Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

I'm losing a lot of shows this season.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-04, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm losing a lot of shows this season.

I can't remember the last time so many of my regularly viewed shows have joined hands and walked out on me.

Friends - Finishes up in May
Sex and the City - Finishes up in two weeks.
Ed - Not official, but it's dead.
Boston Public - Again, not official, but they stopped production in the middle of the freakin season. If that's not a death sentence, I don't know what is.
The Handler - Bad spot, Fridays at 10.
ER - Still on the air, of course, but dead to me.

On the other hand, I have Whoopi, Joan of Arcadia, and Line of Fire as new shows that I watch. I've also finally started watching Third Watch. How many years has that been on the air?
Old 02-08-04, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I also haven't watched much of Third Watch. But every now and again I watch one and it is excellent every time. I would probably blind buy this one if it came out on dvd.

I can't remember a time when I watched less tv. Well hooked on a show that I can't miss.(i.e. record regularly) I only have 4 shows that are can't miss in my book. (Friends, Scrubs, ER & 24) NYPDBlue left me a couple of years ago when Rick Schroeder called it quits. X-files went off a few years ago. The Practice went off the deep end a few seasons ago.
Old 02-08-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I never watched a lot of shows to begin with. After Seinfeld ended, all I bothered with was X-Files, Friends, Frasier, and Simpsons.

Now figure in the fact that I haven't watched Friends and Frasier in two years and X-Files and is kaput, then that really frees up my schedule. 'Course now, I'm actually starting to watch reality shows like American Idol, Apprentice, and My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance. I've never bothered with these kinds of shows before, so it's kind of strange I'm watching three now. What gives?
Old 02-08-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Re: I'm losing a lot of shows this season.

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Third Watch. How many years has that been on the air?
This is the fifth year. I started watching it during the second season and have been hooked ever since.

Friends and Ed are the only shows I will be losing, and thankfully the former is finally pulling the plug.

I had watched Boston Public since day one, but I quit before the start of this season because I was just sick of the show getting worse and worse every season.

Quit watching The Handler after a couple of months.

I need some of the long-running shows I watch to end anyhow, because during the last year I have started to watch plenty of new shows.

I think ER will be done after next season. I still like it, but it's about time.
Old 02-09-04, 12:26 AM

Re: Re: I'm losing a lot of shows this season.

Originally posted by B.A.hist

I think ER will be done after next season. I still like it, but it's about time. [/B]

i don't er will ends its run for another five years. they ratings are still solid, plus this year they introduced tons of new characters.
Old 02-09-04, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Friends and possibly ST: Enterprise this year. I hope that it's all rumors about Enterprise, though.
Old 02-09-04, 12:35 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Re: Re: Re: I'm losing a lot of shows this season.

Originally posted by tucker
i don't er will ends its run for another five years. they ratings are still solid, plus this year they introduced tons of new characters.
I don't know if it will be 5 years but I don't see it ending anytime soon. NBC is going to need it to anchor the end of Thursday night since CBS will probably own the first two hours unless Joey is a success. Without A Trace would probably take over the 10ET timeslot without ER.
Old 02-09-04, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Last year hurt.

Buffy and then OZ.

Stopped watching E.R. when Clooner and Marguiles left.
I stopped watching Friends when I broke up with my ex-girlfriend.

Now I think my tastes have gotten worse but there is still some good stuff.

Sopranos
The Shield
Real World/Road Rules Challenge
Curb Your Enthusiasm
CSI Miami
CSI Vegas

Sometimes I'll watch Survivor or Idol.
Old 02-09-04, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: I'm losing a lot of shows this season.

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
...Line of Fire
Actually, that one is gone, well, on the "hiatus" list (same list as The Handler and Threat Matrix) since NYPD Blue is back... No word on if it will return.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/go...k=all&status=2

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 02-09-04 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-09-04, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Of that list, only Ed mattered to me.

King of Queens is riding high.
That 70's Show is still on for another season. Too bad there's always some scheduling conflict and I can't watch it.
Then there's all the seasonal reality stuff like American Idol and the fabulous Amazing Race and the craziness that is Big Brother.
Old 02-09-04, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Re: I'm losing a lot of shows this season.

