Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Miike...is that all you got?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-04, 11:44 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading through a few threads here about Miike and his outrageous movies I decided to check out a few of them to see what the fuss was all about. So far I have been able to watch City of Lost Souls, Dead or Alive(R-rated...it'a all local video store had) and Ichi the Killer (Unrated...just joined Netflix). I found these movies to be quite interesting...a bit boring in the case of the first two, but definately worthy of a watch. Miike definately has style and talent to spare. My reaction after watching the much heralded Ichi was "that's it?" I was prepared to be disgusted and shocked...I was instead amused and pleasantly surprised by how cool the whole movie was, but offensive and "hard to watch" it was not. The violence never even seemed to reach the level of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Now maybe this would be shocking to some, but neither myself or my fiance flinched at all during this movie. Anyway, just a personal observation. I have more Miike on the way...tonight it is Audition. Thanks to all in this forum that provide such an interesting read...and for the introduction to such unique and talented director. BTW, any other suggestions for "hard to watch" or gory movies...Dead Alive being king so far in the gory category...but that is all in good fun.
Old 02-05-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tip of the iceberg . . .

Haven't seen City of Lost Souls, but I consider the Dead or Alive series to be more interesting in their parts than a whole (the bittersweet Dead or Alive 2 being the standout). But you aren't ready for Audition, which is quite different from anything else, much more psychological. Visitor Q, my favorite of his, is the closest he comes to resembling the finest films of Bunuel. And Happiness of the Katakuris is just plain giddy, especially if you're familiar with Miike's hodgepodge style. There's another one, Fudoh, which is just a twisted yakuza film, but fun in itself (more akin to Dead or Alive).

He's got this almost matter-of-fact approach to over-the-top violence I like. Parts are stylized, yes, but there's usually something lurking underneath.
Old 02-05-04, 12:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by sundog
But you aren't ready for Audition, which is quite different from anything else, much more psychological.

Tedious and overrated are two other adjectives I also attribute to Audition. Let us know what you think of the film after you watch tonight.
Old 02-05-04, 12:15 PM

Re: Miike...is that all you got?

Originally posted by SpaceGhoster
BTW, any other suggestions for "hard to watch" or gory movies...Dead Alive being king so far in the gory category...but that is all in good fun.
hmm.. let's see.

Hard to Watch
"In a Glass Cage"
"Irreversible"
"Funny Games"
"Man Bites Dog"

Gory Movies
"Rikki-Oh: The Story of Ricky" (OTT silly gore)
"Lone Wolf and Cub"
"Demons"
"Men Behind the Sun"

Just plain wierd
"Society" (think Miike directing a very surreal sick episode of Beverly Hills 90210)

Last edited by Giles; 02-05-04 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-05-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Get a copy of Salo. That's hard to watch.

Audition had a much stronger effect on me in the theaters than at home. Its power was definitely weakened on the small screen. Plus I didn't know what to expect going into Audition since it was my first Miike experience.
Old 02-05-04, 12:40 PM

I found the first twenty minutes of 'Audition' v-e-r-y slow, I had a real hard time trying to stay awake. (and yes I also saw this in the theatre - if I had seen it at home, I would have slept through it all). Audition is definately not idealy the first film to be introduced to Miike and his niche-genre.
Old 02-05-04, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by Giles
I found the first twenty minutes of 'Audition' v-e-r-y slow, I had a real hard time trying to stay awake. (and yes I also saw this in the theatre - if I had seen it at home, I would have slept through it all). Audition is definately not idealy the first film to be introduced to Miike and his niche-genre.
Audition was the film that turned me on to Miike. I think Audition has to be slow, it has to take you out of the mindset of what the movie actually is. Even with knowing what happens at the end while you are watching it you tend to not exactly forget, but not think about what is coming. Then the pay off happens. I think Audition was purposefully laid out the way it was and masterfully so.

Ichi does not blow you away gore/disgust-wise in my opinion. I think it is very dependent on what your history is with film. If you are a big fan of gore movies than it isn't anything new really. Great movie though, and it is especially cool that the title of the film is written in
Spoiler:
someone's jizz
...the Miike touch.

