Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Cleaning Up The Archive Folder

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just reading over the Archive folder again, and I have to admit to being baffled. Now, there's some truly brilliant stuff in there, don't get me wrong... the Top Bunk saga, some of the Meet photos, Jules Winfield... but there's also a slew of threads that seem mundane or mediocre.

Good example: there are a TON of threads by JonTurner entitled "Best Film of (insert year here)". Each one has only 2-3 pages, and there doesn't really seem to be any true discussion. I'm not sure what the real value of these threads is... but even if you wanted to keep these, couldn't all of this be merged into one thread?

There are other threads that I frankly don't see the historical signicance of, like the numerous anime threads and some of the joke threads. I guess my thought is that I know there have been better threads in the past, and if we're limited to just five pages, I'd like to see a bit more variety.

Plus I don't think there's anything in there from the early, early days of the forum... and I know Geoff has some really cool stuff just sitting around on a zip disk somewhere. What do you say?
Old 02-20-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, don't knock the joke threads. The one about about Val Kilmer in Twikoff: The Movie is a brilliant read.
Old 02-20-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

meet photo threads usually don't archive well since the pics all turn into red x's.
Old 02-20-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Hey, don't knock the joke threads. The one about about Val Kilmer in Twikoff: The Movie is a brilliant read.
No, not the threads with jokes in them -- threads that say "Your Favorite Jokes Here" and such.
Old 02-20-04, 10:49 PM
Uber Member

An earlier version of the Archive forum was lost to a server crash.

The Best film of threads were a long term project of that member to judge what members who frequented the Movie Talk forum thought were the best films of a given decade. It's a nice way to get a per decade over view of some good films if you're looking to expand your library or movie interests. Merging them all together would make it hard to find the results that were (if memory serves) tallied up in the first post of each thread.

To be fair, you're not the only one who questioned how useful or interesting the threads were, but for those who participated, it was certainly of interest to them. I don't think they take up that much room, so I don't see the harm in keeping them.
Old 02-21-04, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
one of the threads seem to be real good

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=258931

I say keep them all. At one time someone thought they were worthy and it is fun reading back thru some of the older threads.
Old 02-21-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, is there a page limit for the Archive folder? Or can you add as much as you want?
Old 02-22-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
There is no limit as to how many threads can be put into the Archive.

Most of the forums are cleaned out periodically by Geoff to save on disk space, so threads older than 1-2 years generally get deleted.

If you think there's a thread that is particularly worthy of being preserved, report it to a moderator, and they may move a copy of it into the Archive.