Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How to transport a rear projection TV.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to figure out the best way to transport a 53" WS tv...

I know that the original packaing would be the best solution - but the original packing no longer exists, what should I do?
Old 02-25-04, 12:46 PM

Old 02-25-04, 12:47 PM

I just moved my 57" WS about a month ago. We had some furniture delivered to my new house and we paid those guys an extra $50 to move the TV too. They had a rental truck and covered it with blankets and strapped it in. What type of resources do you have? How many people and are there steps involved?
Old 02-25-04, 01:22 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Piano movers.
Old 02-25-04, 02:07 PM

I moved my 57" last year. I used a pickup truck, although an enclosed truck would have been much better. Make sure you have plenty of padding under the TV to minimize damage from bumps in the road. I used one of those yellowish mattress pads (egg crate type) folded twice. I put the set on top of that, then wrapped blankets around the whole thing. Then around the blankets I wrapped lots of tape, all the way around the set so the blankets stay tight against the screen without any flapping. Wind can cause alot of damage to your screen if it is not wrapped adequately. Only other thing is make sure it is tied down securely.
Old 02-29-04, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am about to moce my 57" Widescreen Tosh to my new apartment, but I still have the Orig Box in storage so that should help me Vary Nicely....
Old 02-29-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I moved my 55" WS this past year. We had to move it up a flight of stairs which was a bitch.

My advice, get some STRONG friends.

I just strapped it in a pickup and wrapped it with lots of blankets and strapped it in. I think we even had someone in the back with it....JUST INCASE. I only had to move it a short distance though....
Old 03-11-04, 10:50 AM

amke sure it is upright during the whole process or it will mess up the gun alignment. i am delivery for a company that will remain nameless and people do that all the time and they usually pay a big service bill. pads, blankets, straps, and some good backs are my best advice.
Old 03-11-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Pay some professional mover and make sure to get it insured...the biggest problem is not damage to the body of the TV (most movers are careful with that) but screwing up the convergence inside the TV...if they tip it sideways just to get it up in a truck, your convergence could be knocked out of alignment...
Old 03-17-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally posted by ssjmoo
amke sure it is upright during the whole process or it will mess up the gun alignment. i am delivery for a company that will remain nameless and people do that all the time and they usually pay a big service bill. pads, blankets, straps, and some good backs are my best advice.

Good Advice!