Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

favorite/best/memerable movie going expieriences

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seeing the lotr trillogy at the senator theater back to back. a very energetic crowd , and everybody seemed to be enjoying the movies alot. nobody looked like they were sleeping or dosing off.
Old 02-10-04, 05:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More of a personal experience than an event: Got stoned with my first girlfriend and went in to see Robocop. The part where ED209 goes off had my heart slamming in my chest and the movie got better from there. I was SO into that movie. I even cried (tears not loud sobbing, c’mon) when Robocop was having flashbacks in his old house and got bigtime girlfriend props. (I wasn’t faking either. I was with Robocop for the whole journey.)

Also sneaking into Heavy Metal, my first R rated movie. I was the guy from Splinter Cell, only 12 years old. I bought a ticket for On the Right Track with Gary Coleman and stood by some older guy playing a video game like he was my dad (hoping he was seeing the cartoon). Walked in behind him (he was kind of oblivious) and the usher walked in behind us. I walked down the aisle and sat one row behind and next to the guy so in silhouette we were sitting next to each other. When the usher went away I picked a good seat (this guy sat up in the front off to the side).

Raiders of the Lost Ark! That freakin’ guy's head melted! I was a happy, happy camper.

Seven. I’m one of the ones that didn’t see it comin’ ‘til the director wanted me to. That and I was positive that no movie studio would ever greenlight a non-happy ending. I didn’t feel like talking to anyone for half an hour. I just walked around the mall with a slack jaw. I felt great!
Old 02-10-04, 05:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EP1 and EP2 Midnight showings...best theater experience ever!
Old 02-11-04, 09:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
sneaking in alcohol into Leaving Las Vegas

sneaking in alcohol into Showgirls then after the movie my friend pointing out "Watch your foot... oops". The empty bottle rolled from the middle of the theatre all the way to the front of the auditorium.

seeing the 'original' Star Wars Trilogy back to back at the AFI, my friend and I were adding our own MST commentary through out the entire films. (Thankfully we were in the front and not bothering anyone).

Almost losing my entire dinner in my lap while watching David Cronenberg's version of The Fly

Both me and my sister getting seriousily nausious after seeing Blair Witch Project.

Jurassic Park at the Uptown - wow!... wow!

first film to be heard in Dolby Digital sound Aladdin had to drive out to Merrifield Virgina to the National Amusement theatre to hear the movie as such.

First R-rated film my dad took me to see: Excaliber

Sneaking an entire Chinese meal into a screening of Bull Durham with several of my high school friends.

Seeing our first NC-17 film Henry and June with those same friends.

Same friends; the anticipation of seeing Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - while waiting in line, we ordered at ate Armands pizza, then interviewed by Channel 5 news (now Fox 5) which was across the street from the theatre. My friend who was interviewed though was raving about the pizza and not about the film.

My mom subjecting my sister and I to our first horror movie at our local library; the silent dracula film Nosferatu - my sister had nightmares for weeks, I loved it.

Seeing Close Encounters in the theatre my sister and her friends were bored out of their wits, I was transfixed - my love for the cinema was born.

Same friends and their mom, took us to see Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger in my enthusiasm I accidently slammed the car door on my sisters hand (by accident - I felt really bad). The preview for Orca really freaked me out.

Seeing Star Wars seven times at the Uptown in 1977.

The anticipation of seeing Meatballs my friend's father while driving to the theatre was chanting: "Spaghetti and.... " we yelled back "Meatballs!!!!"

First IMAX film at age 8: To Fly the scene where the train comes at you, we all spazz and duck under our seats.

Seeing the following films while under the control of drugs. Stalker and Pink Floyd The Wall - whoah. Passed out mid way through "Stalker", "The Wall" was unreal and really cool.

Last edited by Giles; 02-11-04 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-11-04, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I would have to say the opening night of the SW:ANH SE was the most memorable experience I ever had, just being there with my college friends from the dorm and seeing everyone else waiting in line and grilling out and all added to the atmosphere.

Other memorable ones are both vampire movies: Bram Stoker's Dracula and Interview With a Vampire. Not that they were exceptional, they were just both experiences in which my small town theater was packed to the capacity and a majority of the audience were all high school mates.

The next one would most likley be the opening night of LOTR:FOTR. The main reason was more or less the fact that within minutes of the movie starting, I realized the PJ pretty much nailed the world of Tolkien and that he hadn't made something that I really valued into a stinker. Bear in mind that I had been wanting a LOTR movie for over eight years since I finished the books, and finally seeing it on the screen as a true quality movie was a great moment.
Old 02-11-04, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to the drive in in the late 70's with about 10 friends(5 cars parked side by side) to watch the Warriors,a couple of them took the movie a little to literally and picked a fight with about 10 guys (5 cars parked side by side in front of us) we all ended up getting kicked out by the cops,but both groups ended up laughing about it and we all went out drinking afterward,so as shakespeare says alls well that ends well lol

I have a buncha great drive in stories though,those where the days lol,it was more a social event than going to the movies but great times none the less,of course you might not remember a thing about the movie your there to watch lol

Last edited by NEUMANN; 02-11-04 at 05:40 PM.