Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Simpsons movie confirmed (with tentative date)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UGO's very own DVDFanatic.com interviewed Simpsons producer Mike Reiss, and he confirmed that the Simpsons movie has finally been slated for production.

Tom: What can you tell us about the movie? We’ve heard that there was supposed to be a "Simpsons" movie for the past several years but you don’t want to just simply put three episodes together, so how are you creating something new that’s not been done before?

Mike: That’s been the biggest challenge. They’ve wanted to do this since season two. It’s been 13 years of wanting to do “The Simpsons” Movie. Finally FOX said, “Let’s just do it!” We never had the greatest idea that was compelling but FOX said, “Maybe if we start paying you, you’ll get inspired.” And sure enough it worked! We’ve got a very good and interesting idea and it’s different from the show. You know, it’s like the “South Park” movie where it’s just a bigger, longer, amplified version of the show. I can’t tell you anything specific about it. My wife doesn’t even know the secret.

Tom: When do you think “The Simpsons” movie will come out?

Mike: I will say two years from this summer. I think it’s going to be Summer 2006 or maybe Christmas 2006. It’s a reality after being just sort of this phantom idea. I think it is really gonna happen.
Old 02-10-04, 01:00 PM

We all knew this was coming a long long time ago....
Old 02-10-04, 01:27 PM

I've always known there's been talk, but I hadn't heard a date until this week. Maybe I'm just slow.
Old 02-10-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I have three thumbs.
Old 02-10-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
I'll be really interested when this comes out. For the life of me I can't imagine a feature length Simpsons movie. Maybe it's because the show works so perfectly as half hour TV shows. Whatever they do never feels limited by the medium. An unlike South Park, the oppertunity to be vulgar or use profanity wouldn't add anything to the forumla, I think it would detract.

Still, will be cool to see.
Old 02-10-04, 04:00 PM

Can't wait to see it. I mean, while the potential to not live up to the series is there, at worst the movie will be stupid, and we'll still have hundreds of great Simpsons episodes anyway. And I doubt it'll be bad. As long as they don't try any live action or CG bullshit.
Old 02-10-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i know ill see it but i wonder if itll be good.
Old 02-10-04, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WOO HOO!
Old 02-10-04, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This movie is gonna make some money. The show is the most popular thing in America since.......Heck I dont know... democracy?
Old 02-10-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This movie is several years too late.
Old 02-10-04, 10:35 PM

mmmmmmm.......movie

Old 02-11-04, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They oughtta do it all CGI (ala Ice Age, etc).
Old 02-11-04, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

"What's that guy smoking? The Simpsons in CGI? No way in hell"

Hey, perhaps that would be a way to end the series once and for all. it's been off it's tracks from a few years ago. what a great way to send the show off by giving it a movie as a closing
Old 02-11-04, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'd go see a Simpsons movie... gladly. I only hope that the film doesn't fall apart at the end like the tv episodes do.
Old 02-11-04, 08:21 AM

so begins the Simpsons bashing.

If you don't like it- don't watch it.
Old 02-13-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mmconhea
so begins the Simpsons bashing.

If you don't like it- don't watch it.
Hear, hear. There is nothing more tedious than reading the same people over in TV Talk squawking week after week that "The Simpsons have been going downhill for the last few years". Booooorrrring.
Old 02-13-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That took a while. I would think they would be up to the third sequal by now.
Old 02-13-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Jesus - I wasn't Simpsons bashing... I've never said nor read anything about the Simpsons in TV talk. I hardly go in there as it is. I've loved the Simpsons from the moment they first aired - I was a huge fan of Matt Groening before that with Life in Hell. I still like and watch the Simpsons, but the only thing that's ever bothered me about the show is that the episodes almost always fall apart near the end - like in the last 5 minutes... as if they just give up or something. Doesn't mean I don't like it. Sometimes, the falling apart is funnier than the episode. Cut me some slack - I don't have to love everything about everything dammit and I can criticize things I like if I want.
Old 02-13-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ummmm, this is going to be an ANIMATED film isn't it?

(flashbacks to live-action Flintstones and Scooby-Doo and gets the cold shudders)
Old 06-09-05, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/eo/2...827472000.html

Ay Caramba! "Simpsons" Movie Going
Wednesday June 8 4:52 PM ET

Get ready to toast your Flaming Moes to some excellent news.

The Simpsons movie is off the drawing board and in preproduction.

"You know what? We've just done the table read for The Simpsons movie, so although we've been promoting that we're going to do it, now we're actually doing it and are in production," Nancy Cartwright, who gives voice to Bart Simpson, told BBC Radio 1 this week.

Cartwright, in London doing publicity for her one-woman show, My Life as a Ten-Year-Old Boy, indicated that the movie is still in the preliminary script development stage and it will take at least two years before it's fully animated and ready for release.

"I don't know the name of it, and I can't go into details about it, and we'll just have to see how it goes, but I think it's going to be great and the fans are going to dig it," she added.

Producers had always indicated that the movie would likely debut after the TV show ran its course. But with the show continuing to perform well, averaging about 10 million viewers last season, the Simpsons brain trust decided to move forward now, according to a rep for 20th Century Fox, which will distribute the Simpsons film.

"They are working on hammering out a script, but there's no title or production date or release date," studio spokeswoman Antonia Coffman told E! Online Wednesday. "We always wanted the show to end first but it just keeps going. Now they've worked out a team to simultaneously do [both the film and show]."

Rumors of a Simpsons movie seem to surface every few years, usually sparked by the 'toon's mastermind, Matt Groening, which then sends long-time Homer honks into a frenzy of anticipation. But such talk turned out to be premature in the past as Groening and fellow executive producers James L. Brooks and Al Jean chose to wait for the show to wind down.

The closest The Simpsons has come to the big screen was a computer-generated Homer cameo for the 2000 IMAX 3-D flick, CyberWorld.

Coffman says that there are still many details to iron out before the feature kicks into high gear, including who's going to do the animation--Film Roman, which has done so since the TV series' inception, or another production house.

This fall will see The Simpsons embark on season 17. Fox and show producers foresee the cartoon cast fulfilling its current contract, which runs through a 19th season.
Old 06-09-05, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I was going to make some witty comment in this thread, but then I realized I already did.
Old 06-09-05, 10:20 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Trigger
Jesus - I wasn't Simpsons bashing...
Originally Posted by Trigger
I only hope that the film doesn't fall apart at the end like the tv episodes do.
Old 06-09-05, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Calculon
They oughtta do it all CGI (ala Ice Age, etc).

Me thinks if they continue the story line from the Treehouse of Horror episode, where homer enters the 3D world, I will probably shit myself upon hearing the news. So will all the other millions of fans.
Old 06-09-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
From IMDB.com:

'Simpsons' Movie Confirmed

Homer Simpson and his hugely popular family are set to hit the big screen in a new full-length movie based on the cult cartoon series. The show's principal voice actors have all signed on for the project and creator Matt Groening is delighted with the script for the film. The Simpsons' spokeswoman Antonia Kaughman says, "Now we're going to get the best of both worlds, evidently... They finally worked out a movie team, a team of the writers, because we could never hire outside writers - they had to be Simpsons writers, and most of them were working on the show. They finally put this team together that has time on the side, and they've been working on the script. So the movie won't be at the end of the series - they'll be working simultaneously."
Old 06-09-05, 03:04 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

hmmmm think this will be rated PG?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.