Visitor Q would be the "whoa" film IMO. He touches upon every taboo (and then some) in that film.
Old 02-05-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
...oh, and to answer your original question, no - that's not all he's got. Since '91 he's directed the following:

Izô: Kaosu mataha fujôri no kijin (2004) (completed)
Zeburaaman (2004)
Chakushin ari (2003)
... aka You've Got a Call (2003) (Japan: English title)
Kôshônin (2003) (TV)
Kikoku (2003) (V)
Gokudô kyôfu dai-gekijô: Gozu (2003)
Yurusarezaru mono (2003)
... aka Man in White, The (2003) (International: English title)
Jitsuroku Andô Noboru kyôdô-den: Rekka (2002)
... aka Deadly Outlaw: Rekka (2002) (International: English title)
Pandoora (2002) (V)
Kin'yuu hametsu Nippon: Tôgenkyô no hito-bito (2002)
... aka Shangri-La (2002) (International: English title)
... aka Tôgenkyô (2002) (Japan: short title)
Shin jingi no hakaba (2002)
... aka Graveyard of Honor (2002) (Japan: English title)
Sabu (2002) (TV)
Onna kunishuu ikki (2002)
Dead or Alive: Final (2002)
Kikuchi-jô monogatari - sakimori-tachi no uta (2001)
Zuiketsu gensô - Tonkararin yume densetsu (2001)
Katakuri-ke no kôfuku (2001)
... aka Happiness of the Katakuris, The (2001) (Japan: English title)
Araburu tamashii-tachi (2001)
... aka Agitator (2001)
... aka Outlaw Souls, The (2001) (poster title)
Koroshiya 1 (2001)
... aka Ichi the Killer (2001) (International: English title)
Bizita Q (2001)
... aka Love Cinema Vol. 6 (2001) (International: English title: series title)
... aka Visitor Q (2002) (International: English title)
Family (2001/II)
... aka Family 2 (2001) (Japan: video title (second part title))
Tsukamoto Shin'ya ga Ranpo suru (2000) (V)
... aka Making of 'Gemini', The (2000) (V) (informal English title)
Dead or Alive 2: Tôbôsha (2000)
... aka Dead or Alive 2: Birds (2000)
Tengoku kara kita otoko-tachi (2000)
... aka Guys from Paradise, The (2000)
Hyôryuu-gai (2000)
... aka City of Last Souls, The (2000) (Hong Kong: English title: DVD title)
... aka City of Lost Souls, The (2001) (USA)
... aka City of Strangers, The (2000) (International: English title)
... aka Hazard City, The (2000)
"Tajuu jinkaku tantei saiko - Amamiya Kazuhiko no kikan" (2000) (mini) TV Series
... aka "MPD Psycho" (2000) (mini)
... aka "Multiple Personality Detective Psycho - Kazuhiko Amamiya Returns" (2000) (mini) (Japan: English title)
Oodishon (2000)
... aka Ôdishon (2000) (Japan: alternative transliteration)
... aka Audition (2001) (International: English title)
Tennen shôjo Man next: Yokohama hyaku-ya hen (1999) (TV)
... aka N-Girls Vs Vampire (1999) (TV) (USA: informal English title)
Sarariiman Kintarô (1999)
... aka Salaryman Kintaro (1999)
Dead or Alive: Hanzaisha (1999)
... aka Dead or Alive (2001) (USA)
Silver - shirubaa (1999) (V)
Nihon kuroshakai (1999)
... aka Ley Lines (1999)
"Tennen shôjo Man" (1999) (mini) TV Series
... aka "Man, a Natural Girl" (1999) (mini) (Japan: English title)
Blues Harp (1998)
Kishiwada shônen gurentai: Bôkyô (1998)
Andoromedeia (1998)
... aka Andromedia (1998) (International: English title)
Chuugoku no chôjin (1998)
... aka Bird People in China, The (1998) (International: English title)
Gokudô kuroshakai (1997)
... aka Rainy Dog (1997)
Full Metal gokudô (1997) (V)
... aka Full Metal Yakuza (1997) (V)
Jingi naki yabô 2 (1997) (V)
Kishiwada shônen gurentai: Chikemuri junjô-hen (1997)
Gokudô sengokushi: Fudô (1996)
... aka Fudoh: The New Generation (1996) (USA)
Kenka no hanamichi: Oosaka saikyô densetsu (1996) (V)
Rakkasei: Piinattsu (1996) (V)
Jingi naki yabô (1996) (V)
Shin daisan no gokudô II (1996) (V)
Shin daisan no gokudô - boppatsu Kansai gokudô sensô (1996) (V)
Shinjuku kuroshakai: Chaina mafia sensô (1995)
... aka Shinjuku Triad Society (1995)
Naniwa yuukyôden (1995) (V)
Bodigaado Kiba: Shura no mokushiroku 2 (1995) (V)
Daisan no gokudô (1995) (V)
Bodigaado Kiba: Shura no mokushiroku (1994) (V)
Shinjuku autoroo (1994) (V)
... aka Shinjuku Outlaw (1994) (V)
Oretachi wa tenshi ja nai 2 (1993) (V)
Oretachi wa tenshi ja nai (1993) (V)
Bodigaado Kiba (1993) (V)
... aka Bodyguard Kiba (1993) (V) (USA)
Ningen kyôki: Ai to ikari no ringu (1992) (V)
... aka Human Murder Weapon, A (1992) (V) (Japan: English title)
Rasuto ran: Ai to uragiri no hyaku-oku en - shissô Feraari 250 GTO (1991) (TV)
Redi hantaa: Koroshi no pureryuudo (1991) (V)
Toppuu! Minipato tai - Aikyacchi Jankushon (1991) (V)

