Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why all the Hating on Freddie Prinze Jr ?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-04, 06:10 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I just saw Summer Catch and sure it aint gonna set the world alight but it was a fun lighthearted feelgood family movie.

I didn't think Freddie was that bad in it

I also thought he was ok in Head over Heels

so why all the hating on poor Freddie ?

at least we know he has good taste, SMG
Old 03-01-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is he really so "hated on" these days? More of a 1999 problem...

... what next, taking us to task for hating on Corey Haim? Ricky Nelson?

Freddy's not really an issue today. Get back to us when he's playing Jesus in a George Lucas movie.
Old 03-01-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, you are a little late on the scene. Wait till Scooby Doo 2 comes out. It's mainly a "hate" towards teen comedies and that whole craze that he seemed to be the bright shinning star of. His personal information doesn't even factor into this. I don't see folks bring his dad into any sort of comments.
Old 03-01-04, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now come on... I've never said one bad word about either of the Corey's!
Old 03-01-04, 06:45 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

cause hes a god damn shitty actor who gets a god damn shit load of money to star in god damn shit films while he gets to bang a shit load of hot celebrities.
Old 03-01-04, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by whynotsmile
cause hes a god damn shitty actor who gets a god damn shit load of money to star in god damn shit films while he gets to bang a shit load of hot celebrities.
Don't hold back now.
Old 03-01-04, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thank you Justin, for demonstrating not only how to answer a question, but also the versatility of the word "shit".
Old 03-01-04, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Filmography:

I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997)
Sparkler (1997)
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (1998)
She's All That (1999)
Wing Commander (1999)
Down to You (2000)
Boys and Girls (2000)
Head Over Heels (2001)
Summer Catch (2001)
Scooby-Doo (2002)

While I have nothing against him personally it isn't hard to figure out why he is hated by people who have more than an occasional interest in film. In every movie he has made he has either played the same type of character, or co-starred with Sarah Michelle Gellar or Matthew Lillard. He needs to show some range and hopefully do a film that doesn't include Matthew or Sarah. It is getting to the point of annoying.
Old 03-01-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Because he is married to my beloved SMG!!!!

Actually, I think he is a wooden actor with little depth. Bland, too.
Old 03-01-04, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by whynotsmile
I suspect this is true of most hatred of celebrities. Envy.
Old 03-01-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I dunno Dodgingcars, looking at that list makes you wonder. No good squishy on that list
Old 03-01-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I dunno Dodgingcars, looking at that list makes you wonder. No good squishy on that list
True, but I'd actually get the hatred more, if people felt he ruined a good movie by his bad acting.
Old 03-02-04, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by DodgingCars
I suspect this is true of most hatred of celebrities. Envy.
I don't think it's that simple. Freddie receives a lot more hate than other stars who are better looking and more successful. I think he was just in the "right" place at the "right" time to become a trendy subject of internaet hate (Harry Knowles also had something to do with it, I think). Plus, I do think the concept of someone being "unworthy" does factor into it. He's not an actor who lights the screen on fire with his talent or charisma.
Old 03-02-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I still think She's All That is Freddie Prinze Jr.'s best film.

He might be a shitty actor, but I've heard him on Howard Stern a few times before, and he seems like a pretty cool guy. Too bad he can't act through.
Old 03-02-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

He reminds me of Ryan Seacrest.. yup.. that much of an ass clown.
Old 03-02-04, 03:02 PM

I will stop being annoyed by him when
1) he makes a movie I actually want to see
2) I see that movie, and like or respect his performance
Old 03-02-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
I can't remember seeing anything about FP Jr around this forum, much less hating. I've been here a while too.

I will contribute to the topic at hand though by saying "Wing Commander" is probably THE worst movie ever made, but then again I haven't seen Gigli.
Old 03-02-04, 04:23 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997)
Liked the movie, but he's the blandest part of it.

Sparkler (1997)
WTF is this? Never heard of it.

I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (1998)
Crappy sequel. FP Jr. is a bit better in it, but still nothing great.

She's All That (1999)
An okay movie, but nothing special. FP Jr. is alright, nothign to write home about but not offensive yet.

Wing Commander (1999)
Never seen it, but the trailers were wretched.

Down to You (2000)
One of the worst movies I ever saw in theaters. A horrible, horrible movie. This is the point where I really started to dislike FP Jr. The ads had some funny scenes. Unfortunately, the scene sin the trailer were the only ones like that the whole movie.

Boys and Girls (2000)
Deceiving ad campaign, AGAIN, tries to sell this "When Harry Met Sally: Junior Edition" as an American Pie type sex comedy. And those scenes do appear in the movie... TACKED ONTO THE END CREDITS!!! FP Jr.'s performance is better than usual, but still so-so.

Head Over Heels (2001)
After the last two movies, I vowed never to see another FP Jr. movie. My then-girlfriend rented this anyway. Ugh. For the third time they try to draw in males by tacking "guy humor" to an otherwise chick flick. Some oddly placed gross out humor is shoved into a dumb comedy that offers the equally bland Monica Potter as Freddie's love interest. FP Jr. is truly bland here.

Summer Catch (2001)
I missed this one, as I was now single and had the freedom to avoid FP Jr.

Scooby-Doo (2002)
No longer single at this point, so I end up at Scooby Doo. FP Jr. is easily the worst casting in the film. He doesn't have the acting chops to convincingly play A CARTOON CHARACTER! Blech. He is truly terrible.
Old 03-02-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
He's a no-talent asshat who only got his foot in the door because of his name, even though the only thing his father ever did of note was die a "hollywood" death.

Fortunately, he makes the kind of movies I'll never see (with the unfortunate exception of Wing Commander) so he really doesn't bother me too much.
Old 03-02-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
DRG - Wing Commander is one of the worst films ever made... worth watching just for that reason.
Old 03-02-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I will contribute to the topic at hand though by saying "Wing Commander" is probably THE worst movie ever made
I saw Wing Commander theatrically...or at least parts of it, since I kept dozing off during it. (I can't offhand recall ever falling asleep while seeing a movie in a theater.) On the upside, the film broke in the last few minutes, and the manager gave everyone free passes for a movie of our choice. Don't remember what I eventually put it towards, but it wasn't Wing Commander.

I think what really set me against Freddie Prinze Jr. was Boys and Girls, which I sadly also saw theatrically and would probably rank as one of my least favorite movies of all time.
Old 03-02-04, 10:25 PM
Banned

Because he sucks.
Old 03-03-04, 07:14 AM

I have to agree with what some people said about FP Jr. he is nothing more than a non-talented hack of an actor and how did he end up with some of these roles is beyond me. The sooner he fades away from the silver screen to obsecurity the better Hollywood well be for it. And yes Wing Commander is one of the worst films ever made followed closely by Gigli.
Old 03-03-04, 02:06 PM
Banned

One funny story is that he wanted the part of Spider Man SO badly that he dressed up in the costume and personally went to Sam Raimi to audition/beg for the part.

To which Raimi said, "hell no, get out," or something to that effect.

You wonder though, if he had landed that role I wonder if he would have gotten more offers...I don't see that many films lined up on his plate...his last movie was made 2 years ago, ahd the only reason he's on one this year is because it's a sequel.
Old 03-03-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by UKingdom
One funny story is that he wanted the part of Spider Man SO badly that he dressed up in the costume and personally went to Sam Raimi to audition/beg for the part.

To which Raimi said, "hell no, get out," or something to that effect.
Yes, he met with Raimi. Raimi didn't want him for it.

But I have yet to hear any proof to the rest of the rumor... which sounds like some non-fan just recycled the Sean Young-Catwoman story.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.