surprise she was cute, well spoken and smelled good heh. So we go to this Irish Pub for a meal and a couple of drinks. So far so good. I noticed that she was matching me beer for beer or drink for drink. I told her this wasn't a contest and she said everything was cool.

After a good meal, 3 pints and a drink we decide to go see a movie. There was "After Dark, my Sweet" (with Jason Patric) so we go in. About 20 minutes in the movie she tells me that I'm in the movie (I kinda looked like Jason Patric then). I tell her no, relax, so then she stands up (oh crap she drank too much!!) and screams "MY DATE IS IN THAT MOVIE!!" and promptly vomits all over the people in front of us

I heard another guy retching, took my beautiful date by the arm and I spent the next 10 minutes holding her hair while she was puking in the bathroom. We got out of the theatre, I hailed a cab, gave her 20 bucks and told the driver to take her home.

My "friend" who set me up later told me that a month later she puked in a cab and tried to french-kiss her date immediately after.

That was the end of blind dates for me
----------------------

Went to see "Imagine" with my best friend and a friend of his. When we see John Lennon my friend's friend turns to me and says: " You know, that guy was in the Beatles with Paul McCartney" . Didn't know if I was gonna hit him or laugh for 20 minutes heh.

----------------
I'm French-Canadian but my mom (who was an English teacher) had enough sense to sit me in front of Sesame Street when I was 3 years old and over time I became bilingual (Long story short heh). When I meet a girl my first question usually is" Do you understand movies in English??". It may sound shallow but I don't care if I got an Angelina Jolie lookalike, if she can't get it she's outta there!!

I don't wanna spend the whole movie explaining what is happening (girl: "what dos A Luvv Yu mean?" Me: "It means I LOVE YOU BIATCH!!!

If you're stuck with one language then I understand, you settle for the cheap translation but it takes the flavor outta the movie.

Now let's hear YOUR horror stories!!
Old 03-05-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Sorry, my browser doesn't support your Canadien accent. Can you speak up?

Just the usual, people asking what's going, when, if they'd watch for five more seconds, they'd see what was going on.
Old 03-05-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Talking and laughing at inappropriate scenes.

at your first story. She sounds like it would have been more memorable if you would have gotten in the cab with her.
Old 03-06-04, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I refuse to take part in your thread after admitting that you sent a cute, drunk, chick who was convinced you were a movie star, home alone.
Old 03-06-04, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reason #1 why you shouldn't go to a movie on a blind/first date..

it's about getting to know your date.. not to sit uncomfortable with someone you don't know much about.
Old 03-06-04, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I had a roommate who corrected improper word usage or phrases or grammar in movies by yelling at the screen.

in the movie:
"but... he's your brother."
"I could care less if he's my mother!"

roommate yells:
"COULDN'T care less!"

I mean, why bother? I know it's incorrect and he knows it's incorrect. Does he think I'll think to myself "boy, he's smart."? The movie people can't hear him.

Another thing he'd do is just say random shit... for example, we're watching some scary movie or something and this artist kid in the movie is having a conversation with another character - all intense and dramatic or something and my roommate is looking at the background and feels the need to say "acrylic paints". like a statement. Like as if I asked him what kind of paints the kid was using (like it even matters or like I care or like I didn't already know). he was annoying to the nth degree.
Old 03-06-04, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hear ya Jackskeleton . Ever since that adventure with "Miss PowerDrinker" all my first dates were spent just talking with the person and getting to know her.

Kinda silly to spend 2 hours in the dark not talking, watching a movie with someone you hardly know.
Old 03-06-04, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by Numanoid
I refuse to take part in your thread after admitting that you sent a cute, drunk, chick who was convinced you were a movie star, home alone.
She didn't go home alone, she had the cab driver
Old 03-06-04, 09:58 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
One thing I really hate is when I'm watching a movie I've seen before with a person who hasn't seen it, and they keep asking me "what happens next?", or "how does it end?"

My wife does that all the time. Usually I lie to her.
Old 03-06-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Oooh!! That's that guy from Young and the Restless! God, what was his name... he was sooo good on that show too, a real bastard... what. was. his. name...?"

(doesn't bother me thaaat much... but still)
Old 03-06-04, 10:40 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Trigger
I mean, why bother? I know it's incorrect and he knows it's incorrect. Does he think I'll think to myself "boy, he's smart."? The movie people can't hear him.
What? They cant hear me?!? Oh - yes, they will hear me. I'll make them hear me.

. . . I'll make them hear me.

. . . I'll make them hear me.

. . . .
Old 03-06-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just basically when the slap your arm and say "Oh my God dude this part is so funny. Watch this."
Old 03-06-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Oh god - I hate that... I stopped watching movies with this one friend of mine because she would do that... "watch this part, it's so funny". And I turn to look at her cuz she's talking to me and I miss the funny part which wouldn't have been funny anyway cuz she warned me it was coming. Anyway, I killed her.
Old 03-06-04, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Comments like

"this movie is very violent"
"why did he do that"
"what did I miss" after returning from the restroom

Overall, just talking during a movie. I hate that.
Old 03-07-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts
It's because of things like this (well, nothing like the drunk chick ever happened to me) that I prefer to go to the movies alone. Practically everyone I know thinks I'm a freak because they think it's absurd to go to a movie alone.
Old 03-07-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Makes sense to me RocShemp. I too go to the movies alone most of the time. I go to see a movie... If I want a social event I go to a bar or to an AA meeting telling everyone how I fell off the wagon and how vodka saved my life
Old 03-14-04, 08:31 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

my gf falls asleep during nearly every home movie viewing.

and my mother asks so many questions in the theater.
Old 03-14-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I hate HATE when:

something funny happens and another person starts laughing but then begins to stare at me, laughing the whole time. I mean, what, do you need me to say "Hey that IS funny!" and laugh with you?

oh and just your basic talking during the movie. SH'UP people!
Old 03-14-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
complaining about the language, violence, etc.
Old 03-14-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 956 Likes on 663 Posts
Originally posted by TCG
my gf falls asleep during nearly every home movie viewing.

bingbingbingbingbing! We have a winner!

My GF does this all the time and it annoys me to no end. She keeps falling asleep while we are trying to see a movie, or I'm trying to show her an excellent movie.

If you're going to fall asleep I could have just watched it without you.

Another is showing up late to a movie. This weekend I caught Hidalgo and was at least 15 minutes late and had to sit in the second row. It was not a pleasant experience. I like to get there with plenty of time so the line to the box office doesn't bother me and I can catch the previews and sit 1/3 to 2/3 of the way in and in the middle of the row.
Old 03-14-04, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Yes, I have a cousin that I refuse to watch movies with now. She talks during the movie and makes stupid comments.