DVD Talk
Finally! New Beastie Boys LP due in June [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Finally! New Beastie Boys LP due in June

Spike Jonze
03-03-04, 05:27 PM
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/04-03/03.shtml (Beastie Boys LP)

The Beastie Boys, who have been promising an upcoming album for over a year now, are finally finishing up their next release. According to an e-mail from the band to their official mailing list, the band is finishing up their mixes in the studio. The album, which is slated for a Capitol Records release sometime in June, has no definite title or tracklist at this point.

The Beastie Boys have been laying low since the turn of the century: 1998 saw the release of Hello Nasty, which kicked some major ass, but the Beasties have failed to release a new album since then. The Boys also released a greatest-hits compilation, The Sounds Of Science, in 1999.

As reported last year, Mix Master Mike joined the group for the recording process (side note to Ryan Goldman: a September 2, 2003 release date? Good call on that one, bud). The Beastie Boys were also involved in a 2002 lawsuit over their use of a sample in "Pass the Mic." They had to fight! For their right! To ... SAMPLE!

Their legal troubles have recently come into attention again with the hubbub surrounding The Grey Album. Which, I've gotta say, just isn't very good.

It's about time. :)

JNielsen
03-03-04, 06:11 PM
:up:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=348208

Binger
03-03-04, 06:16 PM
Looking forward to this.

Snowmaker
03-09-04, 06:45 PM
Holy Crap!!

I am listening to my latest Musicpoll.com CD I got in the mail (they pay you $5 each time to review music before it hits radio and TV) and what should come on but a new Beastie Boys song!!! Unfortunately they don't include complete songs on these. :(

I had to listen to it twice!

EDIT: There's a second one on here!! They usually do that on these, put two songs by the same artist.

FrozenMetalHead
03-09-04, 10:05 PM
So what do they sound like? Any thoughts?

POWERBOMB
03-09-04, 10:40 PM
Will they force downloaders to buy the entire cd instead of by song as they have been quoted as saying in the past?

Snowmaker
03-10-04, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by FrozenMetalHead
So what do they sound like? Any thoughts? They both sounded like they'd be off of Paul's Boutique.

FrozenMetalHead
03-10-04, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Snowmaker
They both sounded like they'd be off of Paul's Boutique.

Nice! They started to return to that style with Hello Nasty. More samples, and the multiple-Beasties-rapping-one-line style (vs the Adrock verse, Mike D verse, MCA verse, chorus, repeat style of Check Your Head and Ill Communication).

Are you able to pass on to us any of the lyrics? Lyric quality is obviously a big concern after coming out with the In A World Gone Mad track.

Jepthah
03-11-04, 12:45 AM
They both sounded like they'd be off of Paul's Boutique.

Getting a bit warmer...just a bit warmer...

Snowmaker
03-11-04, 06:53 AM
Um, I really didn't pay attention to the lyrics. The survey gives you the song titles after you complete the survey, but I don't remember what they were. I didn't think I was going to be this grilled with questions. Sorry.

If you like the Paul's Boutique sound, you'll like the new stuff.

Spike Jonze
03-12-04, 11:29 PM
If you like the Paul's Boutique sound, you'll like the new stuff.

:drool: Paul's Boutique is my favorite Beastie's album.

Another40oz
03-13-04, 09:05 AM
because of the current copyright laws, Paul's Boutique or an album like it could never be made today. That was the perfect time for the Dust Brothers to unleash their sampling and production genius

FrozenMetalHead
03-13-04, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Another40oz
because of the current copyright laws, Paul's Boutique or an album like it could never be made today. That was the perfect time for the Dust Brothers to unleash their sampling and production genius

Does anyone know if the current sampling laws would prevent Paul's Boutique being released as a remastered, deluxe edition? The Paul's Boutique remixes that were created for the DVD did not use many of the samples originally in Hey Ladies and Shake Your Rump. Would a remastering of a song be considered a "new, individual song" like the remixes apparently were? Have there been any sample-heavy albums that have been re-released since the current laws came into effect?

Dubya
04-07-04, 03:34 PM
from billboard.com
Beastie Boys Return With '5 Boroughs'

The Beastie Boys blend politics with party time on "To the 5 Boroughs," the New York-based rap trio's first album since 1998's "Hello Nasty." The 15-track set is due this summer via Capitol, to be preceded by album-opening first single "Ch-Check It Out." The group is expected to tour in support of the release and has already confirmed Aug. 7-8 appearances at Japan's Summer Sonic Festival.

"To the 5 Boroughs" is loaded with political commentary as expected, including calls to vote President Bush out of office and critiques of U.S. foreign policy. On "Time To Build," Adam Yauch (MCA) raps, "We've got a president we didn't elect / the Kyoto treaty he decided to neglect / and still the U.S. just wants to flex." On "That It's That All," the group demands, "'cause George W's got nothing on me / we've got to take the power from he."

