Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Top 100 DVD Census 2004 - THE RESULTS ARE IN!!!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-23-04, 11:49 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At long last, the result site for the Top 100 DVD Census is up:

http://cinema-review.com/dvd/000018/index.php

I started this new thread to discuss the results. Please let me know here if I've messed-up anything or have gotten any facts wrong. Errors are bound to creep in throughout a month of writing 9,000 words on a subject.

You may also leave general comments on the individual pages of the site.
Old 02-23-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
On the first few pages of the Top 100, the link for the next group of DVDs is in the middle of the last entry.
Old 02-23-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is this Top 100 supposed to be taken seriously? I find it to be very flawed.
Old 02-23-04, 12:35 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Originally posted by Dane
Is this Top 100 supposed to be taken seriously? I find it to be very flawed.
The democratic process usually is. The Top 100 was voted on by 850 forum members and video store patrons.
Old 02-23-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
way way up.
Great job man.
Old 02-23-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Phenomenal Job man, just great work. Thank you for your effort!

Though I think the LOTR films will definately diminish in time next time this list is done. I think they happened to be freshest in most people's minds and are slotted thusly.

I was suprised that the Back to the Future release wasn't top 10, as I was suprised by how high Superman finished.

And I'm glad I made some quotes! Awesome man!
Old 02-23-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good job, although I am a bit surprised to see FOTR EE beat TTT EE.
Old 02-23-04, 01:10 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not as surprised as I am to see that Ric Flair made the list.

That said, nice job. A few misses, a few surprises...keeps you on your toes.

Last edited by MrE; 02-24-04 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-23-04, 01:14 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by MrE
Not as surprised as I am to see that Ric Flair made the list.
I'm more surprised how high Flair ranked.
Old 02-23-04, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by Simpson Purist
Good job, although I am a bit surprised to see FOTR EE beat TTT EE.
It was the better movie. Extras for The Two Towers might have been slightly more disclosing, and therefore slightly better, but the movie just wasn't as good. The earlier dvd also had a twelve month head start . . .
Old 02-23-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great job!

Enjoy the descriptions for each DVD very much.
Old 02-23-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spectacular work!
Old 02-23-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Excellent work - much appreciated!
Old 02-23-04, 01:48 PM
Suspended

Some canvas replies:

* I'm working on a bug in IE that causes the "Next" links to appear in the wrong place. Reloading the page fixes the problem, but I'll work on it.

* I was surprised by a number of titles on the list. They are unedited, unadulterated - so while some of my favourites didn't make the top 125, the list is totally democratic.

* Not only did Fellowship of the Ring: EE beat out the Two Towers: EE, but it came out nearly 800 points in the lead. #3 was about 400 points behind #2, so the LotR: EEs really dominated the list by far.

* I expect next year's list will include the trilogy release of LotR, and thus reduce its entry to 1.

* Next year I will be consolidating single disc releases into their boxed sets if the boxed set provides content that the single disc releases don't - otherwise boxed sets will gather the votes of their flock.

* Next year the list will separate films from TV on DVD, and each TV *series* will be collected as one entry.

* Thank you not only to everyone who voted, but to everyone who has e-mailed or posted with their feedback. It's much appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------

I want to take a moment to signal out DVD Josh for his help with collecting the Voter's Quotes. He really did a great job and was a tremendous help and deserves kudos.

And thanks to everyone who posted screencaps in the help thread.
Old 02-23-04, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by jough
* Not only did Fellowship of the Ring: EE beat out the Two Towers: EE, but it came out nearly 800 points in the lead.
Disregarding the public's preference of one LOTR installment over another, I think one of the main reasons that the Fellowship EE was chosen so clearly over the Two Towers EE is that it came first, blew everybody away in terms of disc content and therefore tends to be the first one that comes to mind when people think of how great the LOTR EEs are.

By the way, how did you count a general vote for simply "Lord of the Rings" or were all of the votes more specific?
Old 02-23-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really appreciate you doing this, I imagine it was a huge undertaking. Just want you to know I appreciate it.
Old 02-23-04, 02:37 PM

Yes, much appreciated!
Old 02-23-04, 02:53 PM
Suspended

Tell your friends!

When someone voted for something in a series and didn't list the specific entry in that series, I counted it as a vote for the first item. So "The Sopranos" was a vote for Season 1, and "Lord of the Rings" was a vote for Fellowship.

I realise that this inflated the FotR disc a bit, but only by a small amount. It was so far and away the winner that no margin of error could have knocked it from its perch.

And keep in mind also that the FotR was on 98% of the total lists, whereas TTT was only on 94% of them. Total votes count.
Old 02-23-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

cool list.
Old 02-23-04, 02:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
The list was very well put together and fun to read. Nice Job!
Old 02-23-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The democratic process usually is. The Top 100 was voted on by 850 forum members and video store patrons.
No hard feelings on a job well done. But is this supposed to be understood as 850 single forum members or 850 various fora from around the world?

If this indeed is only 850 single forum members, then this hardly gives a reliable indication what the majority of DVD lovers thinks are the best DVDs released.
Old 02-23-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

* Next year the list will separate films from TV on DVD, and each TV *series* will be collected as one entry.
That'll be nice since most people tend to pick the most recently released season anyway. I'd rather just list the TV show in general (unless the said season was REALLY spectacular in overall quality).
Old 02-23-04, 03:26 PM
Suspended

No hard feelings on a job well done. But is this supposed to be understood as 850 single forum members or 850 various fora from around the world?

If this indeed is only 850 single forum members, then this hardly gives a reliable indication what the majority of DVD lovers thinks are the best DVDs released.
The list's votes cull together 850 online forum votes with 1,200 in-store write-in votes from various video stores that me and a helpful friend in L.A. could drive to.

And as the majority of DVD lovers tend to post to the three forums where the list was posted (DVD Talk, Home Theater Forum, and DVD File) it's about as representative as possible.

It's not meant to be the be-all and end-all of the world's opinion - but I would consider the members of these forums to be the foremost experts on DVD releases, and I included the in-store rental outlet votes to get the "joe six pack" vote to balance things out.

I had to throw out some of those, as they sometimes voted for things that weren't even on DVD yet - and the total list (page 2) does not take into account the write-in votes that didn't make the list.
Old 02-23-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts
An excellent job in capturing, collating, and presenting the data in an appealling format.

Phenomenal work Jough! Much appreciated by the DVD faithful around the Internet.

C! H! I-C-O! Goooooooooooooooooooo Chico!!
Old 02-23-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not sure why you have such a problem with the list. I thought it was a very good representation.

Also, are you thinking of it in the terms of the intent of the list? From the original post in the voting thread . . .
You select the 10 DVD releases that you consider to be best overall, ranked in descending order of quality. "Best" is determined by two criteria: movie quality and DVD quality. It is meant to incorporate the DVD presentation of the film, but it's not entirely about the extras and DVD layout. Take both factors into consideration when making your selections. DVD quality includes audio/video quality plus the quality of extra features.
Does that change you opinion of the final list?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.