Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Guns N Roses 'Hits' Coming Before New Album

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-04, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from Billboard.com

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/ar...ent_id=2092185

Edited By Jonathan Cohen. February 17, 2004, 2:45 PM ET

GNR's 'Hits' Coming Before New Album

While work continues on Guns N' Roses' endlessly delayed album "Chinese Democracy," Geffen has set a March 23 release date for "Greatest Hits," compiling 14 of the hard rock act's best-known tracks. The album boasts such favorites as "Welcome to the Jungle," "Sweet Child O' Mine," "Patience," "Paradise City" and a cover of the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil" from the "Interview With a Vampire" soundtrack.

This is the third archival Guns N' Roses release since last fall, when Geffen issued DVDs of the home videos "Welcome to the Videos" and the two-volume "Use Your Illusion."

However, according to sources, the band did not give its consent for "Greatest Hits" to move forward and may pursue legal action to block its release.

As previously reported, the Axl Rose-led group will return to the live stage May 30 at the Rock in Rio-Lisbon festival in Lisbon, Portugal. It will be GNR's first live appearance since a disastrous 2002 comeback tour, which was canceled with 13 dates remaining.

As for "Chinese Democracy," it is unknown when the album will be released. Bassist Tommy Stinson told Billboard.com last year that finishing touches were being applied to the set before it would be sent off for mixing.

Here is the track list for "Greatest Hits":

"Welcome to the Jungle"
"Sweet Child O' Mine"
"Patience"
"Paradise City"
"Knockin' on Heaven's Door"
"Civil War"
"You Could Be Mine"
"Don't Cry"
"November Rain"
"Live and Let Die"
"Yesterdays"
"Ain't It Fun"
"Since I Don't Have You"
"Sympathy for the Devil"
Old 02-18-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Only reason I'll be getting this is just to have a complete collection.
Old 02-18-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Normally, I would buy a GH collection to obtain a song otherwise found on a movie soundtrack, but "Sympathy For the Devil" is a weak cover.
Old 02-18-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wonderif these will be new remasters.
Old 02-18-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The rest of the world has come to terms with the fact that Chinese Democracy will never be released. Why hasn't Axl?
Old 02-18-04, 11:40 AM
Suspended

I'll pass. I'll pass on the new GNR lineup as well.
Old 02-18-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think Axl's going to sue to make sure this doesn't get out. Not that it matters. We have all this stuff. Give us some new material!
Old 02-18-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
wonderif these will be new remasters.
I don't think these tracks are old enough to really benefit from a "remaster."
Old 02-18-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Gdrlv
The rest of the world has come to terms with the fact that Chinese Democracy will never be released. Why hasn't Axl?
Because it's horrifically terrible.
Old 02-18-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I remember wondering a few months ago whether Chinese Democracy already came out, bombed and disappeared without even charting. Probably a pretty good prediction of it's actual release.
Old 02-18-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
It is amazing it went from one of the best cds ever to this.
Old 02-18-04, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pass on this too.
Old 02-19-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MJKTool
I'll pass. I'll pass on the new GNR lineup as well.

Ditto!!!

I have appetite for destruction and use your illusion 1 and 2 so
thats it til i hear something new...
Old 02-19-04, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this is hardly complete. i was actually excited too. where's "estranged"?
Old 02-19-04, 11:44 AM

I will probably get Chinese Democracy at some point, but I will consider it an Axl Rose solo album instead of a new GNR release.
Old 02-19-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"It will be GNR's first live appearance since a disastrous 2002 comeback tour, which was canceled with 13 dates remaining."

I was fortunate enough to be one of the cities he DIDN'T cancel. Of course he started 1.5 horus late. What I can tell you is this is ONE band that was retooled(i.e. new members) and actually worked. The show ****in' rocked!! I was pleasantly suprised. His vocals were right on. The band kept up to speed with every song and they sounded great. It was VERY hard for me to tell that it wasn't the original lineup. Of course I hadn't seen them since 1992 or so.

