Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Fox's Latino Titles- batch 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fox's Latino Titles- batch 2

Here's the cover work for the 3 new Latino titles that came out today.(Fox)

synopsis (dvdtimes)

"Herode's Law (La Ley de Herodes) - Mexico, 1949. The fable of a janitor turned mayor on a little town lost in the Mexican desert, who gradually realizes how far his new acquainted power and corruption can get him. After the corrupt former mayor is killed by the peasants, poor janitor Juan Vargas is appointed new mayor of a desert town in central Mexico. Although he tries to bring the motto of the ruling party to town (modernity, peace and progress) he realizes soon that there's nothing to do against corruption…except to become corrupt. Step by step, helped by his pistol, Juan Vargas becomes the law and the worst major in the town's history.

Leaving Without a Trace (Sin Dejar Huella) - Aurelia is a single mother who ditches her factory job and drug-dealing boyfriend, and Ana is a smooth-talking smuggler of a fake Mayan artefacts fleeing a corrupt cop. When they cross paths at a truck stop in the dusty Mexican border town of Ciudad Juarez, the two decide to travel together to the Yucatan in search of freedom and friendship. Winner of the Latin American Cinema Award at the 2001 Sundance Film Festival. This is a smartly- written and visually-sumptuous road movie about two women on the run. Written and directed by Maria Novaro (Danzon, The Garden of Eden). A hit at the 2002 San Diego Latino Film Festival!

Dust to Dust (Por La Libre) - Rodri and Rico are two cousins unalike in every way except for a shared contempt for their parents' values and a deep connection to their free spirited grandfather, Rodrigo. When Rodrigo dies unexpectedly, his yuppie children are more interested in quibbling about their inheritance than in fulfilling his last request. Determined to make things right, Rodri and Roco kidnap their grandfather's ashes and set off for sunny Acapulco in a vintage Mercedes. On the way, they learn about life and friendship and realize that their grandfather was more free-spirited than they could have imagined.
"
Old 02-04-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
La Ley de Herodes is great. I highly recommend it. Great black comedy/Satire. I've heard good things about the other films and they were shown locally at the San Diego Latino Film fest but I missed them. BTW, what was in batch 1?
Old 02-04-04, 02:59 PM

Ok, as far as I can tell Wave 1 consisted of

Santitos (1999)
Todo el poder (1999)
Pantaleon Y las Visitadoras (1999)

I've seen Todo El Poder but not the others.
Old 02-04-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Lucia Lucia is not technicaly part of the batch but I would consider it.
Old 02-06-04, 01:18 PM

Too bad Columbia House doesn't carry these.
Old 02-06-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I am very interested in Without a Trace but would like to see a review first before I buy it.

Lucia Lucia had a rather poor presentation regardless of what the DVDTALK review indicates.
Old 02-06-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

chente, good news and bad news. the good news is that columbia house seems to have the first batch

santitos #834010
pantaleon y las visitadoras #834028

I haven't checked for the other ones yet. The bad news is that they only have them in the music club just put the title in the "album" search. They have and are carying many latin/spanish movies (even the ones released by major studios) but only in the music club (musica latina).

they have:
talk to her
sex and lucia
why do they call it love when they mean sex
nine queens
son of the bride
santitos
la mujer de benjamin
things i left in havana
el amor perjudica seriamente a la salud
and the various cantinflas that are reviewed in the review section

among others stuff. If you belong to the latin side of the music club, there is always an insert with many latin/spanish films. too bad they don't seem to be in the regular dvd club.

Angel
Old 02-06-04, 06:34 PM

Buddhawake,

Thanks for the information. I probably won't join the music club. I'll just pick up the titles I want as they get their price drops.
Old 02-06-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
I am very interested in Without a Trace but would like to see a review first before I buy it.
Just received Without A Trace, and I'll be watching it this weekend.
I'll let you know............
Old 02-06-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

chente, I hear you. Just for anyone else, almost all of them are $14.98 (regular price) and according to the flyer they do count towards fullfilment and sales, etc. too bad for me since there is practically no CD I'm interested in that is $14.98 or less so i could get 2 for each dvd, else i have to pay full price and that is not a buyable option.

I'll look through to see if they have any of the new ones yet.

Angel
Old 02-06-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by 12thmonkey
Just received Without A Trace, and I'll be watching it this weekend.
I'll let you know............
O, thank you very much. Very kind of you!!
Old 02-26-04, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
O, thank you very much. Very kind of you!!
Finally got around to watching Novaro's Without a Trace (Sin Dejar Huella) last weekend.

It is a beautiful looking film, very lazily paced. The two leads are quite good, and they allowed me to easily overlook some of the contrived "suspense" elements built into the narrative.

better late than never, here's my full review - if you're bored:
Without A Trace
Old 02-07-05, 04:09 PM

Does anyone know where I could find a list of all of the Fox Cinema Latino titles that have been released? A bonus would be a site that has reviews of the available movies from the series. I've tried Fox's official site, but they only have a partial list.