Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

oscar question...for 2004 films

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-11-04, 01:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does the foreign language category ONLY mean in a foreign language, or a movie made by another country also?

what happened to Life is Beautiful? was it nominated for both best foreign language film AND best picture? i cannot remember.

what happens to The Passion, assuming is turns out to be incredible, can it be nominated for both best picture AND best foreign language film (even though made by an american)?
Old 02-11-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: oscar question...for 2004 films

Originally posted by BRIAN 1972
does the foreign language category ONLY mean in a foreign language, or a movie made by another country also?

what happened to Life is Beautiful? was it nominated for both best foreign language film AND best picture? i cannot remember.

what happens to The Passion, assuming is turns out to be incredible, can it be nominated for both best picture AND best foreign language film (even though made by an american)?
Well Mel was born in Australia (but I'm sure he's an American citizen by now).
Old 02-11-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is from last year's Oscar Rules about foreign language films:

http://www.oscars.org/76academyawards/rules/rule14.html

Rule Fourteen
Special Rules for The Best Foreign Language Film Award

I. DEFINITION

A foreign language film is defined, for Academy Award purposes, as a feature-length motion picture produced outside the United States of America with a predominantly non-English dialogue track.

II. ELIGIBILITY

1. The film must be first released in the country submitting the film between November 1, 2002 and September 30, 2003, and first publicly exhibited by means of 35mm or 70mm film for at least seven consecutive days in a commercial motion picture theater for the profit of the producer and exhibitor, advertised and exploited during its eligibility run in a manner considered normal and customary to the industry. The picture need not have been released in the United States.

2. The recording of the original dialogue track as well as the completed film must be predominantly in an official language of the country submitting the film except when the story mandates that an additional non-English language be predominant. Films involving subcultures that speak a non-English, non-official language may qualify if their subject matter concerns life in the submitting country. Accurate English subtitles are required.

3. The submitting country must certify that creative talent of that country exercised artistic control of the film.

4. The Academy has the right to make the final determination in questions of eligibility.
By definition, "Life is Beautiful" could be nominated for both best picture and best foreign language film because it was shot and produced in another country outside of America. The Best Picture rules only state that any film (approved by the Academy) is eligible, but only the top five nominees will be in competition for the prize. "The Passion of The Christ", while shot in another country with non-English dialogue, is produced and edited in America. Therefore (by those rules, the Academy has minor changes in qualifications each year) "The Passion..." could not be a nominee for a foreign language film.

I'm pretty sure that's why the Lord of the Rings could not have been nominated for this category - because it was financed and produced by an American studio.

As far as the results for "Life is Beautiful", it won Best Score, Best Actor, and Best Foreign Language film.

Last edited by DGibFen; 02-11-04 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-11-04, 01:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DGibFen

"The Passion of The Christ", while shot in another country with non-English dialogue, is produced and edited in America.
Was it shot in Aramaic?
Old 02-11-04, 02:01 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jayson1017
Was it shot in Aramaic?
aramaic, latin, & hebrew.

no english. only english subtitles.
Old 02-11-04, 02:11 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Re: oscar question...for 2004 films

Originally posted by DVD Josh
Well Mel was born in Australia (but I'm sure he's an American citizen by now).
He was born in the States, and moved to Australia when he was 12.

I don't think The Passion of the Christ would be eligible for Best Foreign Language film.