Originally posted by tucker
Originally posted by MrX
I don't know if it will be 5 years but I don't see it ending anytime soon. NBC is going to need it to anchor the end of Thursday night since CBS will probably own the first two hours unless Joey is a success. Without A Trace would probably take over the 10ET timeslot without ER.
I wouldn't expect them to end it anytime soon, I just think it's about time for them to do so. I still love the show, but all good things must come to an end and I hope NBC does it sooner rather than later. I don't think introducing a bunch of new characters necessarily means it will be around longer. Usually shows seem to die faster when they shuffle the cast, ER is just one of the few that could be seen as an exception.

MrX - you're right in regards to Thursday nights. If NBC doesn't have anything else to grab the ratings away from CBS, this show isn't going anywhere.
Old 02-09-04, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I've lost/losing:

Boomtown
S&TC
Playmakers
The Handler
Skin
The Lyon's Den
Boston Public
Old 02-09-04, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot about CSI. So I am up to 5.
Old 02-09-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Red Dog
I've lost/losing:

Boomtown
I forgot about Boomtown.
Old 02-09-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't follow anything anymore. The last show I followed was the Shield. I usually watch late night re-runs of Frazier and Seinfeld and thats it. I have not been impressed with the Sci Fi channel for some time and Enterprise just plane sucks.

For someone that has lived in front of a tv for decades, too all of a sudden just stop watching, tells you something. Either tv is really bad or I have a life now.
Old 02-09-04, 10:42 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
My list:

Boomtown
Ed
Sex and the City
Karen Sisco
LA Dragnet
Arrested Development (highly doubt this will return)
Old 02-09-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Oh yeah - I forgot about L.A. Dragnet.
Old 02-09-04, 11:19 AM
Retired

Ed and Boomtown for me.

But given that those, along with ER and Chapelles Show, are the only shows I watched regularly, I just lost half my non-sports/news/random channel flipping viewing time.
Old 02-09-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Geofferson
My list:

Karen Sisco
I'm still miffed about that one.
Old 02-09-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
If this keeps up, I'll have nothing left to watch pretty soon. So far I've lost:

Boomtown
Ed
Sex & the City
Miss Match (we'll wait and see about this one)
Around the Horn (if ESPN doesn't renew Kellerman's contract)
Enterprise (who are we kidding; this show is dead)

Does anybody know how long Six Feet Under is going to last? I seem to remember some talk awhile ago that the show would only last a couple more seasons at best.
Old 02-09-04, 12:44 PM

this still might be the last year for cbs's heavyweight Everybody loves Ramon
Old 02-09-04, 12:56 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Next year is it for NYPD Blue

www.zap2it.com
'NYPD Blue' Will End After Dirty Dozen
(Monday, February 09 10:23 AM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - When it began in 1993, Steven Bochco's "NYPD Blue" drew immediate notice for its graphic language, violence and sexuality. When the police drama returns next year for its 12th and final season, perhaps it will drama most of its notice for its longevity.
ABC announced on Monday (Feb. 9) that the one-time Emmy winner for outstanding drama will be back next season, bringing the series to a satisfying end for viewers.

"There are very few dramas that are good enough to deserve a 12th season, but 'NYPD Blue' set the benchmark for quality programming when it launched back in 1993," says ABC Entertainment President Susan Lyne. "We were proud to be its network home then, and we couldn't be happier knowing that Steven, Dennis and the rest of the talented cast and crew will continue to make us proud for a 12th year."

"NYPD Blue" was created by Bochco and David Milch and won the Emmy's top drama prize in 1995. Along the way, the series has also picked up multiple writing and directing Emmys as well as four trophies for star Dennis Franz.
"We are all in agreement that the 12th season should be thought of as our final season and creatively energize ourselves towards that end," Bochco says. "Should we do brilliantly, and circumstances change, we would be delighted to revisit the possibility of life beyond 12 seasons. However, to go out after 12 strong years is great, as it's better to go out too early rather than overstay our welcome."
Old 02-09-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Hopefully Alias won't be added to that list.
Old 02-09-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally posted by juiio
Please don't say that, it makes me nervous.
Old 02-09-04, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by juiio
ABC made statement last month stating that Alias has been pick up for next year and j garner will be getting raise per episode.

i happy with that decision

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.