Community
Search

Schindler's List: Your Questions Answered

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Schindler's List: Your Questions Answered

i got the regular 1-disc release of Schindler's List today, and i saw over on HTF that a lot of people wondered some stuff about the release in their review thread over there.. i don't feel like registering just to post once.. but here are some answers..

the film is split over the two sides of the disc, side A is about 2h 13m long, and the other is 1h 11m (the 80-minute doc is on side B too so i guess that's why it's not split in half). i looked up where it cuts off and it wasn't in the middle of a scene.. side A ends with Schindler having some discussion with some men, and side B begins with an outdoor shot, kids playing in a park. side A ends with a note saying to flip the disc.

side B starts directly at a simple menu where you either select continue playing the film or go to the menu. there are no warnings or anything like that which was nice.

the regular release i got comes in a packaging that looks just like a book cover.. it's the same material and it's actually very nice-looking although there's nothing to snap it together. it didn't even have any DVD logo on it so it actually looks like a book (albeit a very thin one, it's thinner than a regular DVD keepcase). like the Indiana Jones DVD box it came with a glued-on piece of paper on the back with the specs.. oddly enough, when i removed it (it was poorly glued on so i decided to take it off) behind that, on the actual packaging there were specs but there it said full screen 1.33:1.. the DVD was widescreen though, and there's a sticker on the plastic that says so as well. it didn't have any security stickers on it either.

i didn't watch the film yet, just glanced a bit.. the video quality looked very good, but not stellar (and i just have a 21" tv too) like the HTF review said. granted, they have pro equipment and watched the whole thing but to me it seemed to have more grain than one would want.. maybe it gets better eventually. not a bad transfer by any means, but not a complete home run, slam dunk either.

that's all i can think of for now.. if anyone has any other questions, i'll try my best to answer them.

Last edited by Grizzly; 02-27-04 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-27-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hmm.. the "Voices from the List" documentary won't play on my Toshiba SD-1200.. it's over 3½ years old but i've never once had any problem playing something before. the DVD is spotless, and i tried several times and it just stopped loading right when it should start playing. hopefully it's just the disc i got that's faulty.
Old 02-27-04, 05:19 PM

being from the U.K I'll pick up the 2 disc Region 2 version with movie on 1 disc and extras on the 2nd which I believe will have more "regular" 2 disc packaging.
Old 02-27-04, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Schindler's List: Your Questions Answered

Originally posted by Grizzly
but to me it seemed to have more grain than one would want.
There's nothing wrong with film grain if that's the way the movie was meant to look, which is the case with "Schindler's List."
Old 02-27-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the in-depth information! Are there forced trailers?

Really looking forward to buying this disc (probably pick up the box set) and hearing the DTS soundtrack. And yes, film grain was surely intentional for this film.
Old 02-27-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

good question, are there forced trailers?
Old 02-27-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any chance you can post pics of the packaging?
Old 02-27-04, 11:42 PM

I tought it was a two-disks set ?
Old 02-28-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

no forced trailers. it doesn't have any trailers on it whatsoever, not even for the film itself.

as for the film grain.. maybe you're all right. i saw the film once (and that was almost 10 years ago) so i don't really remember.. the image quality is definitely nothing to worry about.. and i can live with grain too.. the transfer didn't seem to suffer from anything else so maybe it truly is as intended.

i'll see what i can do about packaging images..
Old 02-28-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

by the way, the little black alarm strip thing is UNDER the plastic part that holds the DVD.. very annoying.
Old 02-29-04, 08:21 AM

Aaargh- a flipper! Not again....