Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gigli...rhymes with REALLY good.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-04, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, so not really. But I have to say, I think the masses were scapegoating a little when Gigli won ALL kinds of the Raspberries and garnered that coveted top spot on IMDB.

I just watched it to see if it was really as bad as everyone said. I laughed. I didn't cry. But there were quite a few redeeming qualities. I don't think it was NEARLY as bad as everyone tried to say it was. What gives?

I have seen SO many stinkers in my time, but this is at LEAST decent enough so as to not be included in their ranks. Gone Fishin', Serial Mom and Ghost in the Machine are three that are, at the very least, much crappier than this film.

4 outta 10, for me.
Old 02-11-04, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
It got alot of bad press cuz people were really really sick of Ben and J-Lo. I haven't seen it, but I'm sure it's not as bad as Wing Commander, Cutthroat Island or Killer Condom.
Old 02-11-04, 05:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its not a bad movie...in fact its quite good IMO...I enjoy it...

People who think this is a bad movie havent seen a bad movie!
Old 02-11-04, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Most people around here who think it's a bad movie haven't seen it. Here at dvdtalk, seeing a movie isn't a prerequisite for having an opinion about it.
Old 02-11-04, 07:07 AM

Finally, some people are agreeing with me. I took a real beating in another thread for daring to suggest Gigli wasn't as bad as negitive buzz. Like Trigger said, it's greatest bashers are those who haven't even seen it.
Old 02-11-04, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Gigli...rhymes with REALLY good.

Originally posted by DarkestPhoenix
Gone Fishin', Serial Mom and Ghost in the Machine are three that are, at the very least, much crappier than this film.

4 outta 10, for me.

You had me going there for a minute .... but anyone who doesn't think Serial Mom is a comic gem obviously evaluates movies in a different way than I do.
Old 02-11-04, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree, Serial Mom is a classic.
Old 02-11-04, 09:21 AM

I have yet to meet anyone in the "real world" that likes Serial Mom. Just a question: What in the hell makes it so funny?

Burning a kid at a rock concert? The whole movie was so stupid. Its script looked like it was written by a re-re.
Old 02-11-04, 09:28 AM
Banned

I honestly don't think Gigli is as bad as people make it out. I think all the negative publicity has to do with the backlash against the Bennifer relationship (I know, thats been stated a million times already).

And I would rate Star Wars Episode I and II waaay below Gigli anytime in the history of the universe.
Old 02-11-04, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh come on, the movie is that bad. there is little to no chemestry between the leads. the plot doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. the movie is overly violent, and Affleck can't do the gangster accent. and of course its unintentionally funny.
Old 02-11-04, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
oh come on, the movie is that bad. there is little to no chemestry between the leads.
I didn't see it that way at all.

the plot doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.
What was so confusing about it? Al Pacino's part? Hard to keep up with it, I know...

the movie is overly violent, and Affleck can't do the gangster accent. and of course its unintentionally funny.
No, Cabin Fever is overly violent for no purpose other than to be violent. I might agree with the accent, but it looks to me like he gave it up within the first ten minutes. I don't think it was unintentional. I laughed genuinely many a time.
Old 02-11-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gone Fishin' IS better then Gigli. Borderline eleben!
Old 02-11-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

what is the "plot" really, they kidnap the retarded kid, ben and jens relationship, that is extremely stiff and really bad dialogue.
oh and do we really need to see a guy get his brains blown in from a single gun shot? one of the worst movies of all time (please tell me im not the only one who thinks this
Old 02-11-04, 10:40 AM
Suspended

I haven't seen it, so I have no opinion on the movie, but I have to say I have a hard time believing ANY movie is as bad as the press made this out to be. Sure, maybe it stinks, the the OP said, 4/10.. the critics/media purport it to be a zero or negative.
Old 02-11-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Wasn't that bad of a movie. Quite a lot of hilarious moments. The accent was pretty bad though, although it made the dialouge funnier.
Old 02-11-04, 11:48 AM

Affleck not able to talk like a gangster is PART of the character. He was never made for it, he was too much of a good guy.

