Old 02-09-04, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The O.C. --> Feb 9, 2004

Well, it looks like they're wrapping up all the crappy stories lines at once:

Spoiler:
Anna dumps Seth & Marissa learns the truth about Oliver

All I can say is its about time!
Old 02-09-04, 10:09 PM

Location: noun. a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Today's Monday. It's 1 hour of That 70s Show and that craptacular new reality show My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance Not on til Wednesday, shimm.
Old 02-09-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PapaWheelie
Today's Monday. It's 1 hour of That 70s Show and that craptacular new reality show My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance Not on til Wednesday, shimm.
Well, if you live in a really, really northern area in North America, that's not true.
Old 02-09-04, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Hey Fiance is a good show.
Old 02-09-04, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by freedexter
Well, if you live in a really, really northern area in North America, that's not true.
Or if you live in the US and know of a certain way to download things.
Old 02-09-04, 11:57 PM

Location: noun. a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Originally posted by freedexter
Hmmm... so Canada gets it a few days early, huh? Interesting.
Old 02-10-04, 12:10 AM

CTV airs the shows on Monday's in Canada as well as Fox putting them on Wednesday's so we get them a couple days early if we choose.
Old 02-10-04, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spoiler:
Cmon, Oliver! Pull the trigger! Pull the trigger!
And wow... I want to have a 'moment' with Marissa's mom like Luke.

Anna, in that last outfit, was smoking hot. *sigh*

Oh, and Summer needs to stick with the straight hair, IMHO.

I liked it. Several funny moments, not as much whining from the cast as we had seen.
Old 02-11-04, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We used to get Buffy a few days early, as well as King of Queens and a few more than I can' think of right now.

Spoiler:
Marissa's Mom has got it going on

Spoiler:
Go Luke Go Luke! I wonder if that storyline will pop up again. I hope that Oliver is gone for good now. Too bad about Anna, but hopefully she will stick around and maybe get another boyfriend. Marissa and Ryan need to go off together and die now
Old 02-11-04, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by PapaWheelie
Holy Shit! Its Monday? No frikken way! I'm pretty sure I know which show I watched, but thanks anyway

Anyways, I really hoped that
Spoiler:
Oliver would pop himself.
That would've just made my day. For some reason, Anna really annoys me. It must be her voice. Its just so annoying.

Last edited by shimmoril; 02-11-04 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-11-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anna seems like she is so sweet compared to Summer. Kinda like Betty and Veronica
Old 02-11-04, 01:12 PM

This was posted over at The Fort

O.C. Exec Defends Oliver
by Michael Ausiello

On tonight's episode of The O.C., the clichéd plot device commonly known as Oliver Trask makes a dramatic exit from the hit soap — and not a moment too soon. Fox's first-year dramedy flirted with some serious jump-the-shark territory with its introduction of the cookie-cutter villain, whose only purpose in life was to throw a kink in Marissa and Ryan's blossoming romance. It was a glaring misstep for a show that seems to pride itself on being the thinking person's 90210. To commemorate Oliver's hotly anticipated swan song, we rang up series creator (and recent Writers Guild of America Award nominee) Josh Schwartz to find out what the heck he was thinking.

TV Guide Online: Dude, what were you thinking? Love the show. Hate Oliver. The guy's a cartoon.
Josh Schwartz: That's fair. But I make the argument that his actions are coming from a place of loneliness. He's not like [John] Malkovich in In the Line of Fire, where he's plotting to kill the president. He's a lonely kid, and he's desperate and sad, and in [tonight's] episode, you'll really see that loneliness. And I don't know if that will humanize him enough for you, but for me, certainly, it provided human motivation. And it wasn't just psychosis for the sake of psychosis. That being said, every episode is a learning experience.

TVGO: Do you get why viewers are upset?
Schwartz: Yeah. I've been told that [shows] don't go down a path like this until Season 2. We don't ever want to do the same kind of episode twice. We don't ever want to have things get stale. And I think the alternative, had we kept everything sunny and happy and rosy, people would have gotten real bored. I think in the long run, people will feel like this was done very smartly.

