Tru Calling -- "the Longest Day" 02.05.2004

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the Longest Day

Multiple crises beset Tru on a “redo day” that plays over and over, complicating her efforts to help a desperate father (Alec Newman), who resorts to robbery to save his critically ill child. Luc: Matthew Bomer. Patricia: Eileen Pedde. Linda: Dena Ashbaugh.
Though I realized that there would be more than one rewind [based on the way they were over-emphasizing things, it wasn't too bad.

Harrison had some good lines..
Old 02-05-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Fun episode. That was a good twist - I had forgotten about the call the policeman receives on the radio about the robbery in progress. Of course, once the father got stabbed, it was easy to see what Tru's purpose was in this one.
Old 02-05-04, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like this episode a lot too. Sad ending but satisfying.
Old 02-05-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Good show and glad they aren't going with the exact same formula every week.

This could yet turn into the caliber of similarly themed shows like Quantum Leap and Early Edition.
Old 02-05-04, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i really liked this episode. Some good one liners and i really became attached to the father for some reason...I felt pretty sad at the end. I thought it was the best episode so far and am glad it wasn't the same formula again. anyone know how this show is doing in ratings? has it gotten better...do they plan on bringing it back next season?
Old 02-06-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by xDareDevilx
anyone know how this show is doing in ratings? has it gotten better...do they plan on bringing it back next season?
Well, it's up against the two-headed Goliath of "supersized" Friends and Survivor All-Stars, which combine for a 41 share . But it did beat SmackDown! this week, which it didn't used to do, IIRC. (though I don't know by how much)

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve...1,1002,272_617|86184|1|,00.html
Old 02-06-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Pretty good episode - it's hard to do different things w/ the show's formula, but this little twist was fairly successful.

I kept noticing the call on the patrolman's radio and I was wondering when that was going to come into play.

Harrison is becoming one of the more entertaining parts of the show.

No Lindsey this ep.
Old 02-07-04, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally posted by B.A.hist
No Lindsey this ep.
... she'll be centered on next week's episode.
... but might Die.

A.J. Cook=
Old 02-07-04, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by gerrythedon
... she'll be centered on next week's episode.
... but might Die.

A.J. Cook=
Don't kill Lindsey. Lindsey and Tru together make the show double
Old 02-08-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I enjoyed the recursive rewind day that enabled Tru to finally get it right. I do like how she thinks past the obstacles of her prescient dreams. I kept thinking that skaterboy might have become the donor, but the writers went for the heartstrings with Michael's sacrifice for her daughter.

What I hope that doesn't happen is what happened to John Doe, where if the show is cancelled, at least tell us the connection between Davis, and Tru's calling before the show ends for good.
Old 02-10-04, 12:17 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
I just got around to watching the ep.

I thought it was probably the best ep of the series. I liked the multiple rewinds and agree the ending was sad.

Davis and Harrison were pretty funny in their scenes together.
Old 02-10-04, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can someone explain the shrimp salad sandwich to me? How does Tru know it is bad? The 1st time it is mentioned to Davis, she simply tells him to put it down and then Harrison eats it after a rewind and gets ill. What did I miss?
Old 02-10-04, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by rfduncan
Can someone explain the shrimp salad sandwich to me? How does Tru know it is bad? The 1st time it is mentioned to Davis, she simply tells him to put it down and then Harrison eats it after a rewind and gets ill. What did I miss?
At the very beginning, before the day started replaying, Davis got sick from the sandwich.
Old 02-10-04, 10:56 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
What I hope that doesn't happen is what happened to John Doe, where if the show is cancelled, at least tell us the connection between Davis, and Tru's calling before the show ends for good.
Spoilers, based on my own theories, not any inside info:

Spoiler:
Tru's mom could do the same thing Tru could do. She saved Davis's life, and Davis knew about what Mom could do (and may have even played the same supporting role he plays for Tru).
Old 02-11-04, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally posted by JasonFliegel
Spoilers, based on my own theories, not any inside info:

Spoiler:
Tru's mom could do the same thing Tru could do. She saved Davis's life, and Davis knew about what Mom could do (and may have even played the same supporting role he plays for Tru).
actually other people have posted this before on these threads.
Old 02-11-04, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
I hope the same thing. However, I think we can relax about the show staying on the air for at least a complete season since they bothered shelling out cash to add
Spoiler:
Jason Piestly
to the cast in future episodes this season (which could mean bad things if they're willing to tamper with the existing formula by adding a character).

Spoiler:
From TVTome: "Priestley will play Jack Harper, a new forensics attendant at the morgue where Tru Davies works. Although he seems like a nice guy, he has a secret that may hinder Tru's ability to go backwards in time to save people who die unjustly." His appearance is a 7 episode story arc.

Last edited by rfduncan; 02-11-04 at 08:09 AM.