I posted a thread like this a long time ago, when it was released. I really think it was a good film, one of the better ones of the year, and one that got too much of a bad reputation before it even came out..

I know you only rated it 4 out of 10 [while I give it around 7 out of 10] but it's nice to see someone can see the merits of the film. In a board where most people have the same exact opinion [LOTR is the best movie ever, you have no taste in movies Sarareku] it is nice to see someone half way agrees with me.
Old 02-11-04, 12:12 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
I didn't think it was as bad as people made it out to be either. Their was some really bad dialouge in a couple scenes it's not like it was House of the Dead.
Old 02-11-04, 01:02 PM

what is the "plot" really, they kidnap the retarded kid, ben and jens relationship, that is extremely stiff and really bad dialogue.
oh and do we really need to see a guy get his brains blown in from a single gun shot? one of the worst movies of all time (please tell me im not the only one who thinks this)
I guess you could say that of any movie. Let's take Cabin Fever, my previous example, and probably the chittiest movie I've seen in a long, LONG time.

Any movie plot can be summed up in one sentence: Five people go camping and get a deadly disease.

Star Wars: Kid farmer becomes space pilot and saves the universe.

Anyway, I don't see how you can complain about the violence. WTF? Are you living in 1948? That was the ONLY violent part of the movie, it was two seconds, and it was NOTHING compared to Cabin Fever, like I said. It is NOTHING compared to Reservoir Dogs, Saving Private Ryan, Hell, even The Evil Dead.

Do you think Open Range sucks, too, because of the scene where
Spoiler:
Costner shoots that bastard in the head?

Please. That argument, I'm sorry, just doesn't hold water.

Thanks for the agreement sarahku. I still don't understand you.
Old 02-11-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

oh and btw, open range sucked because it was slow and boring unitl the end (i even thought it could get a pg13). for what is basically a romantic comedy, i thought the head blowing off was a bit much. oh and all of those other movie's you listed, are some of my favorites (and while im at it, reservoir dogs is not a violent movie)
Old 02-11-04, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

oh and btw, open range sucked because it was slow and boring unitl the end (i even thought it could get a pg13). for what is basically a romantic comedy, i thought the head blowing off was a bit much. oh and all of those other movie's you listed, are some of my favorites (and while im at it, reservoir dogs is not a violent movie)
Reservior Dogs isn't a violent movie? Are you sure you saw the same RD everyone else did?
Old 02-11-04, 02:13 PM

Saying that Reservoir Dogs isn't a violent movie but Gigli is makes me laugh.

If that ain't the pot callin' the kettle black, I don't know what is!
Old 02-11-04, 02:14 PM
Banned

The editing was off. The director’s color palette was a bit too varied.
The pacing was pretty good up until the studio logo faded and then they lost it.
Don’t even get me started on the scene in the kitchen!
And am I really supposed to buy the premise that two people like that would ever share a bubble bath with the busboy from the airport restaurant???

NO STARS!!!!
Old 02-11-04, 04:17 PM

I give Dreamcatcher my vote for worst movie of 2003, but I haven't seen Gigli (I've been avoiding it).
Old 02-11-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Mopower
Reservior Dogs isn't a violent movie? Are you sure you saw the same RD everyone else did?
actually, quite a few say that rd isn't all that violent as many people have said. alot of the actual violence is off screen. we don't see the ear
Old 02-11-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okay off topic a bit, but since Reservoir Dogs was brought up I feel the need to add to it. Reservoir Dogs is not really a violent movie, atleast not as violent as some people think.

I'll let Quentin Tarantino himself explain(from the Charlie Rose show):

"So in a way, they're saying, 'Good filmmaking.' All right, especially since like the movie is a talking heads movie, it's these people talking to each other for like the entire 90 minutes with like three acts of violence in the movie. The most notorious one you don't even see on screen. All right, so it's like, 'Well, thanks.' "

Now I have not seen Gigli, but if it had portrayed violence very well, than I don't think that topic would be brought up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.