Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Connecting my computer to my T.V.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have read that it is difficult to connect D.V.I. from computers to the tv I have (51h83) but I was wondering if it is easier to connect with S-Video? I finally talked my wife into allowing me to have the computer in the living room(thanks to having our computer library through the reciever) Now if I could just get the video into the T.V. I would be set...

I am using Windows XP and
Albatron nVIDIA GeForce FX5600XT Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...170-047&depa=0

Thanks for the help,
Shadow
Old 02-17-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I have never hooked up a DVI out on a computer to a TV/projector, so I'm not positive on this. But isn't just plugging it in and activating the input on the TV through the menu system?
Old 02-17-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by steebo777
I have never hooked up a DVI out on a computer to a TV/projector, so I'm not positive on this. But isn't just plugging it in and activating the input on the TV through the menu system?
I think the computer has a tough time locating the t.v. for plug and play...

Shadow
Old 02-17-04, 12:07 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
It can be difficult getting DVI to work with a TV. I haven't used that type of interface myself, I use VGA. But luckily, since your set uses tubes, you have some flexibility.

Is there only one particular resolution that your set requires or will it take a range of HDTV-type signals? You should set your card to a matching one of course.

In order to do that, get into the computer's video display properties and tell it not to use plug and play, tell it you are using a particular monitor. The Sony GDM-W900 is a good choice as it supports many different resolutions up through a high range.
Old 02-17-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the hdtv uses 1080i/540p would that moniter work on that type pf display? I am VERY new at this so any help is appreciated.

Shadow
Old 02-17-04, 01:14 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by shadowhawk2020
the hdtv uses 1080i/540p would that moniter work on that type pf display?
Yes.

Are you able to set resolutions such as those on your video card? You may need PowerStrip in order to set custom resolutions.

You're certainly getting into the difficult stuff quickly.
Old 02-17-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah I can tell, is there a walk through on how to use powerstrip? Or is it on the site. I have a feeling I am already over my head and getting deeper...

Shadow
Old 02-17-04, 01:52 PM
X
Administrator

I don't know if they have a tutorial or anything. I can guide you through setting an initial resolution though.

Click PowerStrip's tray icon, navigate Display profiles->Configure->Advanced timing options button->Custom resolutions button, scroll down and choose 720x480p (HDTV standard), click the Add new resolution botton, and test it out.

Of course you need to be doing this on another monitor. (If the resolution doesn't work on that monitor it will revert back to your original one.) It may say you need to reboot to accept the resolution too.

You probably should not be doing this initial setup on your RPTV, you should be using a computer monitor. For simplicity you should set your video card to not use an extended desktop, use the same resolution on both monitors. Otherwise you'll have to tell PowerStrip which output (DVI or VGA) to apply the resolution to and that's a little more complicated.

If you can't see your computer desktop correctly when you hook up to your RPTV turn it off so you don't do any damage. DVI may be more immune to any problems but let's be safe.

Come to think of it, before doing any of this, give the standard 640x480 @ 60Hz resolution a try to see if that displays on your set.
Old 02-17-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

X, I appreciate the help. Unfortunatley my dvi cable won't be here for a week or so. Is there anyway we can put this off for a week? Also, anything else I need to order to get this to work or make this easier?

SHadow
Old 02-18-04, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by shadowhawk2020
X, I appreciate the help. Unfortunatley my dvi cable won't be here for a week or so. Is there anyway we can put this off for a week? Also, anything else I need to order to get this to work or make this easier?
Maybe a six pack to take the edge off?