Community
Search

resivor dogs se?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-04, 09:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
resivor dogs se?

is the current 2 disc resivor dogs going oop. because i keep seeing low prices for it ($9.99 at target while $7.99 at circuit city) because if it is goin oop i should pick it up.
Old 02-21-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The versions with the slip cover are limited edition, but they all have the same DVD's inside.
Old 02-21-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All of the Mr. "color" editions are now out of print. There is still a SE version out with all Mr.'s on the cover.
Old 02-21-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The reason for the low prices is because its price was recently reduced, not because its going OOP (as far as I know). I'm hoping Artisan lives up to its reputation and rereleases this one with a better transfer.
Old 02-21-04, 08:52 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Well, coming up should be:

Reservoir Dogs: Ultimate Edition (metal cover)

followed by:

Reservoir Dogs: Extreme Edition (another metal cover, only this one will tear up the keepcase if you try to remove it).

Just you wait.
Old 02-21-04, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Or maybe it will just be "Reservoir Dogs: Original theatrical cut" with an approved QT transfer and no missing dialogue. Artisan may also just drop the price until the every copy is free with a five dollar bill inside. Hey, it could happen...
Old 02-23-04, 05:24 PM

The SE has missing dialogue? Thats the one i have but i might need to track down the old one if it does.
Old 02-23-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, there are several missing lines of dialogue and a crappy transfer. I repurchased the original release.
Old 02-23-04, 09:34 PM

With this movie being as cheap as it is, I bought the original for the movie itself and the SE for the extras.
Old 02-24-04, 01:21 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
The SE doesn't have a great transfer, but it's still better than the original release.
Old 02-24-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by jough
The SE doesn't have a great transfer, but it's still better than the original release.
Only in that it's anamorphic. The colors are completely washed out and the disc has no black level at all. The original disc's color transfer was much more accurate to the theatrical presentation.
Old 02-24-04, 11:11 AM

The SE colours are closer to the theatrical presentation I saw (3 times).
Old 02-24-04, 12:19 PM

I hate these mutiple releases of thr same film... especially when the later editions are worse than the previous ones. Are the extras worth the purchase though? I guess I'll wait for the ultimate edition or something.
Old 02-24-04, 12:57 PM
Suspended

The original disc had higher contrast, but it was artificial, and you lost a lot of definition in that contrast.

I'll take the slightly soft version over the hard-compressed fake contrast version any day.

The film was pretty low budged, and the SE transfer is about as good as you can expect. Were I timing the telecine transfer I probably would've struck more of a balance between definition and contrast, but I can't argue with the current release. It looks better than Res Dogs' ever looked on home video.
Old 02-24-04, 01:34 PM
Suspended

Being a Tim Roth fan, I got Mr. Orange when it was 1st release along w/ Mr. White, Harvey Keitel. Nice package. And yes, inserts were included.

If you can pick up the Mr. Color edition, by all means do it.

Amazon.com still has Mr. Blonde, Michael Madsen, in stock for $12.73.
Well, coming up should be:

Reservoir Dogs: Ultimate Edition (metal cover)

followed by:

Reservoir Dogs: Extreme Edition (another metal cover, only this one will tear up the keepcase if you try to remove it).

Just you wait.
What the hell, Terminator 2 deja vu?
Old 02-24-04, 02:08 PM
Suspended

Yes, I was making a joke.

But I bet you I won't be far off. I'd bet good money that we haven't seen the last release of Reservoir Dogs yet.
Old 02-24-04, 03:11 PM
Cool New Member

i got this dvd (mr. blonde edition) a year ago from deepdiscountdvd but never watched it since i had the old disc. the other day i finally opened it and watched the movie to find that it was defective. is there any way to get a new one? ddd.com won't give me a replacement since its been over 30 days...will artisan replace it for me?
Old 02-24-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sticking with my R2 UK copy which has a nice anamorphic transfer and all the dialogue. Shame it's 2.0 with no extras, but I'd rather that than the crappy SE which I returned for a refund.
Old 02-24-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
What lines of dialog?
Old 02-25-04, 02:27 AM

from dvdcompare
-0:28:32 MR. WHITE: "I think he just passed out."
(-0:38:23 MR. BLONDE: "Joe" => This line is NOT missing, but is a very quiet mumble.)
(-0:51:33 MARVIN NASH: "I haven't been looking." => This line is NOT missing, but is a very quiet mumble
Just the one line is missing.
Old 02-25-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did Tarantino approve this transfer?
Old 02-25-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by aam1
The SE colours are closer to the theatrical presentation I saw (3 times).
You saw a faded print.

The original disc had higher contrast, but it was artificial, and you lost a lot of definition in that contrast.
This has been discussed many times before. The movie was shot on high-contrast film stock under intense lighting conditions in that warehouse set in order to intentionally pump up the colors and deepen the black level. Take a look at any other movie Adrzej Sekula has photographed. It's his signature style.

The SE DVD doesn't have a black level. The closest it comes to black is faded brown. Just look at the opening credits! It's disgusting, and in no way replicates the theatrical experience.
Old 02-25-04, 10:46 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Josh Z
Take a look at any other movie Adrzej Sekula has photographed. It's his signature style.
Well, Reservoir Dogs wasn't exactly a high-budget film. That Mr. Sekula wouldn't have had everything at his disposal is a given.

Also, consider that Reservoir Dogs is his first film as DP.

Looking at his list of films on IMDB, I wouldn't say that he has a "signature style" as many of those films were shot differently.

Or are you saying that you don't think Andrzej Sekula has range or skill as a cinematographer?
Old 02-25-04, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by Josh Z
You saw a faded print.
I know. It was the same print each time over a period of about 3 years.

The film is too good (IMHO) to get involved in whether it looks exactly right or not. I've seen all the 'problems' - Massive Edge enhacement, 'miss-framing', contrast and missing line, but in the end, I don't think those features are what made this film.
Old 02-26-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, Reservoir Dogs wasn't exactly a high-budget film. That Mr. Sekula wouldn't have had everything at his disposal is a given.
The movie was shot primarily on one set, with lots and lots of lights to pump up the colors and contrast (cinematography articles from the time claimed that the average temperature in that warehouse set was about 90 degrees). Doesn't require much of a budget for that.

"Low budget" doesn't necessarily have to mean a faded, grainy, colorless picture. That's a misconception that Kevin Smith has foisted on the world.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.