Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

concerning Philips 42" HDTV Plasma Monitor

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-04, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently purchased 42" Philips Model 42FD9954 Plasma Monitor. Overjoyed with it and resolution from HD cable broadcasts. Items for discussion:

1. The DVI input connector is not compliant with HDCP (High-Bandwidth Content Protection) So will not work with the Samsung Model HD-931 DVD Player. I bought one and returned it within 2 hours of the purchase. To my knowledge, it and the V Inc. D1 unit are the only ones that put our 1080i signal from the DVD.

2. Differences between DVI-I and DVI-D need to be discussed. I am at a loss.

3. I now have seen in the store 3 different versions of a DVI cable. What are the pin configurations for the various formats? The maximum number of pins that I see you could have would be an array of 3 x 8 main contacts, the knife blade contact that is in all cables and the 2 x 2 contacts above and below the knife contact. That makes 28 pin contacts and the knife contact. what does this mean???

4. I'm currently connected thru the RGB connections to get the 1080i signal off cable. Works fine. Is this a digital signal or an analog signal? Would it improve if I connect to the DVI connector on the cable box? If so, what cable would I use??? Cable company gives free monster cables for the RGB hookup and do not hookup the DVI interface.

Bottom line is, I want to get the maximum performance out of DVD movies with the Philips screen. Samsung seems to have the DVD playback technology to upscale 480i to 1080i and transmit thru the DVI output. They seem to not transmit 1080i out the RGB connection as the cable box does. V Inc. seems to have similar technology, but V is certainly unknown to me. I'm glad I didn't mailorder the Samsung, because that would have been a hassle to return.
Old 02-02-04, 06:00 PM

1. Momitsu's V880 is another good choice, probably better than the Bravo D1. It allows you to choose between video input levels and PC levels. The D1 only outputs video, the Samsung only outputs PC.

2. DVI-I output allows you to output DVI or VGA (using a cheap adaptor). DVI-D only outputs digital (DVI).

3. You only need DVI-D:

http://www2.dvigear.com/coreta.html

4. RGB connections? You mean 3 RCA connectors, or the VGA looking connector? Both are analog. DVI is higher quality. You'd use a DVI-D cable.
Old 02-03-04, 09:31 AM

RGB question

I am hooked up to the 3 RCA jacks from the cable box. The monitor can receive HD-YPbPr and HD-RGB thru those ports. The cable comes in HD-PbPr and looks great on high definition channels.

You say that I need the DVI-D cable. The stores that I have been in do not distinguish cables at being -I or -D. What is the pin configuration for a DVI-D cable?
Old 02-03-04, 05:11 PM

Take a look at the link above, all of the pictures are RIGHT THERE.