Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do I have to watch "Night of the Living Dead" before "Dawn of the Dead"?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-04, 05:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Ok..It may sound stupid, but I have "Night of.." and "Day of.." but have yet to watch them and I have never seen any of the 3.
So do I have to watch them in sequential order to thoroughly enjoy these DVD's?
I expect to get "Dawn.." next week as I have it ordered, but most likely won't be able to watch "Night..", however I am very eager to see "Dawn" simply because I have read so much about it.
Just wondering what you think...
Old 03-02-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They can stand on their own, but they all are part of an overall story arc. Why not watch Night first? IMO, it is one of the finest horror films ever made. I do assume you are talking about the original Night of the Living Dead and not the remake.
Old 03-02-04, 05:08 PM

You can watch Dawn first, but I have no idea why you wouldn't want to watch the masterpiece that is Night first. To each their own I guess...
Old 03-02-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It doesn't really matter, but I'd say to get the absolute best out of every film watch them in order. I also highly recommend the Night Remake, I watch it just as much as the original. Watch it last, though. Each film was made for a certain time, that decade, so watching these films is like watching the US develop.
Old 03-02-04, 05:13 PM

no..no..don't get me wrong..i am eager to see all three..but due to lack of time i was just wondering if i went with "dawn" first would i be missing something if i didn't go with "night" (yes, i mean the original) first? i know they are all great and masterpieces and believe me i have those and many more classics to get to, but the more buzz i hear, the more "dawn" sways me to wanna watch first..ya know?
Old 03-02-04, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Unless you can't graps the concept that the dead are walking the eart and eating humans, then you might have to go back to the beginning.

Nothing is really answered in Night anyhow. Watch it for fun. But it's not like you'll miss anything besides the dead rising. the characters are all different and you might just get the reference to all the rednecks hunting, but that's about it.
Old 03-02-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

you dont have to, no. nothing will be spoiled by watching DOTD, first. if it were me though.....I'd prefer watching them in order.
Old 03-02-04, 05:30 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a question about movies, not anything specific to the DVDs. Moving to Movie Talk.
Old 03-02-04, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Each film stands on it's own as mentioned before. Each film has different characters and different situations (other than zombies running amok) occuring.

If you do want a sense of idea on how the whole zombies running around started, then you should watch Night of the Living Dead before you watch Dawn or Day. Night starts off right when the zombies start appearing everywhere, Dawn takes place when zombies are starting to overthrow humans, and Day takes place where only a handful of humans still exist.
Old 03-02-04, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All the charactors are different and there is no direct relation between the films. The stories are all independant, they just take place in the same universe.

as a side note, actually its kind of cool that every decade since the 60s has had its own dead film.

60s Night of The Living Dead
70s Dawn of The Dead
80s Day of The Dead
90s Night of The Living Dead Remake
2000s Dawn of The Dead Remake

Last edited by cactusoly; 03-02-04 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-02-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You can watch them in any order really. But to get the best effect, watch Night first. While the stories don't really share any characters or plot devices, there is a definite progression in the overarching story of zombies taking over earth as was said before. But really...if you don't have time for Night, go ahead and watch Dawn. It's not like trying to watch the Two Towers w/o watching Fellowship.
Old 03-02-04, 08:44 PM
Banned

Location: I'm Not a Racist buy I Have this friend who says...
Short answer, no.

They don't really add anything to one anothey, they just basically explain why the world is in the shape it's in in the next movie.

NotLD = A bunch of zombies are attacking.
Dawn = The zombie problem in NotLD was a bigger problem that couldn't be controlled and things are starting to go completely ape shit.
Day = The zombie apocalypse is here, so buckle up. But for most people, it's too little, too late.
Old 03-02-04, 09:25 PM
Banned

If I were you I'd watch "Night", a true classic of the genre, then watch it again, and skip this lame remake.
Old 03-02-04, 09:44 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

interesting, i have the same delima, though i did see NIght of hte living dead. I actually have Day of the dead and plan on getting dawn of the dead. Last night i started watching Day. About 20 minutes in so far and its really shitty. laughably shitty. HOpe it gets better. The characters and music in this are just so freakin bad...
Old 03-03-04, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While I wouldn't call Day shitty. I do thinks its easily the weakest of the trilogy. Dawn is the best IMO.
Old 03-03-04, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Unless you can't graps the concept that the dead are walking the eart and eating humans, then you might have to go back to the beginning.

enjoy Dawn- it's a great film that easily stands on its own.
Night was revolutionary at the time, but Dawn is so much richer of an experience in every way.

i envy you being able to see this movie for the first time.
you're in for a treat.
Old 03-03-04, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Not to mention the social commentary that DAWN privides pointed at the average shopping consumer whore.
Old 03-03-04, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,130 Posts
Originally posted by Rivero
If I were you I'd watch "Night", a true classic of the genre, then watch it again, and skip this lame remake.

Wait a minute..... Watch the Original and the 90's Remake.

There's nothing wrong with the remake.
Old 03-03-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

About Day of the Dead, as the years (hell months even) go by my enjoyment of that film rises. It's already passed Night for me and if it keeps going at this rate, I'll probably like just as much as Dawn. I don't think it will ever pass Dawn though. I've easily seen Dawn well over a hundred (maybe 200) times, and I only discovered it 6 years ago.
Old 03-03-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd go with watching them in order. You have them all, might as well do that.

That being said, each film pretty much stands on their own, so you can watch them any way that strikes your fancy.

But there is a distinct progression of themes in the films, based on how long the zombies have been around. I don't see any logical reason to watch them out of order. Especially since they are all (especially the first 2) FANTASTIC movies.
Old 03-03-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
Wait a minute..... Watch the Original and the 90's Remake.

There's nothing wrong with the remake.
I would almost agree, but I think the ending of the original is much more powerful than the remake's ending.
Old 03-04-04, 01:16 PM

I have actually watched the remake of "Night of the Living Dead" (Tony Todd, right?). Would that now spoil the original? Regardless I will watch the original with joyful glee I am sure.

Please don't give anything away, but are the endings alike?

I will most likely watch them in order, with original first and can't wait to see"Dawn" from all I have heard. I don't think I have even caught a snippet of that one, except from the trailer for the remake. Thanks again for all the advice!
Old 03-04-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,130 Posts
Originally posted by majorjoe23
I would almost agree, but I think the ending of the original is much more powerful than the remake's ending.
ok, fair enough.
Old 03-04-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
The original's ending is definitely a social commentary if one ever existed.
Old 03-04-04, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked the end of the Night remake as well as the original "They are us and we are them" pretty cool stuff.

Also, chronologically you could watch the beginning of Zombie (aka Zombie 2), then Night, then the end of Zombie, than Dawn, then Day.