Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Does the fact that something better than DVDs is around the corner worry you?

Old 02-13-04, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD are targeted for launch in by late 2005 or early 2006.

All the money and effort I've put into my collection, for some reason this news just worries me. I know my current DVDs will play on the same players, but just knowing that what I have is inferior to another version of the movie that will be out there will bug me.

Or am I just being ridiculous?
Old 02-13-04, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
There will always be something better on the horizon. For me, there's no way I will be able to afford HD until the prices come way down. I think it'll take a long time for the general public to accept the new format .. so I'll not worry about it for many years.

Inferior doesn't mean it's a bad version. DVD, when done right, is pretty good. Improvments can only be minute, at best, in an already great transfer job from a pristine print.

Plus not everything currently on DVD will be ported to the next format right away (or if at all).

Don't worry... just enjoy.

Last edited by TomOpus; 02-13-04 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-13-04, 07:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As long as the keep the backward compatibility (which considering the number of things that are in this size format now it will probably be awhile before someone changes that) I'm not too worried about it.
Old 02-13-04, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

a little bit. but at this point i think it'll be a while before i start my collection over
Old 02-13-04, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope, it's just a continuous cycle since there will always be something new down the road. I probably won't replace as many DVD's with HD-DVD as I did laserdiscs/DVD's since there won't be such a HUGE difference in convenience or quality to warrant it, but I certainly will upgrade my true faves.
Old 02-13-04, 08:06 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The fact that a thread like this has been started about once every month since I first came to this forum does.
Old 02-13-04, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simple answer...no.
Old 02-13-04, 08:20 AM

SACD and DVD-A where suppose to be revolutionary...but finally, will they survive??

The improvement from VHS to DVD was a major one!!

But will the step from actual DVD to Blu-Ray or HD-DVD will be as important and improving??

I don't think so...until the HD format is the new standard, that most household have a HD set, all TV channel are broardcast in HD and in DD5.1, the actual form of the DVD will be the most popular format...

Maybe some blu-ray player and some movies will be released on that new format for the elite or enthusiast (like us? )...

...but for the comon peoples, it will probably take a while before the DVD format is completely replaced!...

But this is just my 2¢...
Old 02-13-04, 08:25 AM

Rather than worry about a newer format, I hope they come up with a way of storing much more data on a disc. Even Blue Ray isn't enough to please me. What I hope they come up with is a way of copying all my DVDs (about 1,000 so far) to just 1 disc. In other words, I can live with the quality regular DVD offers me, I just want them to reduce the physical size of my collection so all my titles can reside on just 1 disc. When they invent this, then I'll be interested. Until then, I don't even care about HDTV DVD, because only new shows will be produced on this format, and since I'm only interested in older shows (and very little difference will actually show up when older shows are transferred to HDTV DVD), HDTV is not for me...I want storage, not better quality.

CP
Old 02-13-04, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You also have to remember that every new format doesn't take off. People have taken to dvd's so much due to the low price (dvd's & players are as cheap if not cheaper than there vhs counterparts now) so why not upgrade? I doubt people will be as quick to replace 100's of dvd's with 100's of hd dvd's or whatever is next. DVD's have a good long life left.
Old 02-13-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just because something is a lot better does not mean it will kill a format stamped in the head of most common folks.

LD, SVHS, and HD-VHS did not kill VHS

DVD-A and SACD did not kill ACD

HD-TV did not kill TV

Likewise, HD-DVD will not kill DVD.

Of course, HD-DVD won’t be the next “LD” to THAT extreme, but it will be a while before DVD can ever be rooted out. Even VHS is not completely rooted out yet. So don’t hold your breath.

Basically, it’ll be a good while before we can say “when will <insert random title> will come out on DVD”, it will be a good while before we have $50 region free HD-DVD players along with cheap HD-DVDRs discs, affordable HD-DVDR drives, cracked encryption for HD-DVDR discs, and HD-DVDRs for under $20.
Old 02-13-04, 09:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I doubt people will be as quick to replace 100's of dvd's with 100's of hd dvd's or whatever is next.
On the flip side though hopefully there will be some good deals to be found as the studios try to get people to buy into the new format
Old 02-13-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I sincerely doubt that HD-DVD will replace DVD anytime soon. I have a collection of over 400 titles, but that's not the reason I think this way. DVD took off the way it did because it offered the average consumer something a lot better than VHS, and it was tangible difference. HD-DVD simply will not offer that big a difference to the average consumer. I think whenever it'll launch it'll moderately succeed, but it won't do much better than LD.
Old 02-13-04, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Absolutely not.

LD never took over VHS, and it wasn't even backwards compatible.

