Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Prices not so competitive anymore.

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 02-01-04, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems that ever since Best Buy came out with their REWARDS ZONE program, that $15 DVD New Releases have, for the most part, gone by the wayside.

Is the competitive pricing war between the chains no longer paying off? I could usually count on Circuit City and Best Buy trying to outdo eachother, but it does not seem that they bother anymore, or are at least price fixing to match eachother.

Another week, another unspectacular price for the main new release. Lost in Translation = $19.99. Some might argue that this movie is of limited interest and not a big earner, therefore would not generate much sales with a super low price. I disagree. I remember when Royal Tennenbaums Criterion came out, my BB had it for $14.99! RT had a decent size B.O., but really, in comparison, so has LIT. A $4 million dollar movie which has so far earned $37 million, not bad at all. Not to mention LIT being nominated for so many Oscars, Including BP, BD and BA. LIT has so much word of mouth on it right now, that I almost think that releasing it on DVD now is a little premature, but that is not the point of this topic.

It seems that the major retailers are abandoning the low pricing, and settling at the $20 price point. That is, at least with the retailers in my area. Is anyone noticing the same thing where they live?
Old 02-01-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you may be jumping the gun a little bit. Nothing great is at the theaters, the weather is miserable in most of the country, and there are a million or so people with brand new dvd players. There isn't a whole lot competeing for your entertainment dollar at this point in time, so BB can hike prices and still do solid sales.

I believe that when the weather improves and the blockbuster movie season starts, prices will begin to drop once again.

[edit]Or when the olympics start - I forgot about those.

Last edited by BigPete; 02-01-04 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-01-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I remember reading an article quoting senior management at Best Buy saying that they were not going to have heavily discounted post-Christmas sales because "they didn't have to" (sorry, I can't find the article, but I did look). It's almost as if Best Buy is claiming victory in the DVD price war and has abandoned heavy discounts. I think it's only temporary as someone is sure to challenge them again, but for now, they're sitting in the catbird's seat and they know it.
Old 02-01-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't see anything different about current sales. Come on, countless releases have been 15.99 lately. American Wedding, Freddy vs. Jason, Once Upon a Time in Mexico.

Lost in Translation is FAR from being the "main new release" for the week. While its a great movie, incredibly successful, and getting great Oscar buzz, it hasn't exactly been hyped up or a must see for the average joe.
Old 02-01-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best Buy's prices are definitely not quite as good as they used to be on new DVD releases. A few times I ended up going to Circuit City or Target to save a buck or two.

Also, notice how virtually every new DVD used to be $14.99 (sometimes even cheaper) on release day? Now most are $15.99 or $16.99.
Old 02-01-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I'd agree that I've noticed Best Buy's prices really haven't been all that hot lately. And I mean for several months. DavidH is right, in that many new releases used to be $14.99, and now that seems almost unheard of. Target, CC, or Walmart are often better for me, often all three on a particular title.

Lost in Translation is a poor example though. There are too many other movies (some with bigger box office) coming out this week. I suggest the best place is probably Walmart, although YMMV.

Last edited by Jericho; 02-01-04 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-01-04, 02:44 PM

Maybe they have figured that having these "loss leaders" don't work as well as they used to. They have those low prices to get people into the store and hopefully buy additional "regular price" items while they are there. It sounds like most people on this board (me included) go to whoever has the cheapest price for the week, even if it means going to 2 or 3 stores to get the items you want.
Old 02-01-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by k_lodge
Maybe they have figured that having these "loss leaders" don't work as well as they used to. They have those low prices to get people into the store and hopefully buy additional "regular price" items while they are there. It sounds like most people on this board (me included) go to whoever has the cheapest price for the week, even if it means going to 2 or 3 stores to get the items you want.
I agree 100%.
Old 02-01-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I think you guys have been spoiled by the fact that the last movies that were released at 14.99 were all big blockbusters and were also pre-christmas releases, like X2, Pirates, and Nemo.

As far as i can tell, new releases have been, and continue to hover around 15.99. Thinking back, i don't remember too many titles that were 14.99.
Old 02-01-04, 03:02 PM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

Pirates was actually $15.99 at Best Buy and I believe Nemo was, too. It came with a little CD case though. I'm pretty sure X2 was also $15.99 opening week at Best Buy.

Still very reasonable prices for the larger releases.
Old 02-01-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Interesting statement regarding not needing to be competitive, especially after Christmas with so many new players and people wanting to start a collection. Well, I don't shop much at Best Buy much due to the lack of release day deals on the titles that I want (not to say that the major releases aren't priced as loss leaders, I'm just not interested in many of those).