TVGO: Was his exit tonight a knee-jerk response to the backlash?
Schwartz: No. It was always designed as a six-episode arc where we would bring in a character whose circumstances coming into this world were not unlike Ryan's. Everything was a little perverted. Instead of being poor, he was extremely wealthy. Instead of being a good guy, this was a guy with an agenda and a little bit, ummm... not well. He was a lonely, lonely kid who was really going to get in the way and disrupt the relationship between Ryan and Marissa and significantly demonstrate just how tenuous Ryan's relationship is with all of these people. He's still a stranger in this world. And just because he believes something doesn't mean everyone else is going to trust him. And it's gonna kick off the next arc that's gonna take us through the end of the season that's really going to have him question his whole life in this town.

TVGO: The buzz is, you weren't a big fan of Oliver yourself — and that Fox foisted him on you to goose ratings.
Schwartz: Oh, that's not true. I think this story has been great for us. It's been a huge learning experience for me, just in terms of the amount of controversy this character has raised. But for everyone who has said what you said — that it's beneath us — there's people who say, "I love this character. He's shaking up the world. He's giving us someone that we love to hate. He's so delicious. He's really challenging Ryan."

TVGO: So, Oliver wasn't Fox's idea?
Schwartz: No. The idea is actually based on a guy a friend of mine dated who faked having cancer to [hang on to her]. That kind of desperation and loneliness was really fascinating to me, and that's what inspired the Oliver character. As far as the network is concerned, they are constantly in favor of introducing new characters that challenge and mess up some of the relationships we have... This was the first time where we kicked up some real dust in terms of splitting people's opinions in a dramatic way. But I think that's good for a show; it gives people something to talk about. I'm actually real proud of it and excited that we did it.

TVGO: Do you think it hurt other characters' credibility? I'm sorry, but Marissa looked like a moron throughout this whole ordeal.
Schwartz: You have to remember that the audience was given a lot of information that these characters do not have. The audience has seen a lot of things — and that was a choice that we made. We could have really hit the ball and made it like you don't know what you're watching. I don't know that that isn't too soft of a way to go with the story. So, we made the conscious decision to let the audience see a lot of stuff that certainly Seth wasn't seeing and Marissa wasn't seeing as well.

TVGO: Still, I don't understand why Seth would believe a total stranger over Ryan.
Schwartz: It's not that he believes a total stranger over Ryan. In the last episode, Seth is saying to him that either the guy committed suicide or he faked it — either way, that's pretty crazy. But look, buddy, you're on thin ice all of the time. In your best interests, just try and embrace this guy and let it go. His siding with Oliver has less to do with him believing Oliver over Ryan than it does with him wanting to protect Ryan from his own jealous, baser instincts.

TVGO: You said this was a learning experience. What have you learned?
Schwartz: [Long pause] I don't know. I guess if you're going to introduce something controversial, just be willing to ride it out.

Thanx to melpepinla

Chris
Old 02-11-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by movieking
Anna seems like she is so sweet compared to Summer. Kinda like Betty and Veronica
Did they have to force the "Archies" comparison in this ep. though?

Originally posted by mrpayroll's article
...there's people who say, "I love this character. He's shaking up the world. He's giving us someone that we love to hate. He's so delicious. He's really challenging Ryan."
Who? Your interns?

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 02-11-04 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-11-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Actually, the concept of introducing a character like Oliver Trask wasn't the problem. In fact, it was a good idea. Lord knows the Marissa/Ryan relationship was by far the dullest subplot the show had going.

The mistake was in the execution of the idea. When you have a guy whose sole purpose on the show is to screw with everyone else's lives, the audience will immediately turn on him and it can potentially kill a lot of the goodwill they have towards The O.C. If they had made Oliver at least a little bit sympathetic, we'd actually want him
Spoiler:
to put the gun down in that scene. Instead we're rooting for him to blow his brains out.

