Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

This Forum Needs a Modest Mouse Thread

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-04, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Hmmmm... I know there's some fans on here...

"Good News for People Who Like Bad News" will be coming out in April. But I'm being teased with the "Float On" single. Did anyone get it? And next month is the re-release of The Moon and Antarctica, with some extra songs 'n stuff.

I did a naughty thing, and downloaded track 1 and 3 from 'Good News'.

They were very cool on Last Call the other night. http://homepage.mac.com/jcafaro/mode...mmoncarson.mov

Is there even a chance of the new album being dissapointing? I mean, the worst of Modest Mouse can still be the best of current rock.

Has anyone been to their concerts?

Discuss, damnit.
Old 02-16-04, 02:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: This Forum Needs a Modest Mouse Thread

Originally posted by troystiffler

Is there even a chance of the new album being dissapointing? I mean, the worst of Modest Mouse can still be the best of current rock.

Has anyone been to their concerts?

Discuss, damnit.
I was just thinking this forum needed a Modest Mouse thread! I've seen MM about 6 different times and they kicked ass every time. Isaac Brock is a demented genius who'd probably make more focused music if he laid off the bottle a bit. I mean nearly every time Ive seen them he's completely s***-faced by the end of the show. As for any chance of the new release being disappointing, I was a little underwhelmed with their last album but Lonesome Crowded West is one of my favorite cd's in my collection so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. btw, just wanna give a big to the upcoming Pixies reunion.
Old 02-16-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I didn't get a chance to see them when they came through St. Louis last fall - I heard it was an interesting show.

I own:

Everywhere and His Nasty Parlour Tricks
The Moon and Antarctica
This is a Long Drive for Someone w/ Nothing to Think About

I love all three albums and I was curious when their next one will be released - thanks for the info. I've even turned my wife into a fan.
Old 02-16-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by B.A.hist
This is a Long Drive for Someone w/ Nothing to Think About
With their level of talent, it isn't possible to pick a favorite. But I regard 'Long Drive' as their best.

You need to get:

Building Nothing out of Something
The Fruit that Ate Itself
Ugly Casanova (Isacc's short-lived little side project; but still an incredible album)
Lonesome Crowded West
Interstate 8 (just for Edit the Sad Parts...the rest are on 'Building...')

I saw them in Tucson last fall. The show was great. Isaac is such a cool, charasmatic guy. Their entire set was based on Lonesome Crowded West and The Moon and Antarctica. And they played one or two new songs. So I was a little dissapointed that they didn't play a wide range.

Winfred E Eye and Helio Sequence opened that evening. I've seen Helio Sequence play before, and they're great. But Winfred E Eye really blew me away. I had never heard them before. Their music has such a beautiful, rustic, sad tone.
Old 02-16-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by troystiffler
With their level of talent, it isn't possible to pick a favorite. But I regard 'Long Drive' as their best.

You need to get:

Building Nothing out of Something
The Fruit that Ate Itself
Ugly Casanova (Isacc's short-lived little side project; but still an incredible album)
Lonesome Crowded West
Interstate 8 (just for Edit the Sad Parts...the rest are on 'Building...')

I saw them in Tucson last fall. The show was great. Isaac is such a cool, charasmatic guy. Their entire set was based on Lonesome Crowded West and The Moon and Antarctica. And they played one or two new songs. So I was a little dissapointed that they didn't play a wide range.

Winfred E Eye and Helio Sequence opened that evening. I've seen Helio Sequence play before, and they're great. But Winfred E Eye really blew me away. I had never heard them before. Their music has such a beautiful, rustic, sad tone.
I just stopped in BB after lunch and checked to see if they had anything different, but all that they had in stock was 'Everywhere...' and 'The Moon and Antarctica'. I was kind of disappointed, but I did pick up Idlewild's 'The Remote Part' and Grandaddy's 'Sumday'.
Old 02-16-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was underwhelmed by The Moon and Anartica and absolutely hated the Everywhere and His Nasty Parlour Tricks EP, but they were really good when I saw them in Norfolk last July. They opened with whatever song they played on Carson Daly -good- and I've heard "Float On" -very good- so I'm hoping this next one is solid. I'm a Lonesome Crowded West kinda guy.
Old 02-16-04, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The next one is atrocious. So terrible. I was kinda stunned by it.
Old 02-16-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did you ever like them, though? Or is this one, quite apart from any prior taste, just terrible?
Old 02-16-04, 04:24 PM

Does anyone know what's up with this rape incident? I really like Modest Mouse music, but I would rather not support a rapist.
Old 02-16-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by zak52
Does anyone know what's up with this rape incident? I really like Modest Mouse music, but I would rather not support a rapist.
It is true: Isaac raped me. It was really dark, and completely my fault for not saying anything.

I'd imagine it was just a product of a drunk kid, and a girl (or confused young man) with hurt feelings. Or I guess it could just be another fabricated story from Isaac.

