Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The X-Files Favorites

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The X-Files Favorites

I'm watching X-Files again (I quit around Season Six) and I'm just curious to see what your favorites are.

My favorite episode was "The Field Where I Died", but many people hated that one. One online site gave it an F, the only episode to get a failing grade. It had some inconsistencies, but I liked it. I also liked "Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man", and the one where everyone thought Mulder killed himself, but I am curious to see your favorites.

I never saw a show so talented at giving their viewers a cliffhanger every season.

Hard to believe I started watching thanks to The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.
Old 02-09-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I still love "Ice" from the first season.
Old 02-09-04, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Phoenix, I think you and I are the only two people who like "Field Where I Died." Such is life. Most of the episodes I really like were stand alones; the conspiracies just got to muddled after awhile. Some of my all-time favs include:

Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose (S3): overall just a wonderful episode and it was my #1 for a really long time.
Pusher (S3)
Jose Chung's From Outer Space (S3) : just too funny for words
Home (S4): yes it was gross but some of my fav character actors made an appearance in this episode.
Musing of a Cigarette Smoking Man (S4)
Never Again (S4)
Small Potatoes (S4): I'm seeing a season 4 trend here
Bad Blood (S5): Now my all time favorite episode
The Unnatural (S6)
all things (S7)
Redrum (S8)

I don't remember S9 all that well so I can't comment until the DVD is released.
Old 02-09-04, 08:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My favorite would have to be the one with "the fluke monster". Do not know the name of the episode
Old 02-09-04, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Ice is my all time fave.

Home is always a fan fave. A great mix of weird/gross/mood/and great use of music.

A good lighthearted one from the later seasons you probably missed is 'Je Souhaite' about the genai that grants wishes.

The Unnatural was a brilliant mix of something offbeat but ties into the grand plotline.

The Host, & Squeeze are great from year one.

And one other, from 5, I think, the name escapes me had the red headed, pizza kid attack Mulder at a motel with fake vampire teeth. It was quite a different look at the different ways Mulder & Scully think.

But basically there are too many greats to list.
Old 02-09-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Field where I died is one where I too, thought that was one of the worst X-Files episodes ever (sorry), although season 9 was so awful, in general, it really is in a class by itself.

A lot of great episodes have already been mentioned, but I think one of the earlier really terrific episodes that doesn't get mentioned a lot is "EVE".

Great performances by the actress who ended up as Frasier's agent and the little twin EVE girls.

A couple of others off the top of my head, "Humbug", "Post-Modern Prometheus", "Triangle"and "War of the Coprophages" were all classic episodes
Old 02-09-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by marka351
My favorite would have to be the one with "the fluke monster". Do not know the name of the episode
The Host from year one.
Old 02-09-04, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Home"
"Jose Chung's From Outer Space"
"Triangle"
Old 02-09-04, 09:55 PM

Any episode with the Lone Gunmen was a favorite of mine.
Old 02-09-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most of my "personal favs" are the one offs the mythology contains some real gems as well though. In no order

Millennium (I might be alone on this one)
Field Where I Died (always been a fav)
Humbug
Kill Switch
Field Trip
Beyond The Sea
Old 02-10-04, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts
Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose -- by a long shot.
Old 02-10-04, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
"Terms Of Endearment" is on my list of favorites since bruce campbell was in it.

though I really liked
"Musing of a Cigarette Smoking Man" Oh man, that is a classic.

pretty much I enjoyed the monster episodes more then the alien ones.
Old 02-10-04, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
And one other, from 5, I think, the name escapes me had the red headed, pizza kid attack Mulder at a motel with fake vampire teeth. It was quite a different look at the different ways Mulder & Scully think.
That's Bad Blood
Old 02-10-04, 08:04 AM

Originally posted by Decker
Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose -- by a long shot.
my sentiments too. absolutely.

i also love the Tooms episodes.
Old 02-10-04, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, minor correction. The Host is season 2. Second episode actually (first standalone of the season, after the second part of the season 1 ending cliffhanger)
Old 02-10-04, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by dgmayor
Actually, minor correction. The Host is season 2. Second episode actually (first standalone of the season, after the second part of the season 1 ending cliffhanger)
Right on. My bad.
Old 02-10-04, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts
Home (We actually set up an LCD projector and viewed this during lunch here at work... Barbecued Chicken)

Small Potatoes ("Efff. Beee. Iiiii.")

