Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Peter Jackson wins at DGA awards!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-04, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's the story. So does this cement his chances at the Oscars?
Old 02-08-04, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I have said...there is no other director in the world who could have done what Jackson did. I will not be totally surprised/disappointed if the film loses Best Picture, but if PJ loses Best Director, it's not an 'oversight,' it's a travesty.

The DGA win makes it very likely that the director's section of the Academy will agree that this is a landmark, awards-worthy achievement in filmmaking.

I think it is also worth mentioning that this is Jackson's third nomination in three years. ROTK is 3/3 for LOTR films nominated for Best Pic!
Old 02-08-04, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Great news.

Maybe now the public will decide to see this charming small film
Old 02-08-04, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Interesting that PJ has a rep of being a relatively relaxed man as a director and has made some of the most impressive movies of all time that make money and win awards.

Compare him with Michael Bay, who has a reputation of being a jerk. Guess you reap what you sow.
Old 02-11-04, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
odd, I'm sure I in no way said that LOTR would win all it's awards in ROTK..

if anyone thinks LOTR and Jackson will NOT take the oscar, then you have to be smoking something.
Old 02-11-04, 01:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Interesting that PJ has a rep of being a relatively relaxed man as a director and has made some of the most impressive movies of all time that make money and win awards.

Compare him with Michael Bay, who has a reputation of being a jerk. Guess you reap what you sow.

Yes, but Jackson started out by making no-name movies that didn't make money at all, if they were even shown outside of New Zealand when they were first released. LOTR was his first big moneymaker.

Michael Bay started as a hired gun who happened to be working on mega-budget films.
Old 02-11-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Suprmallet
Yes, but Jackson started out by making no-name movies that didn't make money at all, if they were even shown outside of New Zealand when they were first released. LOTR was his first big moneymaker.

Michael Bay started as a hired gun who happened to be working on mega-budget films.

All the more reason that PJ has accomplished something. The fact that Bay was handed the keys to mega-budget films doesn't indicate greatness in the slightest. Besides, I was talking about attitudes toward the business. PJ seems like someone who legitimatley loves movies while Bay seems out to get the bucks, booze, and babes.
Now, if PJ suddenly dumps the woman he writes and makes movies with for Naomi Watts I might think different. Until then, he's the man!
Old 02-11-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well when you work at it and work up the ladder, I'm sure you will appreciate every chance you have to make a film opposed to being assigned as a director of a big budget film and have a hit and miss ratio like bay does. He see's the next project as the next project while someone like jackson might see it as something to get devoted about.
Old 02-11-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Right, and PJ also knew where to stop in LOTR. While it was in the book, having the Scouring of the Shire would have been like waiting until the third act to invade the country of Cuba....
Old 02-11-04, 04:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry if anyone misunderstood me, I'm saying that it's BECAUSE of Jackson's small movies that he is the down to earth guy we know and love. He did his time in the trenches, and now he can play with the big boys.

Michael Bay's attitude stems from his being hired to do big movies from the get-go.
Old 02-11-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh...so you agree with me then. Great.