neon genesis director's cut question

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-04, 03:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have noticed that there are director cuts of the neon genesis series coming out..well two so far.. I was wondering if anyone knew if the entire set was being re-released in director cuts? Thanks a bunch!!!
Old 02-04-04, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
only the last episodes got the directors cut because frankly, with animation it's hard to NOT get the directors vision the first time.

this is the same thing that was released some time ago in japan. Just some minor stuff added in. worth it if you are a fan, otherwise I would say it's nothing big.
Old 02-04-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Moving to DVD Talk Forum.

- David Stein
Old 02-04-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I remember correctly they came out with a really nice and really expensive remastered Dir Cut boxed set out in japan about a yr or 2 ago. I think it might have been a limited edition.

Don't expect any r1 director cuts any time soon. I belive Gainix wanted too much money for the rights.
Old 02-04-04, 01:32 PM

Don't expect any r1 director cuts any time soon. I belive Gainix wanted too much money for the rights.
The directors cut of NGE is already out (well 1 of the 2 disks) in R1. The limited Edition box set that was just released in Japan is called Revival, and while the boxset was limited the individual disks are not. Revival was more about fixing the jitter, cleaning up the print and adding a 5.1 track than making changes to the scene structure. Whether or not ADV/Manga will pick up the rights to the Revival masters is anyones guess.
Old 02-04-04, 02:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Corwyn
Whether or not ADV/Manga will pick up the rights to the Revival masters is anyones guess.
Well, the DC discs are claiming to be remastered (althout not in 5.1), so I presume those episodes are from the new Japanese discs. However, I seem to remember ADV announcing that they will not release the rest of the set remastered, because of market saturation.
Old 02-04-04, 02:38 PM

Nope,

NGE has masters for the original series, the directors cut, and Revival. ADV is releasing the DC masters (for the DC), so they are "remastered" from the original release (also redubbed in parts to fill in the holes of added footage).
Old 02-05-04, 12:30 AM

thanks for all your input
Old 02-05-04, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Suprmallet
Well, the DC discs are claiming to be remastered (althout not in 5.1), so I presume those episodes are from the new Japanese discs. However, I seem to remember ADV announcing that they will not release the rest of the set remastered, because of market saturation.
Since you are in the L.A. area, this may be of interest to you:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=344585
Old 02-05-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally posted by Suprmallet
Well, the DC discs are claiming to be remastered (althout not in 5.1), so I presume those episodes are from the new Japanese discs.
Nope, defintely not. The transfer looks better than ADV's original disc, but there's still lots of jitter and no 5.1. It certainly isn't the Revival restoration.
Old 02-05-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Man, I wish the revival red case made it state side.
Old 02-05-04, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Man, I wish the revival red case made it state side.
Tell me about it

I think we will eventually get the revival set here, but I 100% doubt that we will get anything near that packaging. At best we could hope for yet another Paul Champagne metal box.