I was looking forward to picking up LiT, American Splendor and The Thorn Birds this week at a B&M, but I'll probably order from Amazon w/ STL.
Old 02-01-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, Best Buy raised the price on their Blockbuster Loss Leader from $14.99 to $15.99 about five or six months ago.
Old 02-01-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts
There has been a "price creep" going on a Best Buy for quite some time.

Forgetting about new releases, I've been noticing that a lot of their catalog titles are now selling for MSRP or greater.

The Babylon 5 Season One set is priced at $99.99, which is MSRP.

And looking through the music DVDs, I've discovered that the Guns and Roses video colletion, as well as Judas Priest's "Electric Eye," both which have a MSRP of ~$15, both sell at Best Buy for $17.99.
Old 02-01-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also notice that Lost in Translation is 19.99 at Circuit City and Target as well.

I am not sure about Fry's and all that other stuff cause those ain't near me.
Old 02-01-04, 08:03 PM

Lost in Translation is going to be $15.99 at Fry's on Tuesday.
Old 02-01-04, 08:13 PM

I've been thinking about this lately. I've been checking at Best Buy, Circuit City and Target the week a movie is released and have noticed all of the titles I am interested in are priced "on sale" for $19.99.
Old 02-01-04, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
Nemo was indeed 15.99; I got it on 11/07 for 14.39 using the 10%-off Disney coupon.
I think we're seeing both 'because we can' [like someone said, many people have DVD players now, and many people go in and don't buy as much stuff along with the loss leaders as they used to], and post-holiday effects.
I have been sorely disappointed in the last couple weeks worth of BB sales circulars. I got a PS2 for Christmas, so now I'm looking at the video game sections along with the dvd sections [although I do read the whole thing.] But BB is not the best-buy anymore that it used to be [or at least better buy.] But I still have some gift cards/RZ certs, and 2 5-off-20 video game coupons, so I will keep my eyes open.
Old 02-01-04, 08:36 PM
Suspended

I used to buy all my dvds from bestbuy.com but lately I've been buying them from places like Amazon.com and DigitalEyes.net, free shipping and no tax unlike Bestbuy.
Old 02-01-04, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
I'll still go to Best Buy for some buying. Just recently they had El Mariachi, Desperado and Once Upon A Time in Mexico for $24.99.

Hell, if Best Buy wants to raise their prices, more power to them. For new releases, I just check around to see who has the best price and go there. I don't see what the problem is.
Old 02-01-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Their Anime section has crept pretty close to MSRP for the most part, although they used to be around 22.99 (for a 29.99 MSRP disc.)

Another thing that bugs me on Anime at BB is that many times, they don't even have it on street date, or for a week or two after...
Old 02-01-04, 09:36 PM

i went there today and picked up a copy of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Criterion Collection for 29.99. Though some of their recent sales are not like they used to be, forgive me, but 29 bucks for Criterion is pretty good for me.

MG26
Old 02-01-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
I agree that Best Buy's weekly new release sales aren't that hot anymore (minus the El Mariachi deal) but I still like their prices relatively. I remember at one time they had advertised the Evil Dead (Book of the Dead Edition) for only I think 12.99 or 14.99, I was an idiot not to hop on that deal. Even though their new release sales suck, I can always count on them to have pretty good prices on other DVDs, older ones perhaps.
Old 02-01-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best Buy raised their prices across the board, some hover at and even above MSRP. i wouldnt mind a buck or 2 increase if somehow their DVD section improved, but its gotten worse. non-LOTR DVDs take a couple weeks to get into stock. then they sit on the shelves and no one buys them because they were forced to get it elsewhere.

the new buzz word, buzz phrase, around the forums when new releases are announced seems to be "Its ONLY the MSRP, dont worry about it". well, the higher the MSRP, the higher the price will be after discount. so it does matter.
Old 02-01-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by littlefuzzy
Their Anime section has crept pretty close to MSRP for the most part, although they used to be around 22.99 (for a 29.99 MSRP disc.)

Another thing that bugs me on Anime at BB is that many times, they don't even have it on street date, or for a week or two after...

Yup, it kinda annoys me to shop at Best Buy for anime for these exact reasons.

It probably also doesnt help that i like smaller, less popular series.

One of these days "Those who hunt Elves"....you will be mine.
Old 02-02-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by MovieGuy26
i went there today and picked up a copy of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Criterion Collection for 29.99. Though some of their recent sales are not like they used to be, forgive me, but 29 bucks for Criterion is pretty good for me.

MG26
Got the same DVD from DDDVD for around $22 IIRC...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.