I dig the Tooms eps as well.

Basically, if the ep didn't involve the alien conspiracy arc, I was happy. I was a huge Kolchak fan, and the "monster-of-the-week" X-files were just my cuppa.
Old 02-10-04, 09:20 AM

Re: The X-Files Favorites

Originally posted by DarkestPhoenix
I'm watching X-Files again (I quit around Season Six) and I'm just curious to see what your favorites are.

My favorite episode was "The Field Where I Died", but many people hated that one. One online site gave it an F, the only episode to get a failing grade. It had some inconsistencies, but I liked it. I also liked "Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man", and the one where everyone thought Mulder killed himself, but I am curious to see your favorites.

I never saw a show so talented at giving their viewers a cliffhanger every season.

Hard to believe I started watching thanks to The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.

There are so many great episodes, X files was great in its consistency for a long time, I don't have a favorite, but would like to say I did enjoy the field where I died, so your not alone in that choice. I don't really dislike any episode, there was never really a bad episode, there were too many good ones.
Old 02-10-04, 09:22 AM

Re: The X-Files Favorites

Originally posted by DarkestPhoenix

There are so many great episodes, X files was great in its consistency for a long time, I don't have a favorite, but would like to say I did enjoy the field where I died, so your not alone in that choice. I don't really dislike any episode, there was never really a bad episode, there were too many good ones.

I like the episode 3 in season two,vampires, the female vampire was very beautiful, and Mulder solo mission.
Old 02-10-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
One of my favorites that no one has mentioned is:

The Ghosts who Stole Christmas (S5 or 6?)

Both funny and scary at the same time. Great character moments.
Old 02-10-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think the Ghosts who... just grates on my nerves for some reason.

As far as the last two seasons I enjoyed many of them. When the were good they were [b]GOOD[/], but when they were bad, they were just plain awful, not even mediocre. Some of the bad ones from the early seasons you could at least find something good about them but not these.
Old 02-24-04, 12:53 AM

Okay, just registered, and upon searching (I know -- gasp!) for some other X-Files info, ran unto this thread.

There were some great episodes in season 6. Triangle was already mentioned. My favorite though was "Monday". I remember sitting mouth open after watching that episode. It was so well written, directed, and acted, it left me speechless.
Old 04-07-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got the x-files bug. I'm in S-2 with S-3 in the mail. I like it so far; however, I has told by some the stories change later once the move to L.A. and Mulder leaves.

What season(s) does this happen in? and the quality drop much?
Old 04-07-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by island007
I just got the x-files bug. I'm in S-2 with S-3 in the mail. I like it so far; however, I has told by some the stories change later once the move to L.A. and Mulder leaves.

What season(s) does this happen in? and the quality drop much?
You're good for another few seasons at the very least. Lots of great stuff still to come...

In my estimation, the show lasted two or three seasons too long (and I was a die-hard X-Phile until the end). Once Mulder "left", the dynamic of having a couple of new lead characters was interesting, and there were a handful of decent eps, but it just wasn't the same.

However, the final season was largely dreadful, and as much I loved the show a lot of the time over the years, I was glad to see it go. As a capper, the series ender was a real let down.

Chris Carter had bloated and padded the main mythology arc so much that it became ridiculous to follow, let alone try to explain to someone.

But, this is all just my opinion. You may love every second of it...

Last edited by Pointyskull; 04-07-04 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-07-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Humbug is my favorite, with Clyde Bruckman right up there and quite a few following after that. I even like Field Where I Died, although it's not a top tier episode.

As for where they were shot, I believe season 6 was the first shot in LA. It's not as good as previous seasons but it's no where near as bad as 8 and 9. I stopped buying them at season 5 and the movie, however.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.