Community
Search

Small crack on my DVD disc

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-04, 01:07 PM
tyg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Small crack on my DVD disc

i have 4 small cracks on the inner ring (the small hole) of my DVD. It's still playable but I'm concern that it might eventually chip off. Is there any way to fix it or do i have to buy another copy?
Old 03-02-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How exactly were these caused do you think?
In my case i've had a couple of discs 'crack' due to them being held too tightly on their hubs in the case and despite the fact i'm always careful removing them.
I've since replaced these discs (but it's personal choice whether you actually rebuy) and any discs i have had to try hard to remove from their cases i've filed down the hubs to make them easier to remove.....thankfully i haven't noticed any problems since.
Old 03-02-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would be less concerned about eventual chipping and more concerned about air exposure. If you have a bunch of cracks, that probably means that some areas of the DVD that are normally sealed from the elements are now exposed. What will that do long-term to the data layer?

I'm pretty ignorant about the technical aspects of DVD manufacture, but I know from my laserdisc days that this is not a good thing.
Old 03-02-04, 02:35 PM

Norammly the cracks will continue to get bigger until the disc is unplayable as well. Depending on how long you've had the disc, I would attemp to exchange it.

Otherwise you could see if you can find some of those hub stickers that are sometimes on the Block Buster discs. The only problem with this is you could throw off the balance of the disc.
Old 03-02-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

have you tried contacting the home video department of the studio that released the disc to see about getting an exchange going? i'd get that disc replaced one way or another, just to be safe.

try this link:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=339191
Old 03-02-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a huge problem on my Gladiator 2 disc DVD. Disc is cracked to all hell on the inner ring but still plays flawlessly.