Community
Search

The Diary of Anne Frank DVD defective?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Diary of Anne Frank DVD defective?

I purchased "The Diary of Anne Frank (1959)" released in Feb 2004 as part of the Fox Studio Classics special edition line of DVD's.

This is the black & white version directed by George Stevens which stars Millie Perkins as Anne.

The film is 3 hours long and between chapters 20-22 (time frame: 1:40:54 - 1:55:00) nothing is playable. The image begins to pixellate and totally freezes my DVD players. The scene where the problem begins is when Otto goes downstairs to check if the thief left.

I've never had a defective DVD. The disc was perfectly clean, and scratch free. I decided to clean the disc with soap and water to make it even more pristine, but the playback froze in the same place when I tried playing again. This is definitely a problem with the disc.

I want to get a replacement for this disc, since I ordered it online from amazon, but if there are others here who have this disc and can confirm freezing during this time frame, I'm not going to bother returning this disc and will accept the 15 minutes of defective footage.

Last edited by cupon; 03-01-04 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-01-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the disc, and mine doesn't have the problem you're referring to.

Rob
Old 03-01-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: The Diary of Anne Frank DVD defective?

Originally posted by cupon
I purchased "The Diary of Anne Frank (1959)" released in Feb 2004 as part of the Fox Studio Classics special edition line of DVD's.

This is the black & white version directed by George Stevens which stars Millie Perkins as Anne.

The film is 3 hours long and between chapters 20-22 (time frame: 1:40:54 - 1:55:00) nothing is playable. The image begins to pixellate and totally freezes my DVD players. The scene where the problem begins is when Otto goes downstairs to check if the thief left.

I've never had a defective DVD. The disc was perfectly clean, and scratch free. I decided to clean the disc with soap and water to make it even more pristine, but the playback froze in the same place when I tried playing again. This is definitely a problem with the disc.

I want to get a replacement for this disc, since I ordered it online from amazon, but if there are others here who have this disc and can confirm freezing during this time frame, I'm not going to bother returning this disc and will accept the 15 minutes of defective footage.
You should definitely ask for a replacement. That is a defective DVD.
Old 03-01-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: The Diary of Anne Frank DVD defective?

Originally posted by DVD Josh
You should definitely ask for a replacement. That is a defective DVD.
I called FOX customer service and they said they nor corporate has heard any report of this disc being defective; if they had, replacements would have been issued. The rep said there might have been a bad batch.

I'm going to purchase a copy at circuit city tomorrow ($10.99) to see if I get a good copy. If I do, I'm going to return my defective copy back to amazon.com for a refund.

Of all the crap DVD's I bought why does one of the good ones have to be defective!
Old 03-01-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's a design defect and there's a manufacturing defect. If ALL the discs were defective, it would be a design defect. Here, it's only yours, so it's a manufacturing defect. It hardly matters whether every single other one is perfect, yours is defective and you are entitled to a refund or exchange.
Old 03-01-04, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Your not alone with this problem.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...+of+Anne+Frank
Old 03-01-04, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
Your not alone with this problem.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...+of+Anne+Frank
This is depressing. The poster on the Home Theater Forum has a defective disc where the flaw occurs at the exact same time/frame/scene where I'm experiencing my problem.
Old 03-02-04, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is depressing. The poster on the Home Theater Forum has a defective disc where the flaw occurs at the exact same time/frame/scene where I'm experiencing my problem.
Then it's a manufacturing defect and they should do a recall / exchange. However, use the Fight Club formula (which is actually correct) to determine whether they will or not.

It's possible they had a bad batch, but that's not your concern. Try another disc and if possible, check it in the store to make sure the problem doesn't occur.

Thanks for the heads up though. Anne Frank was the last one in the series I needed and now I know to watch out for it.
Old 03-02-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just went out and bought a second copy of The Diary of Anne Frank for $10.99 at Circuit City. This copy is flawless. My previous copy is obviously from a bad batch and doesn't exist across the board.

For anyone intent on purchasing this title be sure to watch if there is any flaw between the timeframe of 1:40:00 and 1:55:00. The 21st chapter was completely unplayable for me.

Note: There is a change-over between 1:41:15 and 1:41:16

I'm returning my previous copy back to amazon. BTW, if anyone replies to this thread do you know how long amazon will typically take to refund your credit card when a defective DVD has been returned and received by them?
Old 03-03-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm returning my previous copy back to amazon. BTW, if anyone replies to this thread do you know how long amazon will typically take to refund your credit card when a defective DVD has been returned and received by them?
Amazon estimates 7-14 business days to issue a refund on their website.

Glad to hear a new disc solved the problem. I think Fox may have released a defective batch. I still need to get this DVD myself but have been waiting for the price reductions to take effect at more stores before purchasing.