Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Anyone buy a blind buy of Roswell - Season 1?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-04, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen Roswell when it debuted in 1999. Has anyone bought this set without seeing any episode when the airred n tv 1999 - 2003? What do you think of the set?show in general,etc
Alot of the original music was replaced in order to be release FYI.
~PH
Old 03-01-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought it blind without ever seeing an episode, but I do that with most of the shows I buy, Alias, 24, Buffy, Angel, Smallville, etc... I'm enjoying the show a lot. I don't think it's quite as funny as Buffy/Angel, or have great suspense like 24/ Alias, but the show is quite charming and different in my opinion. I'm very much enjoying the relationship development between the main 2 characters.

Although I haven't seen the aired episodes, I can usually tell if there is a new piece of music and wish I coud've seen the way they were shown originally.

I was a little annoyed with the quality of the pilot, which I thought would be the indication of how the show would look, but was releived to see that the rest of the episodes (I'm on episode 9) looked quite good as far as the picture quality. Nothing spectacular, but on par with Buffy/ Angel. Sound was clear and sounded pretty good for 2.0 track.
Old 03-02-04, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by purplechoe
I bought it blind without ever seeing an episode, but I do that with most of the shows I buy, Alias, 24, Buffy, Angel, Smallville, etc... I'm enjoying the show a lot. I don't think it's quite as funny as Buffy/Angel, or have great suspense like 24/ Alias, but the show is quite charming and different in my opinion. I'm very much enjoying the relationship development between the main 2 characters.

Although I haven't seen the aired episodes, I can usually tell if there is a new piece of music and wish I coud've seen the way they were shown originally.

I was a little annoyed with the quality of the pilot, which I thought would be the indication of how the show would look, but was releived to see that the rest of the episodes (I'm on episode 9) looked quite good as far as the picture quality. Nothing spectacular, but on par with Buffy/ Angel. Sound was clear and sounded pretty good for 2.0 track.
The sound isn't a 2.0 track it is 5.1 Surround Sound. I take it your on episode 9 - Heatwave? Almost 98% of the original songs where replaced but this ep your about to watch Heatwave, has an original song from the show in this ep and that is when Isabel dreamwalks again. I don't want to put many details so I don't spoil it. Also if you wanna remand spoiler free don't listen to the Shiri Appleby & Majandra Delfino Commentary on ep "Crazy" they give away some big highlights that happen to the show in the season 2 and 3. They tell one major effect that happens and listed some guest stars in the other two season. Just a warning. and if your a character fan of those two couples, you love this next ep, Heatwave
Old 03-02-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I blind bought the set too. I'm really enjoying it. I have about 6 episodes left. One thing I noticed during a couple episodes, in certain scenes, it seems like the picture is jittery or something. Has anyone else noticed this? I'd hate to have to replace the whole set and watch it again just to make sure my discs are fine, especially since I'm not terribly sure where I put the receipt. It doesn't seem too noticeable and it doesn't strike me as a defect, as it runs smoothly, it justs looks a little shaky.

Or, perhaps, I'm just crazy. That's also possible.

K
Old 03-02-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's your standard fare from the WB - insert anomoly (aliens, witches, vampires, super heros, etc.) here who look like Ken and Barbie, fight crime and do it with each other.

However, my wife loves Roswell with all of her heart. So to each their own.
Old 03-03-04, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also bought it blind, and I'm really really enjoying it. Its different than i thought. The acting and the chemistry between the characters is really great. Many of these actors should go on to be big stars. I'm a huge buffy/angel/smallville fan and this show is different but if you like these type of shows, you will like it. I love DVD, its great to be able to get a whole season in WS for $38
Old 03-03-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There was a person on Ebay last year that TIVO'd the show and put them on CD. They kept getting closed down being boots and they kept coming back. He got about $100 a year when the sale did go through.
Old 03-03-04, 05:33 PM
SeeNo Member

I bought it blind and I really liked it. Its proabably the best blind buy I've ever bought.
Old 03-03-04, 06:44 PM

Just to let all you blind buyers know:
1. The show only lasted 3 seasons and all 3 seasons will be coming out. You don't have to worry much about if it is given a closure in the series finale or leaving a big cliffhanger like Dark Angel (Dark Angel, is my first blind buy..but I heard the series finale had some big loose ends.) Roswell does have a fitting series finale. Everyone was pretty sure they would not be back for a 4th season, since, stupid UPN cut the order from 22 to 18, so they decided to make a series finale but still poss for them to create a 4th season if that happened and closing everything enough to get a happy ending for most of the characters.

2. I recommend you should try and stay spoiler free. So stay away from sites with summaries and avoid ep "Crazy" commentary. You can still listen to it if you want just fast foward the scene where everyone is "getting ready for the date" Shiri and Majandra slip out some details about the other 2 seasons and some are some big things that happen.

Enjoy The Set..
Old 04-11-04, 10:25 AM

For those of you who bought Roswell blind and want to get alittle preview of what season 2 is like. Scifi will be showing 5 season 2 eps tommorrow in a row. However some will be mixed around

Roswell's 5 - hour block thing will be on tommorrow.
Episodes That will Air:
These eps air tommorrow on the scifi channel starting at: 10am,central time (my time, check your local listing)

season 2 - ep 8 - Meet The Dupes
season 2 - ep 9 - Max In The City
(season 2 - ep 10 - A Roswell Christmas Carol) - not gonna be shown
season 2 - ep 11 - To Serve & Protect
season 2 - ep 12 - We Are Family

(season 2 - ep 13 - Disturbing Behavior) - will not be shown, will air in May

(season 2 - ep 14 - How The Other Half Lives) - will not be shown, will air in May

season 2 - ep 15 - Viva Las Vegas

the reason why they did this, is if they aired in the straight orignal order. the 5th ep would of been a To Be Continued... ep and they figure, it won't air the others till a month after tommorrow eps so they did a little switch. Although they are showing 10 eps in May. The Remainder of Season 2 plus the first 2 of season 3.