Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Any word on more Looney Tunes collections?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm working my way through the *amazing* Looney Tunes Golden Collection, but there's so much more that I remember and would like to have. Any word on a second collection (and what shorts might be on it?). Thanks!
Old 02-04-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking the same thing last night after I finished every last drop of Looney Tunes goodness from the Golden Collection. I know it takes a long time to restore and produce these deluxe sets, but I'm definitely jonesing for more!
Old 02-04-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by The Exister
I'm definitely jonesing for more!
Chuck Jonesing?
Old 02-06-04, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually was wondering this as well. The Golden Collection is terrific! But I want it alllllllll! Maybe we'll get something in a year... maybe...
Old 02-06-04, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought I could ration these out, at least until a second collection was announced, but it's just too easy to get carried away and race through the collection.

More... we need more....
Old 02-06-04, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes - there will be a second collection. An interview at the HTF said this exact thing.
Old 02-06-04, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The Looney Tunes Golden collection was worth every penny. I hope they have more releases in the future. I know for a fact there's still great shorts out there that could be put into a great set. What about all the rest of the Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote cartoons? How about the one where bugs is playing the piano and that mouse and messing with him the entire time, that's a classic! I have a feeling that maybe in a year or so... we'll see another great set.
Old 02-06-04, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mzupeman2
I have a feeling that maybe in a year or so... we'll see another great set.
Another November release would make sense, giving them time to put together another great package and time it for the holiday season again.
I'm anticipating that when the selection list is released, there'll still be posts and complaints of "Two releases and they still don't have _____________? That's a classic and my favorite! How dare they overlook it twice?"
I'm hoping they dig up more obscure gold like the Bugs Bunny appearances in live-action movies and old commercials.
Old 02-06-04, 10:23 AM

I really enjoyed the Looney Tunes Golden Collection, I especially loved the documentries, but one question keeps on coming to mind, what are they going to title the second Looney Tunes Golden Collection? Looney Tunes Golden Collection II?

Say what you want about Disney, but they had the foresite to call their collections Walt Disney Treasures and focus on a different time span and subject for each one. How many Looney Tunes collections can you bill as Golden Collections?

Paul
Old 02-06-04, 11:01 AM
Banned

I heard the next release will be in November. They're trying to make it an annual thing.
Old 02-06-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by jayson1017
I heard the next release will be in November. They're trying to make it an annual thing.
Can't wait. I hope that it includes my personal favorite short - the one where Yosemite Sam is the king of the castle! I have that on my old Fisher Price projector!
Old 02-06-04, 03:31 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Agreed this is/was a very nice collection. My favorite thing about it is that my 4 year old and 19 month old LOVE ALL OF THESE!!

When I ask my 4 year what she wants to watch on TV during TV time she almost always asks for the Looney Tunes or Tom & Jerry!

So bring in it on WB, my house is READY!!

Greg
Old 02-06-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by mzupeman2
How about the one where bugs is playing the piano and that mouse and messing with him the entire time, that's a classic!
Sure that's not Tom & Jerry you're thinking of? I just saw this the other day on TCM. Tom the concert pianist trying to play the Hungarian Rhapsody with Jerry driving him bonkers. Brilliant stuff.

I want an entire volume of Wile E. Coyote toons. He's my favorite of the bunch.
Old 02-06-04, 03:47 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does the LT Gold Collection include everything from the other current releases like the Premier eidition, etc?
Old 02-07-04, 03:35 PM

Bugs and Tom and Jerry both did the same thing. I loved them both.
Old 02-07-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Originally posted by PaulNJ21
I really enjoyed the Looney Tunes Golden Collection, I especially loved the documentries, but one question keeps on coming to mind, what are they going to title the second Looney Tunes Golden Collection? Looney Tunes Golden Collection II?

Say what you want about Disney, but they had the foresite to call their collections Walt Disney Treasures and focus on a different time span and subject for each one. How many Looney Tunes collections can you bill as Golden Collections?

Paul
As many as there are numbers, and people willing to buy them... The laserdisc sets were called "The Golden Age of Looney Tunes Vols. 1-5" and each had ~72 cartoons on 10 sides.
Old 02-07-04, 05:00 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Yes, the Golden Collection contains EVERYTHING from the Premier Collection. You don't need to buy both. They put out the 2-disc with nearly no features and the feature-packed 4-disc (which also cost about twice as much) and the 4-disc set outsold the 2-disc ten to one.

Thankfully.

So now WB gets the message, it seems: we want, and will pay for more of these sets.

But with 1,100 cartoons it will take them over 20 years to release them all if they only put out a 52-cartoon collection a year.

As much as I'd love for them to "step up" releases, I also don't want them to skimp on quality and features. But if they're selling well, they may be able to put more people on the restoration and documentary building, and put out two sets a year.
Old 02-19-04, 10:17 PM

I wonder how long it actually takes WB to restore each short, and if that is the actual delay, or are they simply waiting to see how much the Golden Collection will actually sell before they decide whether to release any future DVDs, or at least give us a release date? I too would love to own all 1,100 shorts, but think waiting 20 yrs to get them may be a bit too much.

CP
Old 02-20-04, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Cocopugg
I too would love to own all 1,100 shorts, but think waiting 20 yrs to get them may be a bit too much.

CP
I bet we get all of the Looney Tunes shorts before we get the entire run of The Simpsons