Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363771/

The Walt Disney Company and Walden Media took out a two-page color ad in several newspapers today (Tuesday) to announce that they are teaming up to produce The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. "There are a thousand stories in the land of Narnia ... The first is about to be told," the ad says, while noting that the release is planned for Christmas 2005. The C.S. Lewis tale was turned into an animated film by Bill Melendez in 1979.
Lets see how disney pulls it off. Perhaps this will lead to more Disney Live Action films.

Here is an article about it:

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/...m.narnia.reut/

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- Following collaborations on "Holes," "Ghosts of the Abyss" and the upcoming "Around the World in 80 Days," the Walt Disney Co. has struck a deal with Denver billionaire Philip Anschutz' Walden Media to co-finance and distribute "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe."

Budgeted at more than $100 million, according to sources, the film is scheduled to begin shooting in the summer, with "Shrek" director Andrew Adamson at the helm.

The film, the first installment of Walden's "Chronicles of Narnia" franchise based on the series of children's fantasy books by C.S. Lewis, will be released at Christmas 2005 by Walt Disney Pictures. Under the deal, which includes worldwide distribution rights, merchandising and all ancillary rights, Disney retains the option to release future films in the series, Walt Disney Studios chairman Dick Cook said.

"It's a very, very ambitious production and one that we believe could be very important to the studio," Cook said. "The story and the characters are so inviting that audiences around the world will be excited for the franchise." Cook said the studio is still "digesting" the deal and that it's too early to talk about the timetable for the production of future installments.

The story of Narnia revolves around the Pevensie siblings -- Lucy, Susan, Edmund and Peter -- who go through a magic wardrobe and enter the world of Narnia, a once peaceful land of talking beasts, dwarfs and giants that has since become frozen by the evil White Witch. The four children then help the lion Aslan break the witch's spell.

Ann Peacock wrote the first draft of the script, with revisions by Adamson and Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely.

" 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' has many fantasy elements," Walden Media CEO Cary Granat said. "It is a film that has unbelievably great scenes for families, with four kids who leave a world consumed by war that they have no control over only to enter a world where a war is raging in which their actions are crucial to the outcome. It says a lot about empowerment and fractured families coming together."

Said Adamson: " 'The Chronicles of Narnia' were an important part of my childhood, just as they are to millions of fans around the world. I hope to bring to the screen a movie that is as real to the audience as Narnia was to me as a child."

Lewis launched the series in 1950 with "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" and followed it up with the prequel "The Magician's Nephew" and the sequels "The Horse and His Boy," "Prince Caspian," "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader," "The Silver Chair" and "The Last Battle."

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 03-02-04 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-02-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This could be big.
Old 03-02-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Based on their track record, this film is likely to resemble the story only in the title and the names of the characters and/or locale.

Apart from that, it won't be the Narnia we know.
Old 03-02-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Considering how much praise newline recieved for making LOTR's as true book adaptation as they could. I wouldn't throw out all chances that disney will do a decent book to film adaptation.

I think the days were disney mixes up books like it did for Return to Oz is long over and I expect this to be a good project with hype already starting with a two page ad in today's L.A. Times. that thing was huge.. and I mean huge.
Old 03-02-04, 05:17 PM

I guess the rumor that Peter Jackson was interested was just that, rumor.

Disney getting ahold of this does not sound good for the true content of the stories. C.S. Lewis was a devout Christian philosopher. All of his writing were Christian allegories and full of Christian symbolism. If Disney tries to make just a story, the entire theme of The Chronicles of Narnia will be lost. That would be extremely sad.

If a story purist, like Peter Jackson and LOTR, got ahold of it, this would be very big.

Disney, with their track record, is concerning.
Old 03-02-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts
But I think Jack has a point. Peter Jackson was able to show the industry that YOU CAN follow the book, within reason, and still come up with great film that makes lotsa money.

