Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

My terrible experience with MS Xbox repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My terrible experience with MS Xbox repair

The thomson dvd drive on my xbox was having trouble reading discs, so it needed to be replaced. I called 1-800-4MY-XBOX. They said they'd replace the dvd drive for $99. I said ok. They sent me an empty airborne express box. I packed my xbox in the box, left it out on the porch, and 1 week later I get my xbox back.

I open the dvd tray, and sure enough, they replaced it with a samsung drive. that's the good news. the bad news is that they replaced my hard drive. and they didn't copy over anything from my old drive to the new one.

This really pisses me off. The reason I sent in my xbox to MS was because I wanted the dvd drive fixed, but wanted to preserve the contents of my hard drive. If I wanted a new dvd drive AND hard drive, I would have just bought a new xbox!! Are they that stupid not to realize this?! Considering a new xbox costs only $80 more than the repair, plus I get the advantage of having 2 xboxes, more cables, another controller, and the free games that come with a new xbox.

Fortuantely, I backed up most of my saves onto a 256MB USB flash drive, but I wasn't able to back up my precious DOA3 saves, DOAX saves, KOTOR saves, and custom soundtracks (that took hours to put in). I've lost hundreds of hours of time from these lost saves. I don't care about paying $99 for repair service, but I do expect a good level of service for my money.

MS Xbox repair failed me on several levels:
1.) I called & sent in my xbox for a dvd problem, not a hard drive problem.
2.) If they wanted to perform additional work, they should have ASKED ME first via email or phone.
3.) Why didn't they copy the contents of the old HD to the new one?!?!

So consider this a warning to anyone who is thinking about sending their xbox in for a repair. Personally, I feel completely ripped off.
Old 02-11-04, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did they send you back a different Xbox all together or did they actually replace both your DVD Drive and Hard Drive?

In any case, I'd bark at them hard and try to get your $99 back.

Call them and ask for a supervisor. It's worth a try.

You won't get your saves back, but you might get something for your pain.
Old 02-11-04, 10:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Wow, that sucks. I recently had the opposite happen: I sent my Xbox to be repaired for a hard drive problem, and I noticed that they replaced my DVD drive at the same time. It didn't need it, but now I can play CD-R's, so it's all good.

However, when I spoke to them on the phone they said they'd make every effort to keep my saves (I ended up losing them all). Based on your experience, it sounds like they don't even try, and just swap out the hard drive on everything they get.
Old 02-11-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 915 Likes on 675 Posts
I would call them, and raise some hell. Don't get too angry though, cause they'll just blow you off (I work in customer service...being nice helps), just kidly ask to speak with a supervisor and explain your situation. You won't get your saves, or music back, but you very well may get your money back. I would imagine that would make it all worth it.
Old 02-11-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You make a console more like a computer, you are going to have it crash like a computer. And your customers are going to feel like they are getting f--ked by a computer company.
Old 02-11-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sniper308
Did they send you back a different Xbox all together or did they actually replace both your DVD Drive and Hard Drive?

In any case, I'd bark at them hard and try to get your $99 back.

Call them and ask for a supervisor. It's worth a try.

You won't get your saves back, but you might get something for your pain.
They replaced components, but it's the same xbox. Well, at least the outside case is... I marked it so I would know. I'm going to call them and talk to a supervisor. On xbox.com, it says they make every effort to preserve the gaming history on the hard drive. Considering they didn't even copy ANY save files, it's obvious they didn't even try.
Old 02-11-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mmconhea
You make a console more like a computer, you are going to have it crash like a computer. And your customers are going to feel like they are getting f--ked by a computer company.
Every console ever created is like a computer. He didn't say his Xbox "crashed," the drive died.. this has happened since the dawn of CD based media.. Sega CD drives died, TG16 CD drives died, MANY PS and PS2 drives have died..

Old 02-11-04, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

More than likely, to save time and money, they just replaced the entire inside of your XBox instead of specific components. Its a lot faster than pulling off a cetain part and resoldering it on, hoping that nothing else is wrong. They may have replaced the DVD drive only to find that the problem is a memory bus problem, or a currupted driver file. Better to just drop in a whole new unit.

D
Old 02-11-04, 10:36 AM

Seriously, I know "all" consoles have their problems, but for the number of xboxes sold it sure seems that a lot more of them have had problems % wise.

Goodluck on getting your money back, my experience with MS involving the xbox was far from nice.
Old 02-11-04, 11:00 AM
Retired

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Seriously, I know "all" consoles have their problems, but for the number of xboxes sold it sure seems that a lot more of them have had problems % wise.
Worst quality DVD drive of the bunch (in certain models anyway) and the hard drive, while not seeming to break that much, is one more thing to go wrong that the other systems don't have.
Old 02-11-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 915 Likes on 675 Posts
Originally posted by jeffdsmith

Goodluck on getting your money back, my experience with MS involving the xbox was far from nice.
You must not remember the PS1 launch too well. After a year or so most of those machines had to be played up-side-down, or they wouldn't work at all. Why do you think PS2 has a vertical mount option. It wasn't cause it looks nice. I've been lucky so far, I still have my launch XBOX, and PS2 with no problems yet.
Old 02-11-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
...and the hard drive, while not seeming to break that much, is one more thing to go wrong that the other systems don't have.
well, yes, it might break... but the tradeoff is certainly worth it! no question in my mind.

memory cards fail too... like say you roll over it w/ your chair (so i've heard )
Old 02-11-04, 11:38 AM
Retired

Trade off isn't worth it IMO, as developers haven't put it too good use IMO.

