Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Perfect score -- surprisingly good!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last night I saw the perfect score and while I was expecting crap. I was pleasantly surprised how good it actually was. The asian kid in the movie really steals the show and you should see the movie just for his performance alone.

What did everyone else think?
Old 01-31-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard good things about the Asian pothead, too. But he looked really, really annoying in the trailer. Hm.
Old 01-31-04, 04:53 PM

I'll probably see this today or tomorrow, the same guy directed varsity blues which I thought was good.
Old 01-31-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah...It's also the same guy that directed GOOD BURGER
Old 01-31-04, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I found the story pretty thin, though Roy was funny in spots. The overstated reasons for boosting the SAT answers were uninspired, and the characterizations fall flat. The caper itself seem to lack tension and could have used better direction. So why did I subject myself to this film? Two words: Scarlett Johansson.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.

Last edited by Patman; 01-31-04 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-31-04, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll repost what I posted in the other thread because............ well I dont know why really.

I saw The Perfect Score about 8 months ago. It was pretty bad but I got to sit next to Brian Robbins and talk with him for a while and got his autograph. I told him how even though Ready to Rumble and Goodburger got some bad reviews, i really liked them.

I think the best line in the movie was where the smart girl asked Roy about what he wanted to be when he was older, and he began talking about Blanka and Street Fighter and how cool it was that someone came up with that stuff. The smart girl said something like "So you want to design video games?" and he said "No..... I want to be Blanka."
Old 01-31-04, 09:12 PM
Banned

I saw this today and while it was crap, Roy the pothead stole the show. It should have been a movie just based around him.

P.S. Darius miles is without a doubt the worst actor i have ever seen. He delivered every line in this movie like a zombie reading off a cue card. Somebody get this kid some decent acting lessons. Stick to basketball player.
Old 07-13-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
alright song questions. first one was a female punk rock song (they played it right after the asian pot head was introduced), and the other one, sounded like a more pop female rock song, it was played right before two characters nearly kissed on a roof top towards the end of the movie.
Old 07-13-04, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rypro 525
alright song questions. first one was a female punk rock song (they played it right after the asian pot head was introduced)
When I saw the movie, the song introducing the pot head was "Then I Got High" by Afroman.
Old 07-13-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by RyoHazuki
When I saw the movie, the song introducing the pot head was "Then I Got High" by Afroman.
it was the song played after that.
Old 07-13-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Originally posted by RyoHazuki
I'm guessing you didn't score real high in Reading Comprehension
Old 07-13-04, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rypro, Haven't seen it yet, but was it Everything from Fefe Dobson or maybe Unforgiven?

Gonna go rent it this weekend.

Scarlett Johansson

--------------------

and I believe it is Because I Got High not Then I Got High.

Last edited by conscience; 07-13-04 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-13-04, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
might pick this up sometime if it ever hits the Hollywood Video/Blockbuster shelves P/V, or is in a used DVD shop cheap enough.
Old 07-13-04, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You now do not have to sit through this God-awful film. Thank me later.
Old 07-13-04, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
You now do not have to sit through this God-awful film. Thank me later.
I'll thank you now.
Old 07-13-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Eh, it's just OK. Some good lines but basically it wants to be a cross between "The Breakfast Club" and "Ocean's 11," but doesn't really manage to be as good as either. 2 1/2 stars for me.
Old 07-19-04, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dear god I just watched the first 15 minutes and couldn't stand it, perhaps the MTV films logo should have tipped me off. Judging by these posts the asian kid is the highlight of the show, I guess they shoud have introduced him sooner.

Also, how the hell does the main character have a 3.7 GPA and he is ranked #105 in a class of 200+, yet the 'smart girl' also has a 3.7GPA and is ranked #2?

WTF do these people think the class ranking is based on?
Old 07-19-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really wanted to like this movie, since I dig teen flicks and like Scarlett (great animation in the post above...best part of the flick) but man, this was probably one of the worst movies I've seen in recent memory, and that is saying a lot (I see tons of movies). Not even worth the amount I paid to rent the thing... if this was on TV I wouldn't even watch it!

MATT
Old 07-19-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just saw this over the weekend, and DonnachaOne was right. That scene with Scarlett was the best part of the movie. I wanted to like it, and I love Scarlett...but this movie fell flat on it's face.

At least it wasn't as bad as The English Patient. But it came awfully close.
Old 07-19-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by wmansir
Dear god I just watched the first 15 minutes and couldn't stand it, perhaps the MTV films logo should have tipped me off. Judging by these posts the asian kid is the highlight of the show, I guess they shoud have introduced him sooner.

Also, how the hell does the main character have a 3.7 GPA and he is ranked #105 in a class of 200+, yet the 'smart girl' also has a 3.7GPA and is ranked #2?

WTF do these people think the class ranking is based on?
GPA is a totally subjective #. It's based on many, many, many variables. Some GPA's are weighted (i.e. an A in a regular class is a 4.0, an A in an honors class is a 5.0, and an A in an AP class is a 6.0). Some high schools will give A-'s, A's or A+'s (that's the equivalent of 3.7, 4.0 and 4.3) whereas other schools might just give a 4.0 for any scoring range from 90-100 (i.e. if you get a 90, you have the same GPA as a kid who got a 100).

There's also the size of the graduating class and the quality of the student's in the school.

For example, in New York, a kid whose ranked #1 in Stuyvesant or Bronx Science High Schools (roughly 800 kids in the class or something like that) is a lot higher than say Canarsie High School in Brooklyn. Actually, Stuy and Bronx Science don't have rankings but someone who would be ranked #200 in those schools would probably rank #1 or somewhere around there in a lesser school.

For example, I had a 3.8 in high school, took every honors and AP class possible and still was only ranked 15 out of 260. (this was partly because I didn't take honors band, orchestra or chroir which raised other students' rankings). If my GPA were weighted, it would've have been like a 4.6 or something like that.