But who knows, Disney could still blow it.
Old 03-02-04, 05:40 PM
Doctorwho

I don't really care for the first book, or really any except the magicians nephew. So if it's bad then its good because then the wont go forward and do magicians nephew and if its good then they will go forward and do a good magicians nephew.

I think it's the studios are now into the whoring of fantasy, but thats fine by me, can't remember what they whored ten years ago though.

Old 03-02-04, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just hope to all the gods out there that disney doesn't turn this into a friggin' musical.
Old 03-03-04, 03:29 AM

Did anyone else see the BBC version from the 90s, becasue I always thought that one was pretty good?
Old 03-03-04, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm definitely looking forward to this. I loved the books growing up. Who knows? Maybe the same thing will happen to Narnia as it did with Middle Earth...?
Old 03-03-04, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
"There are a thousand stories in the land of Narnia ... The first is about to be told"
Actually, there are only seven, guys.

Anyone know if this is live-action or computer animated? I'm guessing we'll get a combo of both (live actors, CGI Aslan, etc.)
Old 03-03-04, 08:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by look4sheep
Did anyone else see the BBC version from the 90s, becasue I always thought that one was pretty good?

have this in my DVD collection, but have yet to find the time to watch them all the way through.
Old 03-03-04, 08:46 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Doctorwho

that's a pretty hideous looking cover, but I still want this on DVD.
Old 03-03-04, 09:11 AM

I really liked these stories as a kid and hope Di$ney doesnt bastardize my childhood memories

Like Luca$
Old 03-03-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I remember that animated version and found it severely lacking in the quality/detail department. I saw some of the live action mini-series and thought it reasonably well done. I just hope Disney doesn't try the actors dressed as animals approach.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 03-03-04 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-03-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They are Christian allegories, you don't have to be a devout Christian to really enjoy them.
Old 03-03-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Turkish Delight
Old 03-03-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Actually, there are only seven, guys.

Anyone know if this is live-action or computer animated? I'm guessing we'll get a combo of both (live actors, CGI Aslan, etc.)
You're the kind of guy who would demand a refund for the never ending story. It's a tag line.

It's going to be live action.
Old 03-03-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Professor Frink
Turkish Delight
Ohh! I forgot about that . . .

Old 03-03-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Giles
that's a pretty hideous looking cover, but I still want this on DVD.
It is on DVD, though you probably have to go to a Christian bookstore to find it. I got mine at Family Christian Bookstores. Not a great transfrer by any stretch of the imagination, but I wasn't hoping for much in that department, considering the age of this and I highly doubt anybody was keeping this in good shape for a digital transfer later on. I am just glad to have it on DVD period.

And isn't this the THIRD story in the Narnia Chronicles? I know it's the first book, but I thoguht it was like Star Wars New Hope where the order of the books were not the exact order the stories took place.
Old 03-03-04, 04:05 PM

This IS out on DVD but not at sites like Amazon and such. It is some Christian Book site.
Old 03-03-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Judremy
This IS out on DVD but not at sites like Amazon and such. It is some Christian Book site.
Try here.
Old 03-03-04, 04:35 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the love of pete the series SHOULD be in this order:

1. The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe
2. Prince Caspian
3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
4. The Silver Chair
5. The Horse and His Boy
6. The Magicians Nephew
7. The Last Battle

This is the order they were created in--and the order only changed because CS Lewis answered favorably to a childs letter who argued that they should be reordered chronologically.

The current order of the books is NOT chronological.

The books, "The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe" and "The Horse and His Boy" overlap! The revisionists should rip out the pages of HHB and glue them in before the ending of LWW.

Lewis himself once said 'Life begins in the middle'
Old 03-03-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
By Aslan's mane, this sounds good! However, I wonder if it has the same appeal as something like a Harry Potter book.
Old 03-03-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I like Harry Potter and Tolkien. Never read Narnia and I'm 27 years old. Am I too old for it, or does the fact that I read Harry Potter give me a pass?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.