Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Do I really need that Microsoft Extended Warranty for my Xbox?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-04, 09:36 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well do I really need that Microsoft Extended Warranty for my Xbox? Did you get it?
Old 02-11-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
No.

Waste of money.
Old 02-12-04, 12:14 AM

I bought it. Best investment I made. I've sent mine in for service twice. Two of my friends have sent their's in for service too.
Old 02-12-04, 12:50 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Xbox maybe...PS2 YES!

I have a couple Xboxs come back a month...I get 20 pople with PS2s (all with expired warrantys of course). However, some Xbox drives don't work well...anyone have a list?
Old 02-12-04, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bought the 2 year warranty and haven't had to send it since I bought it in June 2002.
Old 02-12-04, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I bought the Best Buy's extended warranty. Glad I did. The drive started acting up and not reading any discs. Took it in and they gave me a new one. Even got Clone Wars, Tetris, and an S controller, which my original system didn't have.
Old 02-12-04, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Highly recommend it for MS's service. Free Airborne Express all the way (overnight no less). Sent mine out and got it back in less than a week. Considered renewing mine even, but at this stage, it's not as big of a deal (esp. since I have a separate dvd player for emergencies ). Won't be gaming much for the next few months anyways, and my cash flow is a little better.
Old 02-12-04, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i forgot that i actually got one for the xbox from ebgames. i think the cost was negligible so i got it. otherwise, i probably wouldn't have.
Old 02-13-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I didn't get it,but then again I don't even use my Xbox.
Old 02-13-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I didn't get it and it cost me 100 bucks to get mine fixed. If it's like 10 bucks a year, I'd say get it.
Old 02-13-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Depends on how much you'll worry, and how much it costs. I've never needed to have any of my consoles repaired (including XBox, PS2, PS1, DC, SNES, GC, Genesis/Sega CD, various gameboys).
Old 02-13-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's a better choice getting the retail warranty from where you buy it. Why put up with sending it away when you can just exchange it at the store?
Old 02-13-04, 03:54 PM

I've never been a fan of extended warranties on electronics. I've owned just about every system since the 2600 and have never had a system die except after the extended warranty would have expired anyway.
Old 02-13-04, 04:03 PM

I would say that it's worth it. I had a DDE problem with my Xbox that Microsoft fixed quickly. I've heard that this is a very common problem with Xbox's. If you don't get the warranty, it costs $100 + shipping to get it fixed!
Old 02-13-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Pretty soon it will be cheaper just to buy a new one than get it fixed if you don't have the warranty.
Old 02-13-04, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by Joshua
I've heard that this is a very common problem with Xbox's.
Not true. It's a common problem with the first batches of Thomson cd drives and yes there are alot of them. I don't know of any problems with the Phillips and Samsung drives.

Ever since Thomson started their Proscan line of products to replace RCA as the top brand, anything that doesn't have the Proscan name on it seems to not get the best components.
Old 02-16-04, 10:35 AM
Retired

I never get extended warranties. If you bought these for every piece of hardware you buy (especially for things under $200) you end up spending more on the warranties than you would on replacing the one bad item you eventually get that craps out after the free warranty.
Old 02-16-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I never get extended warranties. If you bought these for every piece of hardware you buy (especially for things under $200) you end up spending more on the warranties than you would on replacing the one bad item you eventually get that craps out after the free warranty.
$30 for a 2 year guarantee vs. how much for shipping and labor? or $179 for a new one.
Old 02-16-04, 02:08 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
$30 for a 2 year guarantee vs. how much for shipping and labor? or $179 for a new one.
If you look at it that way, it makes sense.

I was looking in the context of my entire HT.

If I bought warranties for everything, it would have ran probably over $1000.

Thus, instead of buying warranties for everything, I saved that money. Nothing has broken on me yet, so it would have been wasted money. If one or two things do break down before I replace them for upgrade purposes, it will still likely set me back less than the total warranty cost for everything.

That's just the way I look at it.

Plus, my interest in gaming is waning. If one of my consoles broke down, I'd probably just shuck it in the trash, sell the games, and not buy another console from that manufacturer in the future.
Old 02-16-04, 05:14 PM

Since the switch from cartridges, four machines have become/are becoming (in)famous for defects... PSX, Dreamcast, PS2, and Xbox.

On the flip side, Saturns were built like tanks, and Game Cube seems to have little negative buzz.

This product category hardly compares to most electronics, it seems. Usually, a warranty just serves to hand pure profit to a retailer, but for consoles, it shouldn't be automatically dismissed.
Old 02-17-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mr.snowmizer
This product category hardly compares to most electronics, it seems. Usually, a warranty just serves to hand pure profit to a retailer, but for consoles, it shouldn't be automatically dismissed.
I never buy extended warranties on electronics. Not even for my $2500 TV. But... I think that CD and DVD-based consoles typically have shoddy construction, especially in the early stages of release. I think if you buy a console now, you don't have to worry about buying a warranty, because a lot of the problems have been fixed since the release date. But for those who buy consoles at or near launch, I think it's not a bad idea. I'll seriously consider buying an extended warranty on my next xbox2/PS3.
Old 02-17-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Extended Warranties are just like any other kind of insurance. In the long run, it is typically cheaper to self-insure (i.e. don't buy a warranty). But, if you want to be covered for a catastrophic loss (i.e. your HD crapping out) insurance is the only way to go.