Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hmm, Check this out regarding the Pink Panther boxset...

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-12-04, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been really looking forward to getting the Peter Sellers Pink Panther Box set in April but I came across something that kind of dampened my spirits.

From a source quoted on www.darkhorizons.com talking about the new Steve Martin Pink Panther flick:

"The entire series--all nine installments--will be released on DVD in the Spring of 2005 with a trailer for the new film. The box set of the five Peter Sellers classics will be off the market at that point. Fans should hold onto their Region 2 DVD box as it contains a number of extras that could not be cleared for copyright in the Region 1 box coming this April".

Now, I don't care about owning all 9 of them, I only want the Peter Sellers films. What gets me is the last sentence. Once again, another region gets a better disk.

Does anyone know what will be missing from the R1 version?
Old 02-12-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope...but it sure feels good to be in R2 once in a while
Seems i can now forego my plans to upgrade to black latex
Old 02-12-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I almost was going to purchase the R2 set but held off when I heard we were soon getting an R1 version. Now I wonder if I should cancel my R1 preorder? I would love to know what extras are missing from the R1 release to help me make up my mind.
Old 02-12-04, 12:50 PM
Cool New Member

Location: a place that is just as real, but not as brightly lit
I'd guess they couldn't get the rights to the documentaries on the R2 set. I bet they make replacements for them, anyway (still have a whole year to work on it). Not that I'd grab the R2 set unless absolutely necessary, due to the whole PAL speed-up thing.

Last edited by tripps; 02-12-04 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-12-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

anyone know if this box will have newly remastered versions of the films... also, will they make the films available seperately? i'm only interested in the first film, to be honest.
Old 02-12-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tripps
I'd guess they couldn't get the rights to the documentaries on the R2 set. I bet they make replacements for them, anyway (still have a whole year to work on it). Not that I'd grab the R2 set unless absolutely necessary, due to the whole PAL speed-up thing.
They don't have a full year for the set that comes out this April, though. I could care less about having Son of Pink Panther (blecchhh) nor do I like the Alan Arkin version of the character. I had my heart set on the upcoming set.
Old 02-13-04, 06:18 AM

The R2 UK set is now unavailable in stores as it's release was only on sale for a limited period of time.

It is entirely possible you might still get it online somewhere.
Old 02-13-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

for speculating purposes, here's a list of the extras from the R2 (and R4) set:

"The Pink Panther Story" -documentary (29min)
"That's Panthertainment" -documentary (47min)
"The Unknown Peter Sellers" -documentary (52min)
The Commercial Peter Sellers:
- 3 Barclays Bank commercials
- 3 TWA commercials
- Making Of TWA commercial
"Behind the Feline: Cartoon Phenomenon" –featurette (11min)
Six of the best Pink Panther cartoons:
- The Pink Phink (1964 Academy Award Winner, Short subject (Cartoon))
- Pink, Plunk, Plink
- Sink Pink
- Dial "P" For Pink
- Pickled Pink
- The Inspector, The Great DeGaulle Stone Operation
Shots in the Dark - photo gallery

----

I'd say the commercials are a possibility, and I'd say the Unknown Peter Sellers is the most likely one (I think). [Unknown Peter Sellers is already on DVD in this country, from Fox Lorber.]
Old 02-25-05, 10:31 AM

Have there been any updates on this at all? Spring 2005 is almost here and I'm starting to see trailers for the new Steve Martin one in the theatres
Old 08-03-05, 04:10 PM

Whatever happened to the rumored Spring 2005 of the individual Pink Panther titles on DVD? Amazon.com is now showing the release date to be January 2010!
Old 08-03-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts
steve martin version got pushed to next year(feb) and the box set got put on hold.
release date tbd.
Old 08-03-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gcbma
Whatever happened to the rumored Spring 2005 of the individual Pink Panther titles on DVD? Amazon.com is now showing the release date to be January 2010!
Maybe the rumor was spring, but the official announcement was August. But then the movie got pushed back, and the individual releases -- including an updated transfer on 'Return of the Pink Panther' -- were postponed. It's safe to assume that they'll be out when the movie comes out.

When Amazon puts dates like that up, they're just placeholders, not actual announced dates.
Old 08-03-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

check these out

LOTS of "Pink Panther" on DVD this year!

Pink Panther Cartoon Collection DELAYED
Old 08-03-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts
cameron, did you notice the dates on that thread?

the delay was posted after that thread and no one edited that thread to note the delay.

plus the date was 7-26, that was last week.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa104.html#pink2
Old 08-04-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What the difference in this new set and the previous Pink Panther collection box? Is it just additionals extras or new transfers/remasters?
Old 08-04-05, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whotony
cameron, did you notice the dates on that thread?
yah, sorry not to much info, but here is the breakdown.

the steve martin movie was scheduled to open 08.05.05 (tommorow) It tested poorly, and will now be released later (February it looks like) Many studios dump problem titles in this month, everyone has shot the wad for Oscar Season, and the popcorn flicks aren't heavy for a few more months...when this happens you will see a new announcement for the live action movies, and the cartoons sets.
Old 08-04-05, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by taa455
What the difference in this new set and the previous Pink Panther collection box? Is it just additionals extras or new transfers/remasters?
This "new set" -- which, I should point out, has never been officially announced -- would, in theory, come with 'Inspector Closeau' (1968, Arkin instead of Sellers), 'The Return of the Pink Panther', 'Son of the Pink Panther', in addition to all the previously released 'Panther' titles. [I can't remember if the previous box had both 'Trail' and 'Curse' but, if not, they're both in the new one too.]

"Return" would have a new transfer, which is being released seperately anyway. I tend to think this box was never announced because it was cancelled; I don't think the smaller box sold all that well, considering that it's been getting consistently cheaper and cheaper in the sales. They're all getting seperate releases when the new one comes out anyway.
Old 08-05-05, 12:45 AM

I'm looking forward to the single releases, simply because I want only the first two in the series; the later ones with the eye-twitching, insane boss always annoyed me. I hate these releases where studios force consumers to buy everything or nothing (e.g., Pink Panther, Indiana Jones, etc.). Warner Home Video typically does a much better job of packaging: compare Warner's Marx Bros. set to the one from Universal. Warner's contains individual DVD's (with commentaries on the good ones!) available in a box set if you prefer, whereas Universal released theirs all in a single foldout digipack (with no commentaries, the cheapskates). The Pink Panther Film Collection set was released similarly in single, foldout digipack, though the design and special features were better.
Old 08-05-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gcbma
I'm looking forward to the single releases, simply because I want only the first two in the series; the later ones with the eye-twitching, insane boss always annoyed me.
Is there a different edit of "Shot in the Dark" that I'm not aware of? Herbert Lom is in that, and he does the eye-twitching thing, and is insane;
Spoiler:
at the end of the movie, he kills all the murderers while trying to kill Dreyfuss

That said, Peter Sellers in 'Return of the Pink Panther' is possibly the best thing in any comedy ever. I'm looking forward to buying 'Shot in the Dark' seperately, upgrading 'Return' if it's worth it, and *maybe* buying 'Strikes Again' if the price is good (there are a few things in it I love).
Old 08-05-05, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
Is there a different edit of "Shot in the Dark" that I'm not aware of? Herbert Lom is in that, and he does the eye-twitching thing, and is insane
I think you might be right about that. In that case, I'm awaiting the new releases so that I can get...only the original "Pink Panther" film. While the current digipack is stylish, I certainly don't won't to have to pay an extra fifty bucks or so for multiple discs of the Cato and Dreyfus annoyances.
Old 08-05-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

only the first two?

and miss

does your dog....bite, and the minkey