The set frequently pays homage to the trio's New York surroundings, best heard on "An Open Letter to NYC." In front of a chopped-up sample of the Dead Boys' "Sonic Reducer," the group finds solace in the city's post-September 11th resiliency: "Since 911 we're still livin' / and lovin' life we've been given / ain't nothing gonna take that away from us / we're lookin' pretty and gritty 'cause in the city we trust."

But the Beasties wisely don't skimp on their trademark goofball humor, with references to such pop-culture figures as Fred Sanford, the Keebler Elves, Ron Popeil, Herman Munster, Jabba the Hut, Foghorn Leghorn and "Three's Company" landlord Mr. Furley. Each member shines on "Rhyme the Rhyme Well," a trade-off track in the vein of "Pass the Mic." "Hey, could you please pass me the peas / and let me get a tissue if you think you're gonna sneeze," raps Adam Horovitz (Ad-Rock).

"To the 5 Boroughs" features largely programmed backing tracks, with only a handful of live instrumentation. Mix Master Mike's scratching highlights "Shazam!" and "Right Right Now Now," while the boomimg bottom ends of "The Brouhaha," "Rhyme the Rhyme Well" and "All Life Styles" evoke shades of the group's classics like "Shake Your Rump" and "Root Down."

"'License to Ill' was where we were at the time -- drinking beer and acting silly," says Mike D. "'Paul's Boutique' was moving to L.A.; that was a whole different fantasy. 'Check Your Head' was getting back to three of us. This album is really New York City; all of us living here." Adds MCA, "Having fun in troubled times."

In other news, Yauch is producing a new studio album by pioneering hardcore act Bad Brains, according to the Beasties' official Web site. "Now I need to get [guitarist Dr. Know] to play some guitar solos on some stuff and then finish mixing it. It's kind of circling above the airport right now."

Here is the track list for "To the 5 Boroughs":

"Ch-Check It Out"
"Right Right Now Now"
"The Hard Way"
"Time To Build"
"Rhyme the Rhyme Well"
"Triple Trouble"
"Hey F*** You"
"Oh Word?"
"That It's That All"
"All Life Styles"
"Shazam!"
"An Open Letter to NYC"
"Crawl Space"
"The Brouhaha"
"We Got The"

spinning plates
04-07-04, 06:46 PM
wasnt that 9/11 track 'mad mad world', or whatever it was called, supposed to be on the new album? oh well, it wasnt that great anyways.

DVD Josh
04-07-04, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Another40oz

If this were true, they wouldn't sell Paul's Boutique any longer.

ClarkKentKY
04-07-04, 08:28 PM
Originally written by some buddhist hippies
"We've got a president we didn't elect / the Kyoto treaty he decided to neglect / and still the U.S. just wants to flex." On "That It's That All," the group demands, "'cause George W's got nothing on me / we've got to take the power from he."

-rolleyes- Shit. I knew it would suck. -rolleyes-

:(

Gdrlv
04-07-04, 10:23 PM
How is it I can agree with their politics and still be annoyed as shit when they push those politics down my throat? Damn, was hoping for a return to form...

Gdrlv
04-07-04, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by DVD Josh
If this were true, they wouldn't sell Paul's Boutique any longer.

It's not because of copyright laws, it's the price that they'd be charged for all the samples. They didn't clear any of the samples on Paul's. Due to copyright laws now requiring sample clearances, it would now cost millions just to clear the samples on the album.

FrozenMetalHead
04-21-04, 09:57 AM
There's a brief snippet of "Ch-Check It Out" posted at www.beastieboys.com (http://www.beastieboys.com)

BRIAN 1972
04-26-04, 08:28 AM
From Rolling Stone:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=19646

After a six-year layoff, the Beastie Boys are back with To the 5 Boroughs. Adam "MCA" Yauch, Adam "AdRock" Horovitz and Mike "Mike D" Diamond produced the new album themselves during the past two years, working out of their own downtown Manhattan studio. Sitting in the studio a few weeks before the album comes out this summer, the boys have a lot on their minds. "How come we've never had our own lunchbox?" Yauch asks. "We should hook that shit up!"

With the World Trade Center on the cover, To the 5 Boroughs is a salute to New York, full of old-school hip-hop beats and political anger. But despite the serious themes, the album sounds as if it was fun to make. "Not for me," says AdRock. "It was agony. A lot of spanking machines, a lot of pantsing, that kind of thing."

The boys are older and wiser -- AdRock even has streaks of silver in his hair, although today he's also wearing a ridiculous powder-blue Sean John tracksuit. What was it like working without an outside producer? "One less person to fight with," he says.

The first single, "Ch-Check It Out," has a video directed by Yauch's alter ego, Nathanial Hornblower. In "An Open Letter to NYC," AdRock rhymes, "We're doin' fine on the 1 and 9 line/On the L we're doin' swell." Other tracks shout out to Mike Piazza (who rhymes with "hide the matzo") and Murray's Cheese Shop.