It's great for sports games, but I haven't played many this gen. It's great if you want to make your own soundtrack, but I have no interest in doing that. Too much hassle to upload and it's usually a feature in games I don't play much (i.e. extreme sports and racing).

I'd love to see it used to do some neat gameplay stuff (remembering environmental damage, having everything you do effect stuff later on in more detail than in say KOTOR etc.), but it hasn't happened yet.
Old 02-11-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i probably use like 5% of the hard drive. i don't really put music on it.

but, just not having to change memory cards or worry about running out of space on one is what i meant about it being worth it.

i mean, i have like 8 memory cards for the ps2 and 1(+ the freebie little one that came w/ animal crossing) for the GC.

+ it galls me that the dinky little memory cards cost $20. the ps2 2 pack is what now, $35? i've bought 4 of those - so $140???
Old 02-11-04, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by young
i probably use like 5% of the hard drive. i don't really put music on it.

but, just not having to change memory cards or worry about running out of space on one is what i meant about it being worth it.

i mean, i have like 8 memory cards for the ps2 and 1(+ the freebie little one that came w/ animal crossing) for the GC.

+ it galls me that the dinky little memory cards cost $20. the ps2 2 pack is what now, $35? i've bought 4 of those - so $140???
Wth, 8 PS2 memory cards? I know sport games take a lot of space but it's not that bad is it?( I don't play the genre so wouldn't know.)

I have 42 PS2 games and use only one memory card. Granted I don't keep all the games saves on the card when I finish them though, I would assume most people don't either.
Old 02-11-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

oops, not to mention the separate ps1 memory cards (2).

the 8 ps2 cards are not full, but i have them split into genres. 3 rpgs, 2 sports, 1 platformer, 1 racing, 1 misc. the rpgs are pretty full mainly b/c i like to keep multiple saves.
Old 02-11-04, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by noonan4224
You must not remember the PS1 launch too well. After a year or so most of those machines had to be played up-side-down, or they wouldn't work at all. Why do you think PS2 has a vertical mount option. It wasn't cause it looks nice. I've been lucky so far, I still have my launch XBOX, and PS2 with no problems yet.
Well, to be fair I'm in college now which exposes me to many more gamers then being in high school when the PS1 launched. With the PS1 I recall overheating issues throughout it lifespan and limited CD-ROM issues. As I dicated however I wasn't around owners as much.

Besides, I'm discussing the current generation of hardware.
Old 02-11-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Sorry, you had that problem.

Were you getting it fixed under a service contract or just a random repair? It's possible (I don't know how likely) that they have a specific policy for non-warranty machines so as to avoid repeat repairs with the same machine in an effort to save the customer some costs.

My only experience with them was under a contract and proved more than satisfactory.
Old 02-11-04, 12:40 PM
Mod Emeritus

Sorry to hear about the problems. They fixed mine, paid for shipping both ways and didn't cost a cent. It was past its warranty and I didn't have a fancy warranty.
Old 02-11-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Shouldn't this be in the "MS is run by sadists" thread?

Old 02-11-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
Were you getting it fixed under a service contract or just a random repair? It's possible (I don't know how likely) that they have a specific policy for non-warranty machines so as to avoid repeat repairs with the same machine in an effort to save the customer some costs.
I didn't have a service contract for my xbox. It was out of warranty. I bought it 2 years ago. I don't mind that they fixed something else in addition to what I requested. What bothers me is that they didn't consult with me beforehand nor did they make any effort to keep my save games.

I'm not even complaining about the defective thomson drives. In my mind, the drive performed well enough. It lasted two years thru HEAVY usage. What I'm disappointed about is the lousy customer service.
Old 02-11-04, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Trade off isn't worth it IMO, as developers haven't put it too good use IMO.

It's great for sports games, but I haven't played many this gen. It's great if you want to make your own soundtrack, but I have no interest in doing that. Too much hassle to upload and it's usually a feature in games I don't play much (i.e. extreme sports and racing).

I'd love to see it used to do some neat gameplay stuff (remembering environmental damage, having everything you do effect stuff later on in more detail than in say KOTOR etc.), but it hasn't happened yet.
Don't forget the harddrive enables xbox owners to get downloaded content. ie thru xbox live and demo discs. for example new maps,mechs,gametypes for mechassault. Or new songs for DDR and new skins for DOA3.

Also The developers do Cache their games using the harddrive to make their loadtimes faster. Perfect example would be Halo.

So there are lots of benefits to having the harddrive.

As far as the person who lost their saves. Thats a bummer!! Well I guess you now have an excuse to play your games again!
Old 02-11-04, 03:10 PM
Retired

Originally posted by young

Jesus. I hardly ever replay games, so I just delete the saves. I have 1 PS2 card, and 2 small ones for the GC (though one's currently totally empty).

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 02-11-04 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-11-04, 03:16 PM

For $99 I would have just bought a new one, or tried to fix the old one myself.
Old 02-11-04, 03:30 PM

Glad I never bought an xbox.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.