Regardless, Chinese Democracy is NOT an album. It will never be an album either unless they actually release it. By the time the get around to actually releasing it they will have successfully pissed off every remaining fan with the "It'll be out this summer." BS and the new 'demographic' won't even know who they are.
Old 02-19-04, 02:40 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'll be passing on this as well.
Old 02-19-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it had Mr. Brownstone, You're Crazy, Michelle, and Think About You, I'd snatch it up in a second. Not hits, for sure, but great album tracks that are worthy of being on a Best-of collection.

I'll pass...
Old 02-19-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
So basically what they record company is thinking is that Chinese Democracy will have no hits, Guns and Roses is washed up, and they might as well cash in now?
Old 02-19-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, I think it's more of the record company knowing the Chinese Democracy is probably never going to come out and they're trying to force GnR to fulfull their contractual obligations.
Old 03-16-04, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
Geffen Records Prevails Over Axl Rose Lawsuit

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A federal judge on Monday cleared the way for Geffen Records to release a greatest-hits album next week from the rock band Guns N' Roses over the objection of its lead singer, Axl Rose (news).

Rose sued Geffen, a unit of Universal Music Group under Vivendi Universal, seeking to prevent the best-of collection from being released, claiming he was not consulted on the choice or remixing of material for the album.

He was joined as a plaintiff in the suit, filed last Friday, by two band members from the original lineup -- guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan (news) -- even though their rights to the Guns N' Roses name was signed over to Rose years ago when they left the group.

But U.S. District Judge Dale Fischer denied their request for a temporary restraining order, allowing Geffen to issue the album as planned next Tuesday. A hearing on a motion for a preliminary injunction was set for next month.

"Their lawsuit is meritless," Universal Music spokesman Peter LoFrumento said. "Fortunately, since the court has denied their application for a temporary restraining order, the album will be released as scheduled on March 23."

According to the lawsuit, Rose objected to the selection of songs for the compilation album, the timing of its release, the album's artwork and the re-mastering of the original tapes.

The album features 14 tracks in all and eight of Guns N' Roses' hit singles, including "Welcome to the Jungle, "Paradise City" and "Sweet Child O' Mine" from the mega-selling 1987 album "Appetite for Destruction."

The group's last studio album, "The Spaghetti Incident?," was issued in 1993. A 2002 MTV appearance by a reconstituted Guns N' Roses, with Rose as the lone member from the band's heyday, helped spark interest in the group's new lineup, but a subsequent U.S. tour was cut short.

The suit, which accuses Geffen of trademark infringement and breach of contract, says the label is barred under its contract with Guns N' Roses from altering its master recordings without the band's permission.

A statement from Rose's manager added that the greatest-hits set "will hinder the release of the band's long-awaited new studio album, 'Chinese Democracy."'

Geffen officials had no further comment on the dispute. But a source familiar with the situation said the label has been waiting seven years for Rose to deliver "Chinese Democracy" and has poured $13 million into production of that album after repeated promises that he was about to finish the project.

"Every year there's been a new reason why Axl is not done with the record," the source told Reuters, adding that Geffen went ahead with the greatest-hits package only because Rose failed to come through with "Chinese Democracy." "Had he delivered this record like he promised seven years ago, this would not be happening right now."

A representative for Rose was not immediately available for comment

[YahooNews]
Old 03-16-04, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gdrlv
He still thinks somebody cares.

I as a musician know, the more you tinker with recording the shittier it sounds, thats basically why we'll never hear Chinese Democracy, now if Axl's dumb ass would have released it 10 years ago it might of been something, well naw probably not.

Everybody go out and buy WASP's new album on April 6th!!

And Black Label Society's album on April 20th!!

Aint it funny that Zakk (was briefly in GNR back in the day) Wylde has released 8 GREAT records since GNR's last album??
Old 03-16-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

so on the gh collection for next week, they are new masters?
Old 03-16-04, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

CD $7.99 at BestBuy next week (already that price on line)
Also Guns N Roses: Welcome To The Videos - DVD is $9.99 there
Maybe there will have a deal if you buy both

Last edited by bigjim25; 03-16-04 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-16-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Lil Guns N' Roses (the children's tribute band) will be in high school before we ever hear Chinese Democracy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.