I will not be upgrading for SEVERAL years at this point. Didn't upgrade to DVD until 2001, and never upgraded to LD from VHS, so patience I have.
Old 02-13-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, it does bother me. I wish my current collection would be the best quality format for at least 10 more years. (Though I guess D-VHS really is now anyway.) But, I do believe in progress.

I'm sure one day I'll sell off my DVDs for HD-DVD. However, it won't be anytime soon. HD-DVDs will have to be about as cheap as regular DVDs which means something like Columbia House will have to carry them at the current offers before I jump into it all. Also, I wouldn't pay more than $500 for an HD-DVD player.
Old 02-13-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know my current DVDs will play on the same players, but just knowing that what I have is inferior to another version of the movie that will be out there will bug me.
In my opinion, the experience of watching DVDs will (almost) always be inferior to the experience of watching a movie in theaters, so, no, it doesn't bother me that there may at some point soon be something else also better.
Old 02-13-04, 09:59 AM

I was one of the early adopters of DVD and the format is absolutely incredible. As an HD TV owner I will probably upgrade to the new player (provided the cost is reasonable, when DVD players first came out they were ~$700) but only a few of my DVD's will get the upgrade (ie. LOTR, Matrix, etc.). But I see no reason whatsoever to upgrade an entire collection when it's already perfect.

doc
Old 02-13-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
no.

I've been through it with plenty of formats already. A new format will not change my feelings on buying dvd's. I still play my LD's even though they are a dead format I still enjoy it for what it is.
Old 02-13-04, 11:10 AM

Well let me see, I started with a Black and White TV powered by glass tubes, then I upgraded into the color TV's, after that I upgraded to a outside antenae, then had to upgrade to one with a remote Control. Next came the Big Screen upgrade. Then recording devices came and I got a great Beta machine, after that I had to upgrade to VHS, then came an upgrade to the DVD's. You think I'm worried about the next upgrade??? Not at all, in a few short years I'll have as many of whats around the corner as anybody else. After all thats why we buy houses with Basements and attics, to put all our old Fads and Hobbies. See ya in the future.
Old 02-13-04, 11:22 AM
Retired

No, because as I've said before, I doubt the new formats will catch on.

CDs have been around for over 20 years, better formats have been introduced (like DVD Audio and SA-CD) and they haven't even made a dent.

The mass market has adopted DVD. They're not going to rebuy their collection just for better AV quality. DVDs caught because they offered much more over VHS than just A/V quality, with stuff like extras, instant scene access, not having to be rewound etc.

This is much the same reason that CDs caught on.

Anything to rival CDs and DVDs will likely not achieve more than niche market status anytime soon.

It will take something that comes along offering much more than just better a/v quality.
Old 02-13-04, 11:37 AM
Cool New Member

A big difference between HD-DVD taking over DVDs versus how DVDs took over LDs is that you have to get a whole new (and expensive) TV to see the difference, whereas when DVDs first came out, consumers didn't have to invest as much money to upgrade. I think that inevitably everyone will move to HDTV and HD-DVDs, but it's not going to be by the end of 2005 or 2006. Also, it's going to take a while for the studios to put everything out on HD-DVD, just like it took them a couple years to get pretty sizable amounts of titles out on DVD. Don't fret, you still have a couple years to get plenty of enjoyment out of your DVD collection.
Old 02-13-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just wait for the Columbia House HD-DVD Club.
Old 02-13-04, 12:01 PM
Cool New Member

Most people in this thread do not worry about new comers.

But, I definitely worry about HD-DVD. During spending a lot of money on regular dvds, I have been hooked up by this good quality medium. I am craving better better quality, and I become techno savvy person.

Probably, after watching real good quality of HD-DVD, my mind will struggle between regular dvd and hd-dvd upgrade, even though we deny this right now...
Old 02-13-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts
I'm not worried because it will take years before they'll have all the titles that are on DVD now. Plus, I'm happy with the picture DVD offers so I'm not anxious to upgrade. I can live with DVD for the next 20 years and be happy.
Old 02-13-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now that I have an HDTV, I can say that having an HD-DVD player would be high on my list after the price falls a little bit. The clearity makes watching more even more fun than before. I can see myself buying only HD-DVDs when they hit the market and only renting DVDs. If the price was to high for the HD-DVDs, then I would only buying the ones that would get multi-viewing (Star Wars, Terminator 2, Indiana Jones - guy flicks).

But, a really well done DVD can look awesome. After watching Monster Inc., I was wanting all my movies to look like that on HDTV. But, there are only few DVDs (live action or animated) that look that awesome.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.