Community
Search

The Transformers roll out one last time - March 9th

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-04, 09:33 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Transformers roll out one last time - March 9th

Nobody's mentioned this yet? It's old news, suckas!

In October-November of 1986, the last dozen or so episodes of The Transformers third season aired, and then the "G1" version of the show left U.S. airwaves...apparently for good. But that wasn't good enough for the people behind the show, who realized that the fans were upset. In the course of putting together Transformers: The Movie, the plan had been to "knock off" as many of the older characters as possible, in order to replace them with new characters.

But why the cold-blooded destruction? Well, The Transformers show was viewed as merely a big commercial for the hot-selling toy line, and new characters meant new toys. It was assumed that kids viewing the show, and the film, would merely pester Mom and Dad for the latest and greatest toys. The decision-makers on this didn't count on how beloved many of these deactivated characters had become to the fans.

Optimus Prime was the worst of the situation, and the powers-that-be recognized this. So, in March '87 an "addition" to the third season was released: a double-length episode titled "The Return of Optimus Prime". This epic was co-written by none other than Marv Wolfman. Long-time comic book readers will recognize that as one of the most respected names in the business, having written DC's Crisis on Infinite Earths and loads of Superman and Teen Titans stories, and having spent time at rival Marvel Comics as well...as their Editor-In-Chief! Wolfman had been involved with The Transformers since the first season; over time he had been a Writer, Story Editor, and Executive Consultant with the show. Here he, along with fellow writer Cherie Wilkerson (Ducktales, Batman: The Animated Series), were challenged to engineer the return of the most favorite Autobot of them all! But, IF Optimus Prime returned, would he again be a force for good? Would he be the genuine article? Would he be the same as he once was? Or is it all a bizarre trap, to lead to the ultimate destruction of every Transformer on Earth?

For the first time ever, "The Return of Optimus Prime" comes to DVD, along with a dozen more episodes from the end of Season 3. To complete the deal, the three episodes that aired as "Season 4" in the United States before the show was finally cancelled - which already are on DVD in the 2001 Rhino release Transformers: Heroes - are being rolled into this package. This will make fans very happy who wanted every episode of the "G1" series in consistant packaging.

On March 9th, be the first on your block to own The Original Transformers - Season 3, Part 2/Season 4. This compilation has an SRP of $49.95 for 3 DVDs of programming, running at or about 390 minutes. The "original audio" option is again included, as is a remixed 5.1 Surround Sound audio option. Video is 4x3 as always. Exclusive bonus materials will be on the set, but this is the only portion of the release which Rhino has yet to announce. Here are the exact episodes included:

Season 3 (Part 2): Ghost in the Machine, The Dweller in the Depths, Nightmare Planet, The Ultimate Weapon, The Quintesson Journal, The Big Broadcast of 2006, Only Human, Grimlock's New Brain, Money Is Everything, Call of the Primitives, The Burden Hardest to Bear, The Face of Nijika, The Return of Optimus Prime (Parts 1 & 2)
Season 4: The Rebirth (Part 1), The Rebirth (Part 2), The Rebirth (Part 3)

This is the one fans have been waiting for. On March 9th you can transform and roll out to a store near you and complete your original-series Transformers collection.
Old 02-02-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Awesome!
Old 02-02-04, 10:05 PM

Rhino does have plans to release a two disc set of Transformers the movie.
Old 02-02-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
amazing. I still need to catch up and get the other Transformer sets, I only have season 1.
Old 02-02-04, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I remember there being talk about a re-release of the movie a few months ago. Not sure what become of it.
Old 02-02-04, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was wondering if Return of Optimus Prime was to be included with this last set. Now I can go preorder this sucker.
Old 02-02-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Suddenly I have this nightmarish vision of Autobot SUV's and Bentley's coming down the streets of the ghetto with Ludricious's "Roll Out!" song on...

How many sets are now out for all of the episodes?
Old 02-03-04, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts
Season 1
Season 2, Part 1
Season 2, Part 2
Transformers The Movie
Season 3, Part 1
Season 3, Part 2 and Season 4
Old 02-03-04, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Yippee! Another TV set will be complete.
Old 02-03-04, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Awesome.

Sadly enough, I don't have any of the TV Sets. I hope to purchase them eventually though.
Old 02-03-04, 08:14 AM

I want to get the set also, but this is alot of money. So my question is, will I miss out on anything if I wait.
Old 02-03-04, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I had Seasons 1 & 2 completed, but I sold them because I did not think I would ever watch the episodes a second time. I loved the movie so I kept it, but I would be willing to double dip on that one.
Old 02-03-04, 08:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
This is great, and it's coming at just the right time. I bought all of the other TF Season sets during the big DDD sale (couldn't pass them up at that price) and am just getting ready to start watching Season 2. This should be out around the time I'm done with the rest of the series!
Old 02-03-04, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't forget to watch the S3 episode "Dark Awakening" before the "Return of Optimus Prime." They pick up where "Dark Awakening" left off.
Old 02-03-04, 09:35 AM

Finally able to complete the series!
Old 02-03-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Very nice
Old 02-03-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
congrats rhino! You did one amazing job releasing these cartoons!
Old 02-05-04, 05:34 PM

Does anyone know when sites like Amazon and DDD will start listing it with it being a little more than a month away?

Paul