Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Finally listened to first two commentary tracks!! Do you like commentary tracks??

Community
Search

Finally listened to first two commentary tracks!! Do you like commentary tracks??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-04, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got into DVDs about 2 1/2 years ago. I've always been a big extras person, I love seeing films with long detailed making of documentaries, but I have never listened to a commentary track. Finally over the last couple days I listened to two (1 off the Fellowship of the Ring EE, and xXx). I know owning and listening to xXx's commentary will make most of you think I have no taste, but thats not the point. The point is, I am completely obsessed with commentary tracks now. It was so amazing to be able to listen to the track as the movie plays, and really get a whole new perspective on the film. Being able to listen to the different ways shots were made, on the set stories, and just differnet things that went on during the filming really make you appreciate the film even more. Not to mention, commentaries can probaly really get you another perspective of a film from the minds of those directly invovled with it.

I used to think commentary tracks were worthless, but now I'm definatley going to have to go back through my collection and listen to them.

What are your thoughts on commentary tracks, how did you start with them, what are the best qualities about them, and what are some of your favs?
Old 02-28-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=337239

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=337377

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=333539

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=333218
Old 02-28-04, 05:21 PM

I listen to most commentary tracks, but when i'm alone...
Old 02-28-04, 06:16 PM

I used to think commentary tracks were worthless, but now I'm definatley going to have to go back through my collection and listen to them.

What are your thoughts on commentary tracks, how did you start with them, what are the best qualities about them, and what are some of your favs?
I'm glad you changed your mind. You didn't know what you were missing.

I love commentaries, & listen to them all the time. If a previously bare bones film gets a commentary, that is reason enough for me to buy it again. My favorite ones are by John Frankenheimer.

The first one I ever listened to was on the "King Kong" Laserdisc from Criterion.
Old 02-28-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Commenaries are my favorite extra - definitely browse through the threads that Robert posted above for lots of discussion and suggestions.
Old 02-28-04, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The commentary tracks are also my favourite extra as well (When done well, like Ridley Scott usually does or like the excellent LOTR ).

On a side note has anyone listened to the Tombstone director commentary ? I got bored and turned off after 10 mins, does it improve or does he just continue saying whats on the screen ?
Old 02-29-04, 06:00 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dazed
The commentary tracks are also my favourite extra as well (When done well, like Ridley Scott usually does or like the excellent LOTR ).

be careful of the bad ones, though, like Matrix & Superman, those really suck.
Old 03-01-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes
Old 03-01-04, 12:38 PM

Last night I watched the commentary from "Batman: The Movie - Special Edition" (1966). It was really funny. Adam West and Burt Ward talk about the movie and even make fun of some scenes.
At one point in the movie, Batman and Robin are sliding down the poles to the Batcave and Adam West says to Burt "My pole is bigger than yours."
The movie can be found under $6 at Best Buy, Target and Wal-Mart. I'd recommend it based on the commentary itself.