If you want proof of how it's done right, look no further than the other two love triangles we've seen so far. Ryan/Marissa/Luke worked because we actually cared about all three characters. Luke was a first class a-hole, but he clearly loved the girl and is still regretting the mistakes he made. Seth/Anna/Summer works for the same reason. No matter who Seth chooses in the end(although it's pretty obvious after this episode who it'll wind up being), he comes out a winner cuz both girls are great.

Last edited by Doughboy; 02-11-04 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-11-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
Spoiler:
Cmon, Oliver! Pull the trigger! Pull the trigger!
And wow... I want to have a 'moment' with Marissa's mom like Luke.

Anna, in that last outfit, was smoking hot. *sigh*

Oh, and Summer needs to stick with the straight hair, IMHO.

I liked it. Several funny moments, not as much whining from the cast as we had seen.

Where did you see it early?
Old 02-11-04, 09:31 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Go Luke

I was hoping the security guys were going to shoot Oliver and Marissa. She is so stupid.

I'm glad they finished up the Seth/Summer/Anna triangle tonight. It was getting pretty stale.
Old 02-11-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Luke has had one of the greatest character turn-abouts in the history of television. He's becoming one of the best parts of the show. I like how he is such a good buddy w/ Ryan now, too - the whole Oliver/Marissa ordeal sped up this whole friendship.

I hope to see Anna in future eps, though I am happy to see them finally end this little triangle. I liked how Sandy saw how Seth was treating Anna so poorly and called him on it and stuck up for her. I like both girls, so I would like to see them both around, though I do have to say that Rachel Bilson is becoming more appealing each and every week. Whatever it is, she has it.

This is the second time they have promoted Kavalier and Clay on this show. Great book - it would be cool if it got more people to go out and read it.

When are they going to bring back Kirsten's sister? Hopefully, sooner rather than later.
Old 02-11-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When are they going to bring back Kirsten's sister? Hopefully, sooner rather than later.
I believe she's due back next week. I didn't watch the preview for the next episode though(damn Fox and their spoilers!), so I don't know for sure.
Old 02-12-04, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by Doughboy
I believe she's due back next week. I didn't watch the preview for the next episode though(damn Fox and their spoilers!), so I don't know for sure.

Love the gunshot they played hundreds of times since the last new episode that appeared, let's see, 0 times in the episode....Not only does Fox show spoilers (the last big scene in the show) they make stuff up that doesn't even happen. Retards...
Old 02-12-04, 12:14 AM

Well the 3 people that I wanted dead, lived!

Hopefully now we can get back to vintage O.C. and no more of this crapola!

And a big yes to Kirsten's sister coming back.

And what's up with Luke & Marissa's mom?

Chris
Old 02-12-04, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Verbal Gorilla
Not only does Fox show spoilers (the last big scene in the show) they make stuff up that doesn't even happen. Retards...
Maybe the Fox folks at Arrested Development are putting together The O.C. previews.

I made the mistake of watching some long ass O.C. preview, thinking it was just for this episode, that showed stuff over "the next several episodes", including:
Spoiler:
the "Did you wear protection?" scene with Seth.
Old 02-12-04, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Luke - you da' man (or at least it looks like you will be next week.). Tappin' the daughter and the MILF.

And those of us in the Summer camp can rejoice that Seth will see the light.
Old 02-12-04, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, just glad the "O.C." (Obsessive Compulsive) Oliver arc is done.

Summer is so durn appealing, felt totally bad for Anna. Seth is a tool. Sandman's the man. Ryan can be a reclusive 'tard in some respects. Luke and the MILF (Julie just about goes from robbing the old man to robbing the cradle all in one day). Caleb is a wuss. Marissa needed to lose a pinkie toe or something to keep reminding her not to fall for the OCs of the world.
Old 02-12-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Oliver's gone!!!!!

Seth is a jerk. I liked how his dad called him on it although he didn't do anything about it.

The previews for next look real interesting with Luke and Seth's new storyline.
Old 02-12-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Couldnt oliver have shot himself through the head with the bulet ending up lodged in Marissa's heart?

Anyone who thinks Anna is even remotley close to being as hot as Summer is a fricking lunatic...

...BUT WHERE THE HELL HAS HOLLY BEEN?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.