I wish more of his work would make it to the US.
Old 02-05-04, 01:54 PM

I found the first twenty minutes of 'Audition' v-e-r-y slow, I had a real hard time trying to stay awake.
Slow? This from the man who had To Be and To Have in his top five last year . . . heh. Though, it may be safe to say Audition is overrated. Anything that has its reputation precede it chances that.

If you can find it, in any form, check out (or at least take note of) the French film In My Skin. I don't get squirmy in theaters often, but this tale of a woman discovering the joys(?) of self-mutilation is maddeningly effective, top-notch psychodrama.

off-topic: Giles, saw The Tracker again last night, just as good the second time through . . .
Old 02-05-04, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by sundog
Slow? This from the man who had To Be and To Have in his top five last year . . . heh. Though, it may be safe to say Audition is overrated. Anything that has its reputation precede it chances that.

If you can find it, in any form, check out (or at least take note of) the French film In My Skin. I don't get squirmy in theaters often, but this tale of a woman discovering the joys(?) of self-mutilation is maddeningly effective, top-notch psychodrama.

off-topic: Giles, saw The Tracker again last night, just as good the second time through . . .
okay, "To Be and to Have" was in my top five because I was a teacher and worked with children that age, the reason why I enjoyed that film was how it related to me personally. Pacing was never an issue for me in that film.

'Audition' - on the other hand the premise and build-up is tough and while necessary took a little getting use to, but this is where I felt the movie was slightly flawed. "Audition" was the first Miike film I was introduced to, so I am glad that I have had the chance to see other films of his - I agree with you that "Dead or Alive 2: Birds" was unique and in my opinion: my favourite of the three. "Katakuris" was just plain silly but entertaining nonetheless.
Old 02-05-04, 02:24 PM

okay, "To Be and to Have" was in my top five because I was a teacher and worked with children that age, the reason why I enjoyed that film was how it related to me personally. Pacing was never an issue for me in that film.
Wow, that response was totally unexpected. Apologies then, if I raised your ire. I was just amused that, with the movies you've liked, your definition of a "slow movie" would make Audition look like a Michael Bay picture (that's how it is with me anyway).
Old 02-10-04, 12:09 PM
Cool New Member

Well, I watched "Fudoh: The New Generation" and "Happiness of the Katakuris" this weekend. First off, let me say that "Happiness" was one wacky movie. The first musical number had me wide eyed with disbelief...it was so odd and out of place, but hugely entertaining. The son and all of his Marital Arts poses were cracking me up. Highly recommended to those who enjoy a truly bizarre romp. On a side note, the video quality of that movie was stunning. The filmed live action parts were a bit washed out, but this was fairly obviously the film, but the detail and smoothness of the image was excellent. The real standout was the claymation, the picture was so incredibly detailed on my projector. Blows away most of the Hollywood stuff I get on DVD.

Now for "Fudoh"...another yakuza film, but for some reason it entertained me a bit more than "Dead or Alive" and even "Ichi." A fun movie with some really bizarre stuff going on. Not as gory as his other yakuza stuff that I have seen, but the audacity of the film was right on for me. For anyone who has seen it, the scene between the blow dart girl and the teacher...WOW...really bizarre...but cool anyway. As for the picture quality in "Fudoh", it sucked. Non-anamorphic, very low budget looking, with artifacts everywhere, but it still didn't take me out of the movie.

I am waiting to watch Audition with my fiancé, who knows nothing about it...I'll post again soon with my thoughts.

Last edited by SpaceGhoster; 02-10-04 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-10-04, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I wish I couldve gone to one of the nights of the San Francisco Indie Film Fest and seen Miike's new film GOZU, anyone seen it? I hear it's not like the stuff he's known for.