Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Shield videogame

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-04, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Shield videogame

I love the show, but never in a million years would think that someone would turn it into a game. I wonder if it will have any cheating on your wife side quests or boss fights involving burning your opponents face on a stove.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/496/496324p1.html

March 03, 2004 - In what can only be described as the most surprising announcement of Sammy Studios' first annual press event, it was revealed that the company has plans to release a brand new title for the Xbox and PlayStation 2 platforms based on the hit FX show, The Shield. A multi-time Golden Globe and Emmy award winning television series, The Shield is not only one of the grittiest programs in all of entertainment, it's also one of the most honored. And while its selection to be the subject of a new line of videogames may be a little bit unconventional, the powers that be at Sammy seem to think it's a natural translation as it moves from one little screen to another.

"The Shield is that rare television show that doesn't just break boundaries, it creates new ones," said Tim Pivnicny, senior VP of sales and marketing, Sammy Studios, Inc. "We intend to do the same with the game, bringing new gameplay mechanics to create the first truly gritty police action game, and enlisting the show's creators for production value on par with that of the award-winning series."

Scheduled for a simultaneous release in the spring of 2005, The Shield tells the tale of angry police detective Vic Mackey and his struggles with operating on the right side of the law. Though Mackey is the leader of a special unit strike team assembled to destroy various crime syndicates, he's also plagued with the nasty habit of pocketing seized money, confiscating illegal equipment, and brutalizing criminals in custody. The game will follow a similar play model.

Allowing players to choose which side of the law they'll abide by, The Shield utilizes two distinct gauges that dictate how teammates and criminals react to you. Known as the Retirement Fund Meter and the Heat Meter, these two ever-changing variables can alter the challenge and direction of the game completely. In one example, players may decide to make a drug bust in the traditional way only to steal some of its resulting money for later (raising their retirement meter) or instead decide to kill every dealer in the room (increasing their heat meter). Whichever decision is made, the word on the street and through the rest of the force will spread; gradually changing how future situations turn out in terms of teammate support, enemy aggression, and mission structure.

In an effort to remain as faithful to the television series as possible, Sammy will be enlisting the efforts of the same writers who pen the TV show; and will constantly reference past events and characters from previous episodes. The storyline itself will be entirely original, though, spanning almost an entire episode in terms of the length of its story arc. Unfortunately it's still not known whether or not Shield star Michael Chiklis will lend his vocal talents to the game; but from what we've learned by speaking with Sammy representatives that notion definitely isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Though any sort of footage or picture taking of The Shield was prohibited at the event, the two-minute trailer gave onlookers a good idea of what developers Point of View are aiming for. Similar in style to titles like Dead to Rights and Max Payne, the game is at its heart a third-person actioner with plenty of activity. Once in the heat of battle Mackey will not only be able to shoot it out with criminals, he'll also have the ability to grapple with and arrest them. Intimidating perps will play an important role in learning new mission information too, as players will not only have the ability to smash their heads into walls and other objects, they'll be able to get medieval with buzz saws and other cutting utensils too.

On the visual front, The Shield is already impressive with its combination of kick ass lighting effects (some of the best we've seen in a third-person actioner actually), realistic animation, and somewhat destructible environments. It's gritty presentation and atmosphere is extremely reminiscent of the television show too, making it an instant hit with franchise fans in the crowd that witnessed it.

On the whole, though, we can't help but be intrigued by what we've seen so far. And despite the fact that finding ways to please your Police Chief while avoiding Internal Affairs isn't exactly the most conventional gameplay idea we've seen, it's certainly one of the most interesting. Sadly there isn't yet any media to provide for our readers while the final details of the game continue to be worked out. But if everything goes according to plan and Sammy can stick to the schematic it's provided so far, The Shield could turn out to be one of the surprise licensed titles for all of 2005. Stay tuned
Old 03-04-04, 12:22 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I've been playing through the Alpha. So far the "Spy on Lemonhead in the Shower" mission (part of Julian's storyline) has been the most difficult.
Old 03-04-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds pretty bad, but I have some faith in Sammy.
Old 03-04-04, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aren't they the ones behind Seven Samurai 20xx? If so, I think that explains the reasoning...
Old 03-04-04, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 03-04-04, 08:41 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

Originally posted by Groucho
I've been playing through the Alpha. So far the "Spy on Lemonhead in the Shower" mission (part of Julian's storyline) has been the most difficult.
Old 03-04-04, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Neat concept and ideas but unless the actors jump in and contribute it'll be complete crap.
Old 03-05-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Does anyone else find the controls very awkward during Vic's "Shoot Another Cop in the Face" level? I admit, I've never been a big fan of FPS games.
Old 03-06-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MasterofDVD
Neat concept and ideas but unless the actors jump in and contribute it'll be complete crap.
Just like Goldeneye was crap but Enter the Matrix rocked.
Old 03-07-04, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
Just like Goldeneye was crap but Enter the Matrix rocked.
Way to skew my comments. I was talking about this project and this project alone....I never said this was for all games made from other properties. Plus I think people cream themselves over Goldeneye way too much but that is a whole other thread as is the discussion of the steaming pile that is Enter The Matrix.

I thought True Crime was kinda shallow and pointless but if you added ideas, concepts and characters from the show I think I would find it way more interesting. Sorry if my interest in this horrible idea upset you RyoHazuki. Maybe we could just talk about the games and concepts YOU like.
Old 03-07-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who cares about the voice acting? Thats gotta be the least important piece of any game.