Oh, and if you'd like to visit [what is possibly] the WORST forum on the internet, see http://www.modestmousemusic.com/ It's an amusing place to visit. But I don't think that there's one intelligent comment on the whole board.
Old 02-17-04, 07:13 AM

Greatest song title: 'Talking shit about a pretty sunset'
Old 02-17-04, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by fallow
Did you ever like them, though? Or is this one, quite apart from any prior taste, just terrible?
I did like them. Long Drive came out when I had just started college, and that was all I listened to for a year or two (along with Lonesome Crowded). But regardless, the new one really is terrible. I played it for a couple friends who are still way into them this weekend, and neither of them could believe how bad it was. He'll never make another good record.
Old 02-17-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it's anything like the last two, I'll be inclined to agree with you.
Old 03-21-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bump.

The Moon and Antarctica re-release came out last week with four new BBC recordings. They're alright. The Custom Concern track was a treat.

And the new album comes out two weeks from Tuesday.

30sec clips are up at http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/...67942&mname=CD

I'm happy with the tracks! Can't wait to hear the full version. Devil's Workday sounds very cool.
Old 03-21-04, 11:40 PM

They should have just turned the new album into an EP. Here's what I found to be worthwhile:

The Ocean Breathes Salty
I've Got It All (Most)
Blame it on the Tetons
Black Cadillacs
The Good Times Are Killing Me

The rest were more or less unbearable.
Old 03-22-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love Lonesome Crowded West but was also kind of ehhh about Everything after I picked it up...
Old 03-22-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by B.A.
I just stopped in BB after lunch and checked to see if they had anything different, but all that they had in stock was 'Everywhere...' and 'The Moon and Antarctica'. I was kind of disappointed, but I did pick up Idlewild's 'The Remote Part' and Grandaddy's 'Sumday'.
... you probably won't be finding much in major chains. you're going to have to go online to get 'em, or a local/indie music store. www.updirect.com has a few MM titles.
Old 03-22-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mike1978
They should have just turned the new album into an EP. Here's what I found to be worthwhile:

The Ocean Breathes Salty
I've Got It All (Most)
Blame it on the Tetons
Black Cadillacs
The Good Times Are Killing Me

The rest were more or less unbearable.
i've heard it now, as well, and i wouldn't go so far as to say "unbearable"... but it's definitely a mixed bag. nearly 20 minutes shorter than their previous albums, and alot of filler, it seems. it lacks the atmosphere and spunk of all their previous efforts. oh well. their live show is where it's at.
Old 03-25-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The [very cool] video for Float On is located at http://www.modestmousebootlegs.com/

For anyone who watches it - what do you think? I really liked it. But I'm a sucker for anything-Modest-Mouse.
Old 03-26-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i like the video... but it's always a little 'strange' imo, to see (once) indie bands in their first video. nonetheless, artistically, it's great!
Old 03-26-04, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Isaac Brock + 19th Century Civil War Mustache = teh coolness

I love how irrelevant everything is. I mean, if you asked Isaac what is going on in the video, he'd probably say something like "I don't know. We just had an idea and went with it". Sorta' like my favorite filmmakers.
Old 04-08-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

*sniff, sniff* I love these guys. After salivating over this for a year and a half (a new intheworks album was mentioned while Ugly Casanova was touring), it's FINALLY here. I like it; I love it. Just reading the lyrics get me all psyched up.

It's a beautiful thing. And they haven't lost a bit of integrity. At no point have they changed their established to appeal to the lowest common denominator. So if any of you pretentious punks cite "sell outs", be prepared to be smacked; possibly with the claw of a hammer. Ugh, just reading the Modestmousemusic.Com Forum is irritating.

Upon my first listen, Ocean Breaths Salty, The Devil's Work Day, and One Chance really stood out. The only track that doesn't stand out for me is Dance Hall. But it's still not skippable.

I think Good News is just as good as the previous albums.

Anyone else pick it up? If you didn't, it's only $7.99 at Best Buy this week. Highly recommended.
Old 04-09-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its on sale a lot of places this week. I got it on Tuesday and have listed to it through about 5 times or so. None of the songs really come out and grab you like some of the tracks on previous albums did. My first listen I wasn't all that thrilled with it, but it definitely grows on you after a while. A couple of the songs where he uses an unusually deep voice are kind of awkward, but I wouldn't call anything on it even close to "unbearable". While it might not stack up to the quality of some of their previous works, I still think its a worthy addition to their catalog. I'm sure I'll come to appreciate it even more after continued listening.
Old 04-09-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jeraden
Its on sale a lot of places this week. I got it on Tuesday and have listed to it through about 5 times or so. None of the songs really come out and grab you like some of the tracks on previous albums did. My first listen I wasn't all that thrilled with it, but it definitely grows on you after a while. A couple of the songs where he uses an unusually deep voice are kind of awkward, but I wouldn't call anything on it even close to "unbearable". While it might not stack up to the quality of some of their previous works, I still think its a worthy addition to their catalog. I'm sure I'll come to appreciate it even more after continued listening.
after writing what i did above, i now totally feel the same way. there really isn't anything on the album that i dislike. it's very produced, and some vocals are odd, but it's a great album. i'd say 4/5.
Old 04-09-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's a very cool Isaac Brock interview over at The Onion AV Club. I keep loving this guy more and more.

http://www.theonionavclub.com/featur...php?issue=4014

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.