The Beasties attack Bush and the Iraq War on tracks including "That's It That's All." But there are also playful goofs such as "Oh Word?" "The Brouhaha" and "Shazam!" "The band has clearly agreed that 'Shazam!' is top dog on Goofy Island," Mike D says. "When we were doing the final sequencing for the record, it was a Survivor meets American Idol kind of process."

"We realized that certain songs were on different islands," Yauch adds. "There was Goofy Island, then there was B-Boy Island, and then there was Serious Island," Mike D continues. "Some songs have one foot on more than one island. Like 'Time to Build' is on Serious Island, but it can also hang out on B-Boy Island, in a way." "There's bridges, is what you're saying," AdRock says.

"It's a system of tunnels and locks," Mike D muses. "Like the Panama Canal." One more bit of New York inspiration: The band insists that its studio is the same site where the 1970s cop sitcom Barney Miller was shot. Says Mike D, "I'll bet you right now that Fish had his own lunchbox."

ROB SHEFFIELD
(April 23, 2004)

saoirse
04-26-04, 03:10 PM
They can take their politics and shove em up their arses. I've bought my last beastie album (not that they've made a good one in quite a few years).

Rivero
04-26-04, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by saoirse
They can take their politics and shove em up their arses. I've bought my last beastie album (not that they've made a good one in quite a few years).

Actually this album they did called Hello Nasty was pretty decent. You should check it out sometime.

saoirse
04-26-04, 04:30 PM
It was ok, but it was 6 years ago. Personally I think their work in the early 90's was their best.

Ergyu
04-26-04, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by saoirse
It was ok, but it was 6 years ago. Personally I think their work in the late 80's was their best.

Fixed. :)

I never did buy Hello Nasty, though I've been thinking about it lately and seeing a lot of used copies. I think I'll pick it up. I really do enjoy everything else they have put out so far, I'm sure I'll check out this new LP as well.

Well, that song they released on their website last year was really terrible though...

ClarkKentKY
04-26-04, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by BRIAN 1972
"We realized that certain songs were on different islands," Yauch adds. "There was Goofy Island, then there was B-Boy Island, and then there was Serious Island," Mike D continues. "Some songs have one foot on more than one island. Like 'Time to Build' is on Serious Island, but it can also hang out on B-Boy Island, in a way." "There's bridges, is what you're saying," AdRock says.

I hate Serious Island, and all who visit it.

Jepthah
04-26-04, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Ergyu
Fixed. :)

I never did buy Hello Nasty, though I've been thinking about it lately and seeing a lot of used copies.

There's a REASON for that. One of those used copies was mine... :mad:

Unless some mofo was hungry, you almost never see used copies of Paul's Boutique or Check Your Head.

FrozenMetalHead
04-28-04, 10:00 AM
BBoys @ MTV Movie Award - June 10 (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=529&e=4&u=/ap/20040428/ap_en_mo/mtv_movie_awards)

Also performing are D12 and Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Downloaded the first single "Ch-Check It Out" off of iTunes last night. Not bad. I'd say it's closest to Hello Nasty.

ClarkKentKY
04-28-04, 02:44 PM
I'm really hoping this hits "The LEAK" on mtv.com the week before it comes out.

SFranke
05-03-04, 10:10 AM
Beastieboys.com has the video for Ch-check it out. It was an alright tune, but the rhymes and, to a lesser extent, the music are definately lacking in comparison to old Beastie Boys songs.

Dan Average
05-03-04, 11:22 PM
Unless some mofo was hungry, you almost never see used copies of Paul's Boutique or Check Your Head.

Lots of hungry mofos using Amazon.com, apparently.

Jepthah
05-04-04, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Dan Average
Lots of hungry mofos using Amazon.com, apparently.

D'oh...I was thinking of brick & mortar shops.

Actually, in today's economy and MP3 age, it's probably not even true there anymore...

cdollaz
05-07-04, 03:42 PM
I heard the new single and Ugh, it was horrible. How about trying something new and different sounding. It sounded like a Beastie Boys cover band doing a bad rendition of a bad song. And the video is weak also.

ClarkKentKY
05-07-04, 05:06 PM
I thought so too at first, but it's starting to grow on me.

Spike Jonze
05-13-04, 12:57 PM
Here's the cover art:

http://sws.pcc.edu/student/CAS111D_jcarroll_23251/seaneidlin27/images/beastie_boys5.jpg

I think it's awesome! :)

Lara Means
05-13-04, 05:46 PM
The video for the new single is great. I'm digging the song too.

Rivero
05-16-04, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by cdollaz
How about trying something new and different sounding.

They did, with Hello Nasty. Some people liked the slightly different songs on it like "I Don't Know" and "And Me"....others didn't. Anyways, "Ch-Check It" is just one track off the album. I'm sure we can expect a few that are, as you say, "new and different sounding" on it when it's finally released.

Kaiser Soze
05-19-04, 04:01 PM
That new song is really good. It has that Hello Nasty sound to it. Can't wait for the new record!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0