Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Elektra spinoff is a go with Rob Bowman as director

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jennifer Garner will spend her summer vacation from ''Alias'' wearing a skimpy skintight costume and using her lethal skills to fight double-crossing bad guys. Her busman's holiday will be the shoot of ''Elektra,'' the long-gestating ''Daredevil'' spinoff, which Variety reports will go before the cameras in May. Rob Bowman (''Reign of Fire'') will direct the feature, whose storyline will be drawn from the graphic novels ''Elektra: Assassin'' and ''The Elektra Saga.'' In the film, Garner's hitwoman will go up against the Hand, the organization that trained and betrayed her. Still to be cast is veteran Marvel Comics character Stick, a martial arts trainer. As far as making an actual ''Daredevil'' sequel, Variety reports that 20th Century Fox is keeping its options open, but we doubt whether even the sonar skills of Ben Affleck's sightless superhero could detect a second film on the horizon.
Old 02-19-04, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't foresee this film being particularly good, but I'm very glad to see Jennifer Garner on the big screen. Hopefully it's better than I would expect
Old 02-19-04, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Will this be before or after DareDevil?

SPOILER ALERT

She did "die" at the end of DareDevil, you know.
Old 02-19-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Elektra spinoff is a go with Rob Bowman as director

Originally posted by Rypro 525
In the film, Garner's hitwoman will go up against the Hand, the organization that trained and betrayed her.
The Hand?

Is that a joke?
Old 02-19-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Re: Re: Elektra spinoff is a go with Rob Bowman as director

Originally posted by kicker_of_elves
The Hand?

Is that a joke?
I can only hope that Frank Miller pens the script.

Oh and Dr. DVD...

Old 02-19-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll pass on this one. I didn't think she was the ideal fit for the role of Elektra. Then again I didnt think Affleck made a good Daredevil either....
Old 02-19-04, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I'll pass...

I can't stand Jennifer Garner and although I really liked the movie I didn't think she was all that big a deal in Daredevil.
Old 02-19-04, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
another person that thought garner as elektra was an awful pick.
Old 02-20-04, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Let me understand this..Stick who trained Daredevil was no where in the Daredevil movie...but will be in the Elektra movie? Color me confused.
Old 02-20-04, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Dr. DVD

SPOILER ALERT

did she? Or is that why you used quote marks?

Spoiler:
what about the braille necklace DD found hanging on the roof at the end?

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-20-04 at 01:49 AM.
Old 02-20-04, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD

SPOILER ALERT

... after Daredevil. The DC dvd of DD will show what happened.

Answer:

No, she did not die.
Old 02-20-04, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to the comics: No, she did not die. I won't spoil it for you non-comic people though.

As for this movie, boo!!! She was one of the many parts I hated about the DareDevil movie, alright, she was a huge part of the reason I disliked the movie. She was a mis-casted in the part of Elecktra... No hopes for this one, at all. DareDevil was somewhat of a success, not on the level of X-Men or Spiderman, but it certainly done better than per say The Hulk or the Punisher will do. I don't see why they don't move along with a sequel, it'd be the perfect thing to go up against WB/DC's Batman: Intimdation.
Old 02-20-04, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
or the Punisher will do
uhhh so you saw the movie already? Tell us oh great one how will Star Wars Episode III turn out?
Old 02-20-04, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Huge Alias fan here. Jennifer Garner is teh hot. But as much as I would love to see her in a skin-tight leather outfit for a whole movie, I didn't think she was really fit the part of Elektra very well. Hopefully, this won't suck as bad as the Daredevil movie did.
Old 02-20-04, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by zero
uhhh so you saw the movie already? Tell us oh great one how will Star Wars Episode III turn out?
I agree.

I didn't have any hope for The Punisher but the trailer at least made me want to give it a chance.
Old 02-20-04, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by funkyryno
Huge Alias fan here. Jennifer Garner is teh hot. But as much as I would love to see her in a skin-tight leather outfit for a whole movie, I didn't think she was really fit the part of Elektra very well. Hopefully, this won't suck as bad as the Daredevil movie did.
i just started watching Alias a couple weeks ago and have already polished off the first season set.
by far, the quickest i've ever gone thru that many hours of content.
it is a F***ing damned entertaining show, and Garner is the real deal. much more than just a pretty face.
but i have to agree with the overwhelming majority here. miscast.
shes attractive and can pull of the physical work, but shes too San Fernado valley for this role.
there was a lot of potential with that character, and the Elektra: Assasin series was incrediblely well done, but it looks like another dud to me shaping up.

Punisher and Man-Thing will probably surprise a lot of people though.
Old 02-20-04, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This sounds weak.
Old 02-20-04, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
I'll pass...

I can't stand Jennifer Garner and although I really liked the movie I didn't think she was all that big a deal in Daredevil.
Right there with you, brother.
Old 02-20-04, 08:53 AM
Banned

b*tch b*tch b*tch...its all you people do...
Old 02-20-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I never realized so many of you didn't care for her as Elektra. I thought she was okay, since she can obviously handle the physicality required for the role, but I will profess that I didn't have a big mental picture of her before the film - Daredevil was one of the few Marvel comics I didn't read back in the day.
Old 02-20-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by funkyryno
I agree. Jolene Blaylock (from Enterprise) was also up for the part of Elektra. I think she would have been better choice. At least Jennifer Garner should die her hair black to make her more ethnic looking and not like a California girl.

I say this with every comic book movie, but I will say it once more; I don't know how they are going to make this into a movie.

Slightly related topic: Ben Affleck has said in Sci Fi Magazine he's not all that eager to do a sequel to Daredevil unless Kevin Smith is involved. He also said that his career would start going "downhill" if he started reviving the same character over and over. This guy has made more bombs over the last few years than Hamas. His career was on going downhill LONG before Daredevil. Ben, shut up and do the movie.
Old 02-20-04, 03:53 PM

I just hope we get a DareDevil 2 movie! I had no problems with the first movie, yea it did have a few issues. However, overall it was pretty good. You can not bitch at the director with this, watch the commentary.

As far has Elektra....the casting was a off...but I think they were looking for two things 1.)Eye Candy and 2.) Hot chick that is fit in a muscular way.

It would have sucked if they casted a hot greek chick that didn't have the correct body type....not going just T&A

Also I think Marvels QA is doing pretty good....they aren't flooding the silver screen with 'pure' shit....well not yet
Old 02-20-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my honest opinion is that Alias got Garner daredevil. the producers probably liked the show. (who else was up for the role?)
Old 02-20-04, 04:00 PM

I agree with everyone here...Garner wasn't that great as Elektra. But, on the bright side, at least it's a different director. God, part of the problem with Garner was that the movie she was in blew! Worst blind buy eva.
Old 02-20-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll see this opening weekend unlike most here.

I think Garner was a bad choice for Elelktra, but I also think Daredevil was a bad choice to be translated into a movie & I think Elelktra is an even worse choice to be turned into a movie. That said, I love Garner, think she is hot as hell, & really enjoyed Reign of Fire, so I'll be there whenever this movie is released.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.