Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Question about using gift certificates at amazon.com

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I have a quick question about using Amazon $25 gift certificate. This is the certificate you get when you accumulate 2500 points on your Amazon VISA card.

So I received my $25 gift certificate today and went online to order 3 items in a single order. I then received an email from them stating that my total is $29.07 after subtracting $25 gift certificate from the total. Everything looks good so far.

Then I went to amazon web site to check my order status from the web site and my order page stated that my items will be split into two shipment. One shipment has $18.98 and other shipment has $35.09. Then I noticed that only $18.98 of $25 gift certificate is being used. And the rest of the $25 amount is not being subtracted from the $35.09 shipment. So I end up having to pay $35.09 instead of $27.09 as stated in a previous email they sent me.

Has anyone else encounter this type of quirk? Do I need to contact amazon about this? Or will the full $25 amount be eventually applied to the rest of my order too?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-28-04, 12:37 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was your total $29.07 or $27.09?

Amazon uses weird mathematics in their online order history pages. Their numbers may not add up correctly during partial shipment. However, most of the time the correct amount will be charged at the end.

My suggestion is to keep your amazon order confirmation page. If the numbers don't add up at the end, then complain it to amazon and let them deal with it (remind them that you have the right to let your CC company deal with the incorrect amount charged to your CC).
Old 02-28-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You have me confused with the amounts since your total changes from $29.07 to $27.09. Did you check your account to see if there are any GC funds available that may have dropped off the order? Otherwise I would suggest contacting customer service to verify you were being charged correctly, and all your $25 GC was applied to the order. I would rather have the problem fixed now before it ships instead of having to go through the hassle of getting a refund later.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 02-28-04 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-28-04, 07:40 AM

Sorry about the confusion. I'm a bit confused myself and couldn't add up the numbers correctly. The following is part of the order confirmation email I got from amazon. The price is $29.07 not $27.09:

ORDER DETAILS

Shipping Details (orders will arrive in 2 shipments)
Order number:103-3276063-3926243
Shipping Method:FREE Super Saver Shipping (5-9 business days)
Shipping Preference:Group my items into as few shipments as possible

Subtotal of Items: $57.97
Shipping & Handling: $7.75
Promotional Certificates: -$11.65
---------
Total: $54.07
Gift Certificates: -$25.00
---------
Total for this Order: $29.07
Old 02-28-04, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by eau
Was your total $29.07 or $27.09?

Amazon uses weird mathematics in their online order history pages. Their numbers may not add up correctly during partial shipment. However, most of the time the correct amount will be charged at the end.

My suggestion is to keep your amazon order confirmation page. If the numbers don't add up at the end, then complain it to amazon and let them deal with it (remind them that you have the right to let your CC company deal with the incorrect amount charged to your CC).
It's $29.07. Sorry about that.

I'll save my confirmation email and wait for both partial orders to ship before determining if my gift certificate was applied correctly. Hopefully, as you mentioned, it's just the numbers not adding up correctly on their web site and I will be charged correctly.
Old 02-28-04, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
You have me confused with the amounts since your total changes from $29.07 to $27.09. Did you check your account to see if there are any GC funds available that may have dropped off the order? Otherwise I would suggest contacting customer service to verify you were being charged correctly, and all your $25 GC was applied to the order. I would rather have the problem fixed now before it ships instead of having to go through the hassle of getting a refund later.
No remaining balance on by GC fund when I checked. I already sent an email to amazon customer service rep explaining the situation. I hope it's just their web site not displaying the number correctly due to splitting of the orders into two different shipment. And that once all partial orders are shipped, all the numbers will add up correctly.
Old 02-28-04, 01:02 PM

This happened to me before also. I emailed customer support when I saw it and they told me it should work out in the end. It did. I believe you can always check your credit card statement online to see how much Amazon charged you. If I'm not mistaken they charge your card when you order. It should work out though.

Brian
Old 02-28-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It usually works out in the end when all is said and done, but their math is atrocious during the process.

The good news - if it doesn't, call them AFTER everything ships and they almost always will fix it.
Old 02-28-04, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bdrules
I believe you can always check your credit card statement online to see how much Amazon charged you. If I'm not mistaken they charge your card when you order.
Amazon will not charge your credit card until the order is being processed for shipment.
Old 02-28-04, 04:14 PM

Great. I just checked my order status from amazon web site and the 2nd partial order is now being 'shipped soon'. And when I look at the total, the remaining $6.02 in gift certificate is being applied correctly to that partial order. So everything checks out.

Thanks guys for all your help.
Old 03-02-04, 09:30 AM

For future reference, this is normal behavior for Amazon GC's. From what I've seen, they don't really "charge" the GC account till the item ships, so any partial shipments cause outstanding balances that then get paid off by whatever's in the GC account. As others have said, it looks funky, but usually works out in the final math once all items have shipped.