Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Box Office Mojo's movie reviews (?)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Have you ever seen the movie reviews on Box Office Mojo? And if so, do you find them to be a little, well, off? I mean, "LOTR:ROTK" , "Big Fish" and "Master and Commander" all get a B rating, and "Win a Date with Brad Hamilton" gets a B+ (!?) Interesting.
Old 02-05-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
The joy of opinion.

You gotta note that the review for those movies is different than the Tad Hamilton one. That's why I sort of prefer singular person review sites, since you get a feel for their "taste".
Old 02-06-04, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I haven't read the reviews there, but who are you to say that the reviewer should have enjoyed/rated one movie higher than the other.

Just like the guy in the cubicle next to yours at work, no reviewer is going to match up to how you would rate movies.
Old 02-07-04, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't find any review for Brad Hamilton on their site. How odd...
Old 02-07-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by clemente
I haven't read the reviews there, but who are you to say that the reviewer should have enjoyed/rated one movie higher than the other.

Just like the guy in the cubicle next to yours at work, no reviewer is going to match up to how you would rate movies.

Oh do forgive me clemente. I thought this was a discussion group . It was just an observation. That three of the year's highest rated films rated lower than "Hamilton". What in the world was I thinking!?
Old 02-07-04, 08:29 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
That Brad Hamilton movie sounds great, but none of the theaters here have heard of it. Did a search on Fandango, but nobody's showing it in the country?
Old 02-08-04, 11:11 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I’m no fan either, but for entirely different reasons. The ROTK stuff doesn’t bother me… That’s just opinion at work.

But I made the full court press to be a critic on the site last fall, when they had nothing to show for themselves. And they blew me off. Then, all of a sudden, they got one of their internal guys, Scott Holleran, to start writing reviews. It could be the paranoia talking, but I think I gave them the idea to really pursue reviewing. Who knows…

Holleran lost me when he dropped the F on ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO, and I think the site suffers greatly from his critiques.