Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Switched to Harmony SST-659 Universal Remote

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-04, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Sony AV-2100 (I think that's the model) recently passed away. The glass on the lcd screen shattered.

That said, I wanted to move beyond a large lcd screen. I also wanted to expand my options, with less limitations.

I came across the Harmony remote (harmonyremote.com). I received the remote from an authorized dealer for about $132 (32 more than I paid for the Sony 3 years ago; and about $32 more than I wanted to spend).

The remote uses the internet to download/configure the remote. The first attempt took about 30 minutes, not bad. However, additional tweaking to get the remote working at near optimal level took about 3.5 hours.

I'll update this thread with my experience over time. So far, my reaction is positive. I enjoy the hard buttons, the remote isn't hard to learn, and the internet database has all my remotes (even though this has the option of learning). That said, I do have a few negatives to add. The setup takes too long (downloading (!!!!!)and reconfiguring when compared to the AV-2100). Also, the small display screen has many options (may of which I deleted) and it can be overwhelming and impossible to figure out the exact button because the screen doesn't display the entire button name (if long; for example PIPVOLUME+ for picture in picture volume up may be displayed as PIPVOLUM).

Final conclusions: This has the ability to kick that old sony remote's behind!!!

My components
TIVO - 14 hour
Sony 32in Trinitron (KV-32s66)
Onkyo tx-sr800
Norcent DVD player (DP-300)
Pioneer CD changer (about 10 years old!)
scientific atlantic explorer 2100
Old 02-17-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Where did you get this? This is a great remote, but $200 is a little steep for me, $132 is a great price.
Old 02-17-04, 11:33 AM

I bought it at http://www.provantage.com. www.surfremoteremotecontrol.com also has it for a similar price.

For both, you need to click on "best quote" and they'll email the lower price.

Both stores are authorized deals, and your warranty is only covered when you purchase from an authorized dealer.

Also, one thing I failed to note before is that the long words that were hard to follow can be modified. So, going with the previous example, I changed PIPvolume+ to PIPvol+ (or something like that). These changes made it easier for me to use the remote. Also, I've noticed that I haven't been able to change the input on my tv in the macros (or activities as they call it). I emailed customer service for help. I'm guessing I'll have to tweak the settings a bit more.

I'm still a happy camper so far.
Old 02-17-04, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Cusm
Where did you get this? This is a great remote, but $200 is a little steep for me, $132 is a great price.
Abe's of Maine has it for $119.99 plus $12.00 (UPS ground) shipping.

TheNerds has it for $120.25 plus $9.99 (UPS or FedEx, their choice) shipping.
Old 02-17-04, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by Dah-Dee
Abe's of Maine has it for $119.99 plus $12.00 (UPS ground) shipping.

TheNerds has it for $120.25 plus $9.99 (UPS or FedEx, their choice) shipping.
Beware, I don't think those are authorized retailers (thus the warranty is nonexistant).

Here's a list of their authorized dealers:
http://www.harmonyremote.com/dealers.htm
Old 02-18-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Is Harmony the one that uses a little different system in selecting which component you want to control?

You typically if you want to control the DVD you 1st press DVD then play, or whatever. Then if you want to control your receiver, you have to press receiver then volume or whatever.

Is Harmony the one that has like "movie" mode, where then basic functions of the DVD, Receiver both work at the same time?

My wife hates our older All for One remote. Been thinking of switching...
Old 02-18-04, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by Sdallnct
Is Harmony the one that uses a little different system in selecting which component you want to control?
If I'm understanding the question correctly, you're referring to macros. There are all kinds of remotes that will allow macros - I'd assume the Harmony is one of them.

I have the mx-500, and have set up macros for all my activities
For example, I hold the DVD button and it:
- turns on the TV (if it's not already on)
- turns on the DVD player (if it's not already on)
- turns on the receiver (if it's not already on)
- changes the TV to the correct input
- changes the TV to the proper "stretch" mode for DVD (not stretched)
- changes the receiver to the correct input
- sets the "control" to DVD functions so that the next button you push controls the DVD player

I also have macros for:
- High Def TV
- Standard Def TV
- radio
- CD
- Camcorder
- VCR

If you're looking for a universal, do some reading. The mx-500 is probably the most popular remote out there. Check out Remote Central for lots of great reviews and forums on remotes.
Old 02-18-04, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally posted by shelland
If I'm understanding the question correctly, you're referring to macros. There are all kinds of remotes that will allow macros - I'd assume the Harmony is one of them.

I have the mx-500, and have set up macros for all my activities
For example, I hold the DVD button and it:
- turns on the TV (if it's not already on)
- turns on the DVD player (if it's not already on)
- turns on the receiver (if it's not already on)
- changes the TV to the correct input
- changes the TV to the proper "stretch" mode for DVD (not stretched)
- changes the receiver to the correct input
- sets the "control" to DVD functions so that the next button you push controls the DVD player

I also have macros for:
- High Def TV
- Standard Def TV
- radio
- CD
- Camcorder
- VCR

If you're looking for a universal, do some reading. The mx-500 is probably the most popular remote out there. Check out Remote Central for lots of great reviews and forums on remotes.
No, not Macros. My All for One has them and that is fine.

I went to Remote Central. It is the Harmony that I was thinking about. Here is the basic description of what I was trying to ask. Sounds interesting and kind of cool:

"Look at any number of standard universal remote controls and you’re likely to note one similarity: a cluster of buttons at the top, each labelled with a different component type. “TV”, “VCR”, “DVD”, “DSS”... anyone who’s ever used a remote will be familiar with the device-based control concept, where you hit the button corresponding to the device you want to use, do whatever needs to be done, and then press a different button to switch to the next component.

This approach may be the overwhelming industry standard, appearing on practically every remote control ever designed, but that doesn’t mean it’s the only way to operate your home theater – or even the best way. If you’re tired of the whole device surfing routine and are looking for something a little different... even possibly better... you’ll want to take a look at a more innovative control idea: activities.

What you need, when you need it.
Activities are logical, intuitive and efficient. Imagine the typical steps needed to watch a DVD movie: power everything on, change the television input and screen mode, set audio input and decoding format, dim the lights, then finally start the movie playing. On a typical remote you’d need to jump around to 3 or 4 devices before the task is completed. But with an activity-based remote, you’d simply press the “Watch a Movie” button, sit back, and relax.

This sounds a lot like macros, right? In fact macros are a critical aspect of the activity concept – but there’s also much more.

For example, once in the “Watch a Movie” activity, a good activity-based remote won’t besiege you with an abundance of utterly useless commands that you’ve never used and likely never will. Activity-based remotes instead provide the most logical and oft-used controls for each device involved in that activity. Operate the receiver’s volume and DSP modes, the DVD’s transport and menu controls, the TV’s picture and screen modes, even your lighting system, without all that tedious device hopping".

http://www.remotecentral.com/sst659/index.html
Old 02-19-04, 12:16 PM

My wife has a hard time with my gadgets (one of the reasons why I like universals). I showed her how to use the Harmony remote in about 10 sections (I pointed to the 3 activity buttons). I left her alone with the remote for the day. I came back to find that she stored all the factory remotes and was using the harmony exclusively with no problems. It's very simple to use.

I believe that the Mx-500 can do everything that the harmony can in terms of "activities" or macros. But the harmony is more explicit with your choice (e.g., push the "watch a movie" button on the harmony vs. M1 button on the mx-500. Mx-500 users please correct me if I am wrong).

Beyond that, the harmony can do somethings the mx-500 cannot do. And I am sure the opposite is true as well. In the end, the harmony was the best remote for me, but that doesn't mean for everyone. After all, we all have different preferences and equipment.
Old 02-19-04, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The MX operates like the description above if set up that way. See Shelland's post. One button starts a macro that activates all power/input/setting commands for the labeled activity. And then the remote is in your custom state for that activity.

The key is the top 10 fully-assignable buttons with lcd labels. These set up *ten* 'activity' modes when you hit the large 'Main' button. Plus, each activity mode then has 2 pages of those 10 custom-labeled buttons, in addition to the 'hard' buttons. I use the first page for 'extended' remote functions, and the second for audio modes.

Haven't tried a Harmony but functionally it seems to be similar to the MX500.
Old 02-24-04, 11:59 AM

Update:

I've had the controller for a while now and I have a few additional remarks.

Downloading the codes (vs. learning - which this controller is capable of) has positives and negatives. It is comforting to know that the codes are backed up and stored in my "online profile" and if something goes wrong. However, it takes 5 minutes to sync the remote every time, no matter how minor the changes were. It took me over an hour total to get my TV to display the proper input (no help from harmony's online customer service - even though I've only heard positives about their service). Interestingly I still need to "tweak" my remote settings a bit. Here, the online interface helps immensely.

The remote is extremely easy to use. It fits comfortably in my hand, and the buttons are easily located. I have no complaints.

The TV schedule feature (the remote downloads television listings) is nice (although I bet many would say unnecessary). I can "surf" my remote for things to watch instead of looking at tivo's guide menu. However, I wished that the remote would auto tune to a show if that show doesn't occur until later (if I didn't want to go through my tivo). Instead, the remote will turn to that channel (if you select that show) immediately.

Again, I'm very happy with this remote. I have had no problems or complaints except for the minor grip about the internet transfer speed via USB (the bottle neck isn't your internet speed for I have a 3mb cable connection!). This remote is light years more advanced than my previous remote, the Sony remote commander.
Old 02-25-04, 07:02 AM

Sounds like a nice remote, but is it really worth over $100?. I've typically bought the One For All remotes in the past and have never spent over $50 for a remote. The last remote I purchased was a Cinema7, which works on everything except my DirecTivo. My wife would probably have a fit if I spent that much for a remote control.
Old 02-25-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a Cinema 7. (Actually, still have *2* gathering dust!) Once I set up an MX-500, I never looked back. It goes way beyond the 7. I can actually retire my original remotes for good now. And the macros and labeled buttons makeit far easier to use than the 7. Well worth the price (just over $100), and the Ms. likes it for the ease of use.

Of course, now the Harmony sounds interesting!
Old 02-25-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been eyeing this for some time and just ordered if from Provantage.
Old 02-26-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How cool is this thing???

A few minutes of monkeying with it and it's switching all my stuff on and off like mad! It hasn't quite figured out that my vcr needs to be on to watch TV yet but that's cool. Besides, the whole system will hopefully change this weekend if I can get the HDTV I'm eyeing. But still, what a neat device.
Old 02-27-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have an MX-500 that I am too lazy to program. I've had